SSS

Help Support CattleToday:

I still confused and a little concerned. I checked out Dun's link and I'm still not sure.

We have a lot of black vultures here in North Florida but I haven't heard any stories of their aggressiveness towards cows or any incapacitated animals. I'll definitely ask around at the cattlemen's meeting in a few weeks.

In the meantime, are the birds you guys are talking about in Texas these big black headed birds with white wingtips? Or, do they have white feathers on their necks or heads, like a Mexican eagle?

I think I'll be buying some more ammo, just in case... :lol:

Those d**n Mexican buzzards are tough. I lost two calves to them a couple of years ago. Drove up on one cow wheeling like a buzz saw over her dead calf with 15 black vultures on the ground surrounding her. They are aggressive if you try to take their prey away.

The worst thing is that these creatures are protected by federal law under the Migratory Bird Act of 1919. It would take a change in that treaty and since our reelationship with our neighbors down south is not too good right now - fat chance.

US Fish and Wildlife Service can issue permits to remove some of them. Will cost landowner $100 per year for permit after they (US FWS) determine you have too many. Be careful, there is a hefty fine from the feds for killing the d**n things.

Little Cow":1lbi0iph said:
I still confused and a little concerned. I checked out Dun's link and I'm still not sure.

We have a lot of black vultures here in North Florida but I haven't heard any stories of their aggressiveness towards cows or any incapacitated animals. I'll definitely ask around at the cattlemen's meeting in a few weeks.

In the meantime, are the birds you guys are talking about in Texas these big black headed birds with white wingtips? Or, do they have white feathers on their necks or heads, like a Mexican eagle?

I think I'll be buying some more ammo, just in case... :lol:

The white is on the underside of the wings. They are much smaller than turkey buzzards and their heads are shaped differently and when they fly away they aren't nearly as lumbersome...in fact, I haven't seen any turkey buzzards in a while...just those mutants.

Alice

Alice

Are they the same birds that Tom Dague posted a picture of? If so, we have them, too. :shock:

Little Cow":1i8ue6w2 said:
Are they the same birds that Tom Dague posted a picture of? If so, we have them, too. :shock:

Yes, they are. And, you have my sympathies.

Alice

Friend of mine was fishing at belton lake when he saw a deer fawn jump into the lake with buzzards chasing it. They took the boat over to it and grabbed the fawn wich was just under the water and started to pull it out. He said it looked like part of its face was missing. He freaked and let it go. He's a close friend of mine and I always wondered about that story till I started hearing about how aggresive some vultures are. If they are going after calves it makes complete sense they would go after fawns.

Walt

What about getting a couple of good dogs to run with your cows like they do with goats? Anatolian shepherd or Great Pyranese. Looks like they could keep the buzzards away.

i dont know. i guess that would work if you didnt have a very big place or had all of your cows that were going to calve together. otherwise the cow going to the back 40 would be easy pickins.

I'm sure glad my girls have horns! I wouldn't mind seeing a vulture shish kebab on the end of one of their horns....

Little Cow":1fkxr0wj said:
I'm sure glad my girls have horns! I wouldn't mind seeing a vulture shish kebab on the end of one of their horns....

Yep. But it would have to be more than one. Your cow would need a dozen on her horns to be effective. They attack in flocks and that is exactly what their guise is. The cow will go after one, and then the others will attack the calf. One buzzard will roost close by the calf and wait for more to arrive. Once their numbers get big enough, they will start the attack. There were six roosting in close proximity to some calves of mine. The attack had not yet commenced. I was lucky. Three of those six weren't so lucky and three got away.

The deer comment was interesting and I hadn't thought of that. A fawn's defense is to lay motionless.

If a cow has a calf in heavy brush, there is possibly better chances for the calf and cow to fend off those buzzards. Chances are the buzzards won't even spot the calf.

