SSS

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
This topic could have went on several boards, we are facing a real problem here with Black Buzzards.
They found a healty newborn at Camps and injured it bad. Also I had a cow get down after having a calf and they got her. Had to finish her off as well as Camp had to shoot the calf.
We are trying to graft my calf on his cow now.
Give me dogs anyday I can get everyone in the country within a week, these Demons are something else.

anti-freeze soaked roadkill on a 10 foot pole?

Frankie":4ccy82ai said:
That's terrible. I'm sorry you all are having such problems.

Frankie, I see more and more of these mutants everyday.

An old gentleman leases some property down the road from us and every so often brings in some heavy bred cows...usually 4 at a time. They calve, and he sells them off as pairs, and once they are gone he brings in some more (his son owns a sale barn close by).

The last bunch that were here...as I was driving into town I was looking, as I always do, to see if there are new babies. One had just been born and the reason I knew it was because there were about 3 of these hateful creatures sitting on the ground very close to the cow. I stopped the car and started to climb over the fence to run them off when another cow came up and started chasing the things off. The other cows came up to do their part.

I was relieved, yet I'm worried to death that at some point the mother cow won't get up in time...the other cows won't be around...something bad is gonna happen just because of the sheer numbers of these treacherous creatures constantly flying around looking and searching. :mad:

I wish I could find their nests...but as my mother used to say, "If wishes were horses, beggars could ride." It's true, something has got to be done.

Alice

Last year there were many stories coming out of the Chalk Mountain area about buzzards gouging the eyes of calves. This year a calf was taken down near Squaw Creek.

The most amazing story this year is that the Game Wardens (plural, more than one in the truck) called a rancher and told him the buzzards were on one of his calves and he needed to come shoot them. The Wardens couldn't shoot them but wanted to. I was talking to him at the feed store when the call came in so I know this is not BS. Hence, we are at a point of SS and need not worry about the third S.

I wouldn't go shooting Turkey Buzzards but the Mexican Buzzards have got to go.

I have seen Buzzards killing calves since I was a kid. Their may be more of it happening with these Mexican Buzzards, I don,t know. I beleive that wolves and coyotes have been blamed in the past for what buzzards were doing.

Caustic - What caliber are you using on these things? I saw a tree with about 8-10 in it the other day, didn't figure the 22 Mag. was going to be near enough as these things looked pretty big and I was about 75 yards out.
We haven't had any losses but I prefer prevention when possible.

Yikes... We don't get thoseblackheaded vultures up here, we just get the turkey ones (In large numbers too by the end of summer after they have raised a clutch) Never have any problems with them except they are kind of unattractive sitting on our fence posts sunning themselves...

Well here in Texas we really don't have anything to worry about. In 2 or 3 yearss TPWD will recognize that there is problem and conduct a survey at the end of which they will issue a report and the buzzards will just disappear. In the meantime SSS.......Z

those buzzards are bad news thats for sure.i talked to a guy in grosebeck 2wks ago.an he was having trouble with those buzzards.said that he knows they killed 2 calves jusst as soon as they was born.so he said he now carries his shot gun.an when he sees them he fires a few rounds.to run them off.

I hate that is happening for anyone, I've seen it before, and I have also seen something that does help. On a fresh/dead one I saw a person put Timik {sp}on it and the same evening there were 2 dead buzzards and 3 dead dogs. I think that is a good product, but be careful, it is very {real}. Use gloves, n wash good, quickly.

tryinhard

Yeah, it sounds terrible. I don't think we have those up here....yet. But don't forget that we do need regualr buzzards. They help keep the dead stuff cleaned up.

Can't you soak lye in corn and put it up high so that other animals couldn't get to it? I worked at a hospital years ago and that's how they got rid of the pidgeon problem (but I think they used other grains besides corn)

IL Rancher":jycs8lbv said:
Yikes... We don't get thoseblackheaded vultures up here, we just get the turkey ones (In large numbers too by the end of summer after they have raised a clutch) Never have any problems with them except they are kind of unattractive sitting on our fence posts sunning themselves...

Had a cow calve the other day and she was fighting the turkey vultures off so she could eat the AB. Kind of entertaining to watch

dun

Buzzards do not,repete,DO NOT eat grain of any kind..they are meat eaters only..

peg4x4":37lxxhxy said:
Buzzards do not,repete,DO NOT eat grain of any kind..they are meat eaters only..

I thought that was the case, Peg. I'd poison the horrible birds if I could, but to put it in meat would result in other meat eating animals getting into it and dying from it...and I'm not out to kill anything with poison...except these birds.

Alice

dun":3qyo7b6j said:
IL Rancher":3qyo7b6j said:

Had a cow calve the other day and she was fighting the turkey vultures off so she could eat the AB. Kind of entertaining to watch

dun

Lol... Ours aren't back yet, although the wife said she saw one the other day, I haven't.. Yeah, they do like that afterbirth, used to freak me out when I saw them jumping around in a field, thought maybe a dead calf or cow but 95% of the time it has been afterbirth.. They freaked me out last fall because they were in a field that had my cattle in it.. And I mean tons of them, though for sure something had been hit by lightning.. Nope, it was just one of those drought busting t-storms had left some good sized puddles and the vultures were in there getting some fresh water.. Must have been 3 dozen or more in there and more flying over head.

I had trouble with buzzards as well in the winter. I was calving heavy and the buzzards started flocking to the pasture. I looked out and saw 15 or 20 of them darn things on the ground and a new momma trying to defend her baby. Had she not had the help of some other cows I think I would have lost the calf. All I had was a single shot 20 gage with 7and a half shot but I made them take flight. I drove to the area where the buzzards were still flying overhead and shot most of the feathers off of several until they gained altitude and moved away. I had to stand guard for several days and shoot every time they came back but calving slacked off and the buzzards learned to keep their distance.

Latest posts