Buying a lightweight calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi, what are your thoughts on buying a 6 week old 3/4 south pole 1/4 jersey bull calf, 6 weeks old, still on it's mom, doesn't know what grain is, for $300. Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea?

Can you buy it and leave it on the cow? I don't bottle feed if I can avoid it. I'd rather buy the pair and sell the cow later. And $300 for a 1/4 Jersey calf might be high.

Last edited:
what are your thoughts on buying a 6 week old 3/4 South Pole 1/4 Jersey bull calf
My first thought was penguins? :)
What the heck is a South Pole, must mean Red Poll.
OSU. lists over 250 cattle breeds and South Poll isn't on the list.

Turns out South Poll is a composite breed of Barzona - Red Angus - Senepol
to produce 1,000 lb cows bred for heat tolerance and grazing.

I don't think adding Jersey to the mix to keep as a breeding bull is a benefit.
So for a 6 week old 1/4 jersey 3/4 beef bull calf/steer.... 1.50 lb
If/when he weighs 150 lbs x 1.50 = $225
(and I think I'm being generous)
or buy him when he's weaned, castrated and vaccinated for $600
if you like or plan on raising grass fed beef.

Last edited:
I generally pay $200 to $250 for an all beef bottle calf. I thought the price was high on this calf, especially since I'd just be raising him to resell later and I don't know how much of the Jersey is going to show up later?? But I thought I'd ask. I've thought about trying to buy bottle calves at the sale barn, because, I think at times I could get a good deal, but I can't keep up with the auctioneer lol and last time I went they were selling for $300, Soo if I can get a calf private party for less than the barn I'm going to buy private party. I haven't found anyone yet who wants to teach me the auction lingo either lol

Because I have been raising bottle calves for 7 years now and I have raised a few beef calves a year on the bottle until weaned then I raised them until they were 8plus months old, . But this year I decided to do it on a slightly larger scale and I'm trying to get a group of calves together that are the same age. I already have 1 group of 3 another group of 4 and I'm trying to put together another small group of younger calves. I know this is small potatoes compared to a lot of you raising calves, but Im trying to start somewhere. I like bottle feeding calves, so that part of it doesn't bother me. I want to try small, keep track of my expenses and see if it pencils out.

It has penciled out with the ones I have done before, but I'm seeing if it still works for me with more calves, with the facilities I have,.

I have found the key, like most things, is in buying them right! And having a place to go with em ahead of time. As in... a place/person to sell em to.

And I'm not afraid to sell em 2 weeks after I get em if the price is right too. Holding them 2 or 3 weeks to get em straight takes a LOT of risk out of it for the folks that buy from me. And that's worth money in my book.

I lost one here a while back within a matter of hours of purchase. That hurt a little. Especially since I gave a few bucks more than I wanted to.

At 6 weeks, what is the probability of successful transition to a bottle? I would think either much younger or older (closer to real weaning) would be the better risk.

At 6 weeks, what is the probability of successful transition to a bottle? I would think either much younger or older (closer to real weaning) would be the better risk.
Looks like you made the decision before you posted the question. Against pretty much all the advice you've received.

Looks like you made the decision before you posted the question. Against pretty much all the advice you've received.
@Travlr You responded to the wrong person. I was asking hypotheticals about likelihood of actual transitioning a calf that young. I have no interest in bottle calves or anything younger than a good 4 months old.

@Travlr You responded to the wrong person. I was asking hypotheticals about likelihood of actual transitioning a calf that young. I have no interest in bottle calves or anything younger than a good 4 months old.
Hahah!
Both yalls name start with a capital H
And similar in length.
It happens. I didn't even notice either!
🤣

I thought @Hereford2 went ahead and pulled the trigger. Ain't nothing wrong it. Feed is cheaper than milk anyway. And it's all fun. I like the little calves myself. USUALLY easy to handle. And if ya can get em calmed down and straight, they sell well.