SSS

Help Support CattleToday:

Be carefull with poisons. Some are transmitted to non target animals from eating the target animal. You could open another can of worms by the neighbors dog eating the dead bird. Case in point last year there were over 20 poison cases worked by TDA were cotton farmers/ cattlemen were fined for using TEMIK to poison coyotes.

In SA Temik is controlled very strictly and no farmer is allowed to keep any on the farm, not even in a Eurepgap accredited poison shed. You need lab results to obtain Temik and even then it has to be used under the supervision of the supplier and what is left over he has to take away again.

but it does work a treat...

Frankie":kxe6vepm said:
Yeah, it sounds terrible. I don't think we have those up here....yet. But don't forget that we do need regualr buzzards. They help keep the dead stuff cleaned up.
Frankie - I'm surprised you don't have them in your part of Oklahoma - they are thick here in NW Arkansas :mad: (maybe it is all of the chicken houses in the area :roll: )
10.gif
know it is them when you see the white feathers on the underside of their wings as they fly over.

mdmdogs3

mdmdogs3":2rjlzmz2 said:
know it is them when you see the white feathers on the underside of their wings as they fly over.
mdmdogs3

You're exactly right. They kind of remind me of white winged doves in a way. The grey/white can be detected on the top side too when they are flying away from you. They do not have the red neck that turkey buzzards have. Their head looks more like that of a crow.

The article says that the King Vulture is black until age three and then gets white feathers. Maybe that's the right one?

mdmdogs3":2rtz430u said:
Frankie":2rtz430u said:
Yeah, it sounds terrible. I don't think we have those up here....yet. But don't forget that we do need regualr buzzards. They help keep the dead stuff cleaned up.
Frankie - I'm surprised you don't have them in your part of Oklahoma - they are thick here in NW Arkansas :mad: (maybe it is all of the chicken houses in the area :roll: )
10.gif

mdmdogs3

I'm surprised, too, if they're that far north. But I've seen nothing but our usual ugly buzzards here and none of them have been agressive toward the cattle. I'll look at some of the links posted here.

It sounds like they are all around us but I've seen nothing like that in this area. The ones we have show no aggressiveness toward cattle at all. What we do have here in abundance are Mexican Eagles but they are almost docile. I've driven within 10' of them sitting on a fence post and they will just sit and look at you.Z

http://www.rshantz.com/Animals/Birds/Ea ... racara.htm

backhoeboogie":1zz3i4kc said:
mdmdogs3":1zz3i4kc said:
mdmdogs3

You're exactly right. They kind of remind me of white winged doves in a way. The grey/white can be detected on the top side too when they are flying away from you. They do not have the red neck that turkey buzzards have. Their head looks more like that of a crow.

There were 30 to 35 on the cow they attack in flocks I read they can smell the after birth from like 40 miles off. I believe it you could see them straming in from over the horizon. Old turkey buzzards are not bad the devils are as they are raptor/scavangers. To answer an earlier question I use a 22 mag. This evening is going to be a 16 gauge with buckshot as they come in to the old cow. To top it off the worthless things wont eat a hog you can shoot one and it rot down.

Funny you bring this up now. Yesterday at work, while driving my rounds, I noticed a flock of about 50 all standing around, realized it was calf the had 'surrounded'. Calf got into a different field from momma, calf was kicking and I knew right off what kind of birds they were. The worst kind! I turned the dog loose, chased the birds off long enough for the calf to be brought to a more suitable location.

2 years ago, those blasted birds managed to kill and maim (enough for the calf to be put down) several calves up there where I work.

Evil bird indeed. I like the Turkey vulture, but not those hateful things.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2x38kl7s said:
dun":2x38kl7s said:
Do you suppose they taste like chicken?

dun

There's one way to find out. ;-)

Katherine

Fortunatly we don;t have those accursed things up here. I just figured it would be a good way to dispose of the carcass

dun

dun":k19j3sc3 said:
Fortunatly we don;t have those accursed things up here. I just figured it would be a good way to dispose of the carcass

dun

You are fortunate.

Well, if people don't eat 'em, perhaps they can be fed to the dogs or the "good" vultures. Waste-not-want-not I say. ;-)

Katherine

Lost a newborn calf a few months ago. It was up and going when I left for work and 4 hours later the buzzards were circling. The eyes were pecked. I am almost certain the buzzards caused it. Another calf was born a few days later and they loaded up in a nearby tree. I was at home that day and ran them off before they did any damage. I was recently at my brother-in-laws place about thirty miles away and there was a steady stream of the things flying from SW to NE. Looking back SW they were as far as you could see.

I don't see them much in the winter, but I had a late calf this year. The owners of the land I lease called to tell me I had a calf down and the vultures were after it. The man went and ran off the beasts, and it was a new born calf. He still had his eyes and isn't worse for the wear as of now. It's a good thing they like to watch our cows.

Caustic Burno":zto6brfc said:
backhoeboogie":zto6brfc said:
mdmdogs3":zto6brfc said:
mdmdogs3

There were 30 to 35 on the cow they attack in flocks I read they can smell the after birth from like 40 miles off. I believe it you could see them straming in from over the horizon. Old turkey buzzards are not bad the devils are as they are raptor/scavangers. To answer an earlier question I use a 22 mag. This evening is going to be a 16 gauge with buckshot as they come in to the old cow. To top it off the worthless things wont eat a hog you can shoot one and it rot down.
Well Caustic,you caint blame em for prefering beef over pork....I think the buzzards in Texas are migratory,they head south into mexico in winter,problem is ,if the winter dont get cold enough to drive them south,we have them year round,they like to roost on the tallest structure they can find,around here that is the main electrical transmission towers,you can smell where they been roosting a mile off,be a good place to wait on em with a scoped 22 mag,to be honest I have never had any trouble out of them,but hear lots of stories/complaints about them killin calfs............good luck

Good luck shooting at them. I shot at a lot of them years ago, never hit one. Dad said they were about 90% feather.
Their defense is to puke on you if you ever catch one.
You should see what they do to a windshield at 70 mph.
The smell is worse than hitting a skunk.

Latest posts