Stand alone Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Larger Gene Pools, no new genetics have been discovered in a petri dish as far as I know. The gene pool isn't getting any bigger.
I would bet Angus have a tighter gene pool now that 40 years ago as there are many lines that are next to extinct. Damn fads!

for my money it would be herefords, i have found them to tolerate heat surprisingly well, and let's face it, most continental or british breeds handle cold beautifully (i was told that if you could grow grass, 28 degrees is the perfect temperature to raise cattle? but that's probably a topic for another post!). i'll freely admit i'm not really up to speed on alot of the other breeds out there, i just feel herefords have become a really under-rated breed over the last few years, primarily because too many people have fallen under the CAB marketing spell, which is understandable, because they have commanded a premium for their cattle. but what drives me crazy is how many at the sale barn (at least in my area) figure black = angus. i have a friend with a registered simmental (black) herd and so many buyers at the sale barn always compliment him on his beautiful "angus" cattle, and he just smiles and watches the bidding get out of hand for these black "angus"!

Bullbuyer":2ejrhje8 said:
Angus - 'nuff said.
Better end product - and that is the bottom line. It doesn't matter about EPD's and maternal ability and all this other stuff that so many on here seem so worried about. If your consumer isn't loyal to your product, then all the data in the world isn't going to do you any good. Just try eating or spending that data.

It does matter about this other stuff. If the cow cannot make it and raise a calf in the environment you ask her to, then you donj't have a calf to sell. Carcass quality is important but not at the expense of reproduction.

BC":1b4xsehv said:
Bullbuyer":1b4xsehv said:
Angus - 'nuff said.
Better end product - and that is the bottom line. It doesn't matter about EPD's and maternal ability and all this other stuff that so many on here seem so worried about. If your consumer isn't loyal to your product, then all the data in the world isn't going to do you any good. Just try eating or spending that data.

It does matter about this other stuff. If the cow cannot make it and raise a calf in the environment you ask her to, then you donj't have a calf to sell. Carcass quality is important but not at the expense of reproduction.

Well said BC.

KMacGinley":369tckhh said:
SRR: Did you post some pictures of your Welsh Black bulls a while back. They were some fine looking animals if those were yours. :D

I've always liked the Red Angus cattle that I've been around. Some of them look a lot better to me than most of the blacks, especially the bulls pictured in the stud catalogs.

I like my Angus, but it is getting pretty darn hard for me to pick AI sires, especially young ones, because with all the marbling selection going on the ones most of them crow about in the ads look like black holsteins to me. :)

Some more info on Welsh Black cattle.

Animal Description:
As a weatherproof dual-purpose breed, Welsh Black Cattle are not only easy and inexpensive to care for, but they show a large profit return!

Welsh Black Cattle tend to have extremely docile temperaments after years of management by farm wives! They are quite easy to handle, with amiable temperaments, and adapt very well to many management systems. Welsh Black Cattle are also extremely hardy. Rain, sleet, snow and wind do not seem to particularly bother them, and they can survive on even poor graze. The thick coats, which render them so hardy, also help to keep Welsh Black Cattle relatively safe from insects!

At maturity, a Welsh Black Bull will generally stand 145 centimeters at the withers and weigh about 810 kilograms. Cows follow, at about 130 centimeters tall and 550 kilograms. Usually, Welsh Black Cattle have long, thick coats, although in the summer or in warmer climates, these coats are shed into sleek, shorter hair. The name Welsh Black is a bit deceiving, because some Welsh Black Cattle are actually red! In both colors, a bit of white on the navel line is allowed. The red color in Welsh Black Cattle always breeds true, while black crosses will sometimes result in red! Welsh Black Cattle are also available in horned or polled varieties. The lactations of Welsh Black cows are long and level, lasting from nine to 11 months and yielding about 4,000 kilograms of milk per lactation. The meat of Welsh Black Cattle is also quality, with a carcass yield usually around 63 percent! Welsh Black Cattle are quite long lived, and have been known to calve even up to 20 years of age! They are hardy and are valued as a cross breeding line, imparting quick growth and general vigor to their offspring.

