Star 5 Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

TK Ranch":1xlm6hlz said:
Yep all of it is white poplar if you go to the wet areas you get black

TK

Hehe and I thought my place was bad.....hate poplar.

Stuff grows so fast nothing else can beat it up and nobody wants it for firewood/logs so spend half my time just cutting poplar down to leave room for the maples, cherries, and oaks to come up.

The only thing that keeps them down is sheep,goats or a chain saw. we cut it and burn it all winter nothing else will grow around here. I lied, oak will grow if you have 100 years for a five inch trunk.

TK

Yea I burn the poplar too :lol: ...just have a hard time getting anyone to buy any of it hehe. It burns good but fast.

They all want hardwood firewood around here.....so I charge them $80 a face cord :) .

$80 for a cord of hardwood is cheap in this area. thay are advertising Oak and Birch in Winnipeg as high as $200 a cord delivered.
TK

TK Ranch":187gs658 said:
$80 for a cord of hardwood is cheap in this area. thay are advertising Oak and Birch in Winnipeg as high as $200 a cord delivered.
TK

Man I would love to get that kind of price for firewood lol.

I have to haul it 45 miles north to Buffalo to get my $80...locally I only get $55.

I can get over $100 a face for Apple....but apple is harder to come by without whacking down all my good trees hehe.

Way off toppic of rancj=hing and cattle, how big is you apple and have you ever turned any on a lathe ( bowls)

I just cut one down the other day that needed to be thinned from the area....bout 15 inches at the base.

Never did any of that wood working stuff.

Man would I like a chunkof that to turn. Too bad I'm not closer. Apple makes some nice looking bowls.

We cross ours on Limousin and Red Angus.

Just Recently we have started incorporating Duhram Red genetics instead of fRed Angus. We haven't seen the results yet.

The Limousin cross is beautiful imo.

I don't like the Hereford cross due to the white face. Its just a preference. Crossing a Santa with a Hereford is not hardly a Beefmaster.

Santa = 5/8 Shorthorn, 3/8 Brahman
Beefmaster = 1/2 Brahman, 1/4 Shorthorn, 1/4 Hereford
Santa x Hereford = 1/2 Hereford, 5/16 Shorthorn, 3/16 Brahman

Going from 1/2 to just 3/16 is a huge change in the amount of influence puts in a breed.

Back to the Star 5, I like the F2 generation of Star 5s the most.

jaydill":16tu6lz3 said:
I'm pretty sure this breed is more for show...but just wonderin if y'all ever heard of it? Just wonderin about the positives and negatives of it.
The cross has to be out of a registered gert parent. The ones I've seen and the ones that sell around Texas have been really nice. Mostly crosses on angus or hereford. Great momma potential. Nothing show about it, just a commercial cross. Ultimate gentics actually has a couple in there.

TK Ranch":2jnmvo9n said:
I hope this works I have never done this before. He is 50% Gert and 50% black angus
Bullsfeb06001.jpg

Let me Knaow what you think

TK
tk-

If you have read any of my posts, you already know what I think.

DOC HARRIS

He is fine looking. I saw a TCCA kid with a GertXMaine that was pretty salty too. Been noticing that there seems to be more interest in the Star 5s in the show ring recently.

Bward seems to have covered most everything, but a couple of additions. The National Junior Santa Gertrudis Heifer Show has a Star Five female show also, which may be part (i.e. an influencing factor) of the increased Star 5 visibility on the junior show circuit. Additionally, Star 5 steers (with one registered Santa Gertrudis parent) are eligible for the National Santa Gertrudis Feedout in Kingsville. I believe that 7/8 Santa Gertrudis animals are now eligible to be deemed purebred so long as they meet the requirements of the breed's Standard of Excellence, though you may want to check on this one--if you're into the show business, that would mean you'd never have a break in showing: 1/2 and 3/4 Santa Gertrudis could show Star 5, and then 7/8 could be back in the purebred show (at some junior shows at least). In short, it's a breed program designed to increase registrations from among commercial cattle, though I believe you have to be an "Active" or "Junior" member of SGBI in order to register animals. Several Santa Gertrudis sales (including the Breeders of the Carolinas Sale and the upcoming Mt. Laurel Classic Sale in GA) now have Star 5 lots in addition to purebred.

Bward was right, a Star 5 is anything crossed with one registered Santa Gertrudis parent. I have seen a lot of Gert x Hereford females and felt that they were an ideal cow for my area. Easier to handle than f1 Brahman x Herefords and just as productive. After seeing Gert x Red Angus females, I feel that cross may be better than the red motley faced Gert x Hereford.

Black Angus crosses well but prefer red cows for Texas summers.

A Star five is a gert (50% or more) crossed with anything. If you bred that Star 5 back to a gert and their offspring back to a gert that calve can be a registered Santa Gertrudis.

Latest posts