Square Meaters.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
i come from the land down under, where women blow
Hello, again - havent posted in a while...

Long story short. at the moment we are running Charbray weaners for fattening to be sold at sale. But the prices are pretty low...not making much profit at all.

So thinking about going into stud cattle. Square Meaters are our pick at the moment - and have been for about a year..we just dont know if its the right thing to get into up here..there are a few studs down south, but here many people think it would be crazy to put these 'soft' cattle onto the country... a few people have voiced their support but its a lot of money to spend and lose if it doesnt go right.

what are your thoughts/opinions whatever..even information you have about the breed itself....

Thanks in advanced.

Skye

I quite like them. They have all the positive characteristics of Murray Grey's. Although it does depend where you are, if you're anywhere above the Tropic of Capricorn, I wouldn't recommend them. I find they're quite easy doing, and a lot of the time are real meat packs!

The best person for you to talk to would be Keren, she know's quite a bit more about the breed than I do, and has worked quite a lot with them as far as I know.

Thanks Bek. We're situated in between Mackay & Rockhampton, Queensland Australia. So, i beleive i am just below the tropic of capricorn.

The rate at which the pack on the beef is what caught our attnetion in the first place. Thanks again.

i just noticed your in Australia too. lol. oh well.

- Claireview -":t346uds2 said:
Hello, again - havent posted in a while...

Long story short. at the moment we are running Charbray weaners for fattening to be sold at sale. But the prices are pretty low...not making much profit at all.

So thinking about going into stud cattle. Square Meaters are our pick at the moment - and have been for about a year..we just dont know if its the right thing to get into up here..there are a few studs down south, but here many people think it would be crazy to put these 'soft' cattle onto the country... a few people have voiced their support but its a lot of money to spend and lose if it doesnt go right.

what are your thoughts/opinions whatever..even information you have about the breed itself....

Thanks in advanced.

Skye

I've heard from an Aussie friend that a lady with the last
name of "Thompson" has the best group of square meaters
in Australia. I think they are about the size of Lowline
Angus, but possibly just a tad taller. They have specifics
in their registry about hip height.

Are you around the St Lawrence sort of area Clairview?

You could probably not have any problems with them around there, but if you're much higher it's probably getting to hot for them.

They're a bit bigger than lowlines, and aren't classed as miniatures. I learnt that the hard way, the SM people dont like them referred to as that :p

here's some better explained info on them

From http://www.squaremeaters.com.au

Square Meaters calves have low birth weights (20 to 30kg), are extremely efficient feed converters and produce a 260 to 300kg weaner, comparable in weight to mainstream beef calves, at 8 to 9 months

n the early 1990's well-known Sydney cattle breeder, Rick Pisaturo, looked at the status of the beef cattle industry and determined that a market existed for a specific type of beef animal. The direction that the beef cattle industry had taken during the 80's in producing bigger animals had come at a cost of the ability of animals to mature at an early age. The challenge was to breed a fast growing, early maturing animal with good muscling. The reputation of the original Murray Grey's meant that they were ideally suited as the base stock. By careful selection of breeding females and suitable older styled Murray Grey sires combined with careful genetic selection for the targeted traits resulted in the first Square Meater calves being born at Mandalong Stud in 1994.

A desirable side effect from the early maturing Square Meaters is that their overall size was slightly smaller than their Murray Grey ancestors. This smallness is reflected shortness of leg length not in a general miniaturisation of the animal.

So what has actually been achieved in breeding of Square Meaters?

Characteristically a typical Square Meater mature female will weigh around 450Kg and be around 125cm tall. She will have a deep body with a good udder and produce calves at 20-30Kg birth weight, with no calving difficultly, at 2 years of age. The young calves grow rapidly to achieve a live weight of 280-340 Kg at 9-11 months of age. From only a few weeks of age onwards the calves have a characteristic 'rounded bum' that is noticeable when comparing animals of other breeds at the same age.

Mature bulls weigh around 800Kg plus at around 130cm high, again with a deep body on short legs. Despite the shortness of leg, Square Meater bulls can easily serve larger females in commercial crossbreeding programs.

The Square Meaters Cattle Association does have a height restriction on the registering of bulls. At 12 months of age bulls cannot be less than 103cm and not more than 113cm. This regulation is aimed at providing a safeguard against animals becoming too small or regressing back to taller/slower growing characteristics.

here's some pictures

IMG_0789.jpg

earnie%20Img_0472.jpg

I believe Keren has worked with that cow and has nothing but praise for her. (Please correct me if I'm wrong Keren)

Oh boy, Bek, I could rave all day about that cow. She would be going on around 10 now and looks like a four year old. She has the most perfect jersey udder I have seen . . . she's pretty structurally correct, she's got the depth and the thickness that the breed is known for, she raises a whopping great calf, she's got a great temperament. The only thing I would fault her on is she is a tad fine boned. But she is one of the most successful stud/brood cows in the breed.

Claireview - However, I have had the opportunity to work with some over the last two years and this is how the breed has been explained to me:

The thing that separates square meaters cattle from other miniatures such as lowlines and dexters is that the latter are in every sense of the word 'miniature' while the square meaters are smaller because of reduced leg length. If you