The Welsh Black herd book was established in 1904, after centuries of breeding. Welsh Black Cattle are descendents of pre-Roman indigenous cattle, and originally were bred as two strains: the North Wales and the South Wales types. During the 1900's, the types have been interbred into a single breed. Traditionally kept on the harsh, cold, wet pastureland of Wales, the Welsh Black breed was basically developed by nature! Only cattle that were healthy, weatherproof, able to survive on poor graze, and able to reproduce easily survived! Later, because Welsh cattle were traditionally kept by farmers' wives, the cattle with bad temperaments and poor milking records were culled by the busy women who had no time to deal with unruly or inefficient cows! Today, Welsh Black Cattle are known and loved worldwide, and continue to be valued beef, dairy and crossbreeding cattle.

Specific Care Information:
Welsh Black Cattle are very hardy and need nothing more than a bit of shelter. They do best when housed for the coldest two to six months of the year, and thrive on mixed feed. Welsh Black Cattle can survive on very poor graze due to an adaptation in the rumen. This contains special bacteria, able to break down tough vegetable fiber and allowing Welsh Black Cattle to subsist on graze that other cattle would not be able to digest!

Breeding and Propagation:
Welsh Black Cattle are renowned for their extremely easy calvings and high milk production. They reach sexual maturity at only eight months of age and continue reproducing well up into their late teens! These cows have large reproductive tracts and are excellent mothers. They will allot all physical resources to their calves even in poor seasons, growing thin while their calves grow fat! The calves are vigorous and healthy, with high rates of gain.

I have never seen Welsh Black cattle but have read about them. There are some in Australia mainly in Victoria state. I think they have tremendous potential. It would be interesting to see whether they would produce a better black baldy than what is produced with an Angus/Hereford. I wonder whether they would be a better breed to grade up from for those wishing to breed Black versions of various breeds,ie South Devon,Simmental,Maine Anjou,Limousin etc etc. The thing that I have noticed about them is their climatic adaptability,short coats for the hotter climes and a bit longer for the cold. They seem to be excellent foragers.
They are just one of the many very useful smaller numbered breeds that lack promotion.
Colin. ;-)

kaneranch":27rf8e4a said:
I went with a friend a week ago to look at buying some club calves. I was very impressed with there show cattle and a breed that they crossed with them, breinvieh (sp). They crossed very well and they pure bred good as well. I had not really even heard of this breed but it would be something I would look into.

Any chance you went to Adair OK?

I know a bloke who has a few Welsh Blacks... not bad cattle, hairy but! :p
kaneranch- Did you mean Braunvieh? there's a few around the SE of South Australia and across into Victoria... the ones I've seen are very good cattle, great muscling which surprised me.

Murray Grey will come as close to it as you can get. As I have pointed out before...you will find them producing from South America all the way up into Canada. They are now introducing them into the continent of Africa. No brag...just fact! ;-) :cboy:

KMacGinley":33tt9ezl said:
Ok you guys, which breed is best suited to stand alone/ no crossbreeding needed; and to produce The all things considered most efficient cow and the best end product. Please justify your choice! :D
Holstein You can milk it or eat it. Thats a versatile cow. Our neighbor with an angus herd would brag his cows up all the time I asked him to go ahead and milk one and tell me how well it worked. He tried it once. JUST ONCE. Then he went to the dentist.
Just kidding a holstein would never work. But it does have 2 good end products milk and meat.

Great thread. Makes your noggin kick in stuff.

Gotta go with the Angus, because it is what I have experience with, but I have a Brown Swiss here that has given me the best carcasses for freezer meat every year. But that is bred to the Angus bull.

But I got some black girls here who I could probably milk. If I raised em as dairy they might surprise you. Imagine that!! Black Angus White Milk!! If Springer gets his way kids will be asking, " Mommy , can we have some Grey milk with lunch??"

CB, brimmers?? Cows aint supposed to fly, with ears like that!!
:lol: :lol:

That would be Herefords, followed by Simmentals.

Then bos inducus.

Next, I think was Shorthorn.

mtnman

KMacGinley":3u4zsxl8 said:
Ok you guys, which breed is best suited to stand alone/ no crossbreeding needed; and to produce The all things considered most efficient cow and the best end product. Please justify your choice! :D

Angus. People are doing it all over the country. Now, not just any Angus cow bred to any Angus bull. But if you pay attention and use the right genetics, I think you can produce calves that will hit the high end market consistently with straight Angus breeding.

Latest posts