Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
A couple of questions for everyone on here. We're looking to add one next year to our place and I'm starting to work on things now so it's not a big mess at that point. Can I put one on crushed gravel instead of a concrete pad? How would you anchor it like that. Putting in railroad ties is not a problem, I can do that all day long. Also, what is the best way to move it around?

Thanks

I bought one earlier this year. I poured a concrete pad for mine and anchored it to the concrete. I poured a pad around 6 ft wide and 16 ft long I think. I just bought bagged concrete from lowes and mixed it myself.

Mine sits on scales and I just dug some trenches about 8" deep and 12" wide and set the scales on them and the chute on top. The trenches have wire in them for reinforcement. The scales are bolted to the concrete. This is under a roof so mud is not a problem. If out in the open, I would pour a slab big enough to where you won't be standing in mud.

If you do pour a slab, did out the ground where it will be close to ground level. You don't want the animals to have to jump up to get in the chute.

I used the hay forks on the tractor to set mine in place.

0309181733c_zpsaajc2ldo.jpg

I didn't pour a slab, a squeeze chute doesn't need to be anchored.
If you do put gravel under the chute itself, use something fine like 21a or crusher run and pack it tight.
I set mine up on dry ground, then spread some 3" stone around everything to walk on.

I'm a Priefert man, I love their products and swear by them. I still have an old model 91 head gate that's probably 30 years old or more and works great.
As you may know, Priefert is somewhat unique in their head gate design. I think it sets them ahead of the rest imo.

My old bull is tame as a puppy, he was perfectly willing to be vaccinated. He seemed embarrassed when he was too fat for the alley.

0306181617_zpse3vw7kmv.jpg

Supa Dexta":3qruiqi9 said:
What do you mean move it around?

But yes you can set ties and then anchor it down to them.

To get it off the trailer and set.

Bestoutwest":d6nif52a said:
Supa Dexta":d6nif52a said:

If you have a loader with pallet forks, you can move just about any squeeze chute around. A lot of the better quality chutes will have anchor points made for pallet forks where the equipment is balanced best when moving.

TN Cattle Man":lv2l3il8 said:
Bestoutwest":lv2l3il8 said:
Supa Dexta":lv2l3il8 said:

If you have a loader with pallet forks, you can move just about any squeeze chute around. A lot of the better quality chutes will have anchor points made for pallet forks where the equipment is balanced best when moving.

Sioux Steel does that I hear.

We use hay forks to move ours, an old pearson, but it just sits on the ground. It is chained to cemented posts front and rear.

I would suggest anchoring it down. I know cattle are just supposed to walk into the chute, but they may have other ideas. Then when you get them caught they can dang sure thrash around. It will move on ya if either of these occur. We just have ours on the ground, and unless a person is running thousands of head through they aren't going to make a big hole in front of it. Make sure it's level and anchored though. Ours is just to posts on the back, but it keeps them from moving it forward when they hit the head gates hard.

Latest posts