Stand alone Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Murray Greys would do great in the Arctic or the Antarctic, especially the white ones......the Polar Bears would never see them!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although Tuli were developed in the most extreme of tropical conditions where many popular breeds literally do not survive,they are in African countries both sides of the equator, Australia, South America, Canada, And the United States.
I still do not consider them the ultimate breed, but one with a wide application in crossbreeding programs. They would have been introduced to most of the countries in which they are now found, back in the 1960's such was the interest, but purely political considerations prevented their export out of southern Africa untill the 1980's, so it will still be several more years before enough are in circulation for people to appreciate their potential in their commercial operations.

I HAVE A HERD OF REGISTERED GELBVIEH. THE PERFORMANCE, MILK, FERTILITY, FEED CONVERSION, CALVING EASE, AND DISPOSITION ARE EXCELLENT. WE SELL SEVERAL BULLS AND FEMALES TO PUREBRED AND TO COMMERCIAL CATTLEMEN. I HAVE NEVER ADVISED A COMMERCIAL CUSTOMER NOT TO CROSSBREED. ALL BREEDS HAVE THEIR STRENGHTS AND SHORTCOMINGS. IN ADDITION THERE IS ABOUT AS MUCH VARIATION BETWEEN ANIMALS WITHIN A BREED AS THERE IS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT BREEDS. THE KEY IS MATCHING THE CATTLE TO THE ENVIRONMENT YOU HAVE AND WHAT IT IS YOU WANT TO PRODUCE. WE HAVE BULL CUSTOMERS THAT BRED STRAIGHT ANGUS FOR YEARS AND WHEN THEY CROSSED THEM THEY GOT 50-100 LBS HEAVIER WEANING WEIGHTS AND BETTER MILKING, MORE FERTILE REPLACEMENT FEMALES.

mtnman":205144td said:
That would be Herefords, followed by Simmentals.

Then bos inducus.

Next, I think was Shorthorn.

mtnman
Are you guessing or did you research this? Simmental was the most populous beef breed in the world. Guess I better do some checking.
Edited - My mistake - I knew this - Brahman is number 1 and Simmental is number 2 most populous in the WORLD - researched "most populous beef breed in world"
Didn't find any site that "listed" the breeds in order. Anyone else find a "list"?

Well, we both got it wrong.

Bos Inducus is #1(but not Brahman) then Hereford, then Simmental.

Simmental lead registrations, Jeanne, but not cow numbers.

Brahman is only a small subset of bos inducus. So, rteally, it isn't even fair to say bos inducus is #1, and bos inducus covers about 15 strains of cattle.

Some of these internet searches are bogus, or made my folks with some bias.

Lipsey even told me Herefords were more populous than Simmies.

Angus are actually way down the list, behind lot's of other locally adapted animals. They are just popular here,a nd gaining in AU, so folks think it's that way everywhere.

Of the "real" breeds, Herefords would be 1st, and Simmies, 2nd, but that is 7 or 8 strains of Simmie, too, so kind of like bos inducus. LOL

mtnman

for angus too be way down the list. seems like theres a herd of um on every corner heck the commercial herds that aint strait angus have angus fused in them somewhere.

We're referring to "in the WORLD" not in US.
Mtmn, where did you get that info?? I would be really interested in checking it out. Have always heard what I printed above - but of course that's thru ASA. But, when I googled it, got many sites that said the same thing. Brahman than Simm. And yes, the Simm breed includes Fleckvieh, Pie Rouge, Montbeliarde, Abondance & Pezzata Rosa. My info says "second IN NUMBERS, only to Brahman, among all breeds worldwide."
Not a big deal, just would like to verify the info. Wouldn't want to continue "lieing" to customers :D

Can't remember for sure Jeanne.

I think I saw it at some presentation after a World Genetic Conference of some sort, but I don't know about that.

I had it handed out to me at a Stockgrower meeting. Talked it over with Lipsey, and Cunningham when he was at ASA.

mtnman

KMacGinley":2vhi0d7r said:
Ok you guys, which breed is best suited to stand alone/ no crossbreeding needed; and to produce The all things considered most efficient cow and the best end product. Please justify your choice! :D

I dont think there is.The key is MOST EFFICIENT. The cattle that are most efficient in the south wont be in the north and the same reversed. Think its a trick question but a good one for conversation

As others have stated probably no such thing as a stand alone breed. But if a person had to pick one breed only I would think maybe Brahman for the south and Shorthorn for the north.

Wouldn't think Brangus or Murrey grey or some of the other hybrid breeds would count since they are composites in themselves.

FL Cowboy":1ikditlu said:
KMacGinley":1ikditlu said:
Ok you guys, which breed is best suited to stand alone/ no crossbreeding needed; and to produce The all things considered most efficient cow and the best end product. Please justify your choice! :D

I dont think there is.The key is MOST EFFICIENT. The cattle that are most efficient in the south wont be in the north and the same reversed. Think its a trick question but a good one for conversation

A classic Hereford is going to be feed/forage efficient wherever you put it. Depends on what kind of efficiency we are discussing.