Standard lease agreement for hay ground ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here it's somewhere around 50/50, with the owner doing the irrigation, etc on moderate land.
I think the suggestions have been reasonable, 20% of the hay is yours, they take care of everything. If it's going to cost too much to haul, perhaps see what they'd pay for just a cash deal, and buy hay closer to you.

My biggest worry is that the land would be abused mined after some types of people use it.

I think you'll be fine with 25% of the hay and no inputs. Go there before the farmer starts doing anything and take a soil sample. Do a soil sample every year and just make sure that your land is getting better every year. Why would you want a hay lease? If he doesn't help your land and doesn't hold up his part of the agreement, all you have to do is tell him to get off.

I will do a 2 to 1 hay deal like I do now but I do not pay for any fertilizer or upkeep to the land. If im putting fertilizer down its on something I have full rights too or mine.

I know this is kind of a generic question but approximately how much fertilizer and what is the cost for 15 acres of grass.

Can the soil analysis to be done in the winter?

Belek near me fertilized his grass hay and said he got back 2-1 on fertilizer cost with better quality and more hay.

Named'em Tamed'em":1q8vf5eu said:
I know this is kind of a generic question but approximately how much fertilizer and what is the cost for 15 acres of grass.

Can the soil analysis to be done in the winter?

Belek near me fertilized his grass hay and said he got back 2-1 on fertilizer cost with better quality and more hay.
Yes, you can pul a soil sample now.
The soil test is inexpensive and a good friend. To some folks fertilizing means only ammonia nitrate. That will grow grass but not replace what the harvest has removed from the soil.
I generally put 200-300 lb. of 17-17-17 per acre on hay fields in the spring. Cost @ $525.00 per ton in the buggy. At 200 lb per acre on 15 acres you are looking at @ $787 for fertilizer. I come back after each cutting and put 100 lb. per acre of ammonia nitrate. Note these are my cost here and your soil and costs may be a lot different.
With blended fertilizer you have three main ingredients. Nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. The first number is the % of nitrogen lb., the second number is the phosphorus and the third is potassium. When you fertilize, the nitrogen is what greens up the grass and produces more hay. The phosphorus and potassium are building the soil. The nitrogen has an immediate affect, the other two take some time to work into the soil.
With nitrogen alone the grass will look great for a couple of years. Then it will begin to decline.
At least that is how it works here.
I am a big believer in fertilizer. Grow more hay on less ground.

From the first picture I thought that was Lake Roosevelt somewhere between Hunters and Rice. I have a good friend who lives up in Kettle Falls. I have driven that road a bunch of times. On the years I can get away I go help him thin out the whitetails. My buddies family has been there long enough that he had a great great uncle killed by the Indians while driving the stage coach.

Named'em Tamed'em":25mqbkwx said:
Winner winner chicken dinner very good job Dave, 1 mile south of Rice.

Scott

My buddy told me that someone along that stretch of road would give people directions to his house but telling them drive until you hit a deer, take a left at the next driveway, and you will be there.

Latest posts