I have mine penned up for calving. It is a reasonably sized pen, but I worried a little about another cow stepping on a new calf. I was planning on turning a restless cow close to calving out by herself into an adjoining pasture, but after reading this, I think not. If I can't watch them 24/7, I need to ensure they have numbers enough to defend themselves. I think the calves have a better chance against their aunties' hooves than those d*** vultures. Though I have not seen the size flocks you are describing, roadside buffets do attract as many as 15 at a time.

C HOLLAND":2wqqt36b said:
Caustic,,,,I want to know how did the sale go,,,were the prices up yesterday.

After the rodeo it was great had a F-1 flip over in the chute yesterday against the door and sent me flying. She really showed her ass yesterday I hope she is in a can of Alpo right now.
She was a F-1 Herf/brammer weighed 890 and brought 83 cents a pound.
Calfs brought from a 110 to 135.
Came home with a heavy Beefmaster 7 months breed for 590.00. Heavies were way down calfs still holding everthing else was going for can and cutter of 45 a 100 wt.

I hear there is a dairy buy-out coming soon. Canners are going to the crapper. Anyone else hear such?

Scotty":itdnjzoy said:
I hear there is a dairy buy-out coming soon. Canners are going to the crapper. Anyone else hear such?
yes the dairy buyout is coming again.the local sale barn here has already been authorized to sale the CWT herds to slaughter.but you have remember those dairies are going out for good.even though they can move a herd in the day after they sale out.an fire up the pipeline the next morning.

Bullbuyer":1e0jdoy9 said:
Caustic - What caliber are you using on these things? I saw a tree with about 8-10 in it the other day, didn't figure the 22 Mag. was going to be near enough as these things looked pretty big and I was about 75 yards out.
We haven't had any losses but I prefer prevention when possible.

.22 mag works well, just don't shoot at the wings.

We've had problems with them in S.W. Arkansas also. A year ago I checked on the cows late one afternoon and one of our young cows ( 2nd. calf ) had the calf laid up next to a fence with a treeline behind her and there was several of the varments on the ground she was fighting off. Several more was in the trees over head waiting for a opening. I made a lucky shot and hit the limb under one and it tumbled "head first" to the ground. That little tiger striped cow looked like a cat poncing, one jump and she had it with both front feet, nothing but feathers left! She had a clear understanding of what those hatefull birds wanted and she wasn't having none of it.

We did lose another calf about 10 days later that we think the buzzards got it.

;-)

I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH BUZZARDS HERE IN FL TOO.
I HAVE LOST TWO CALVES TO THEM THAT I KNOW OF & HAVE CHASED THEM OFF OF MANY MORE OF MINE & OTHER RANCHERS TOO. THEY DEFINATLY GO FOR THE EYEYS FIRST AS I HAVE A HIEFFER WITH ONE EYE STILL & THE TWO THAT I LOST ABOVE WE'RE EYELESS NEWBORNS STILL WARM AND KICKING WHEN I CHASED OFF THE BUZZARDS. BUZZARDS ROOST AT NIGHT IN THE TOP OF THE PINES, I USE A SPOT LIGHT AND 3" DOUBLE OO BUCK AND GIVE EM HELL.

ROCK-N-W":2n7zes37 said:
I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH BUZZARDS HERE IN FL TOO.
I HAVE LOST TWO CALVES TO THEM THAT I KNOW OF & HAVE CHASED THEM OFF OF MANY MORE OF MINE & OTHER RANCHERS TOO. THEY DEFINATLY GO FOR THE EYEYS FIRST AS I HAVE A HIEFFER WITH ONE EYE STILL & THE TWO THAT I LOST ABOVE WE'RE EYELESS NEWBORNS STILL WARM AND KICKING WHEN I CHASED OFF THE BUZZARDS. BUZZARDS ROOST AT NIGHT IN THE TOP OF THE PINES, I USE A SPOT LIGHT AND 3" DOUBLE OO BUCK AND GIVE EM be nice.

Shoot all you can...please!

Alice

We lost a cow and calf to buzzards. They pecked the calf's eyes out and ate the vulva and rectum on the cow. It was terrible. I hate those things.

Latest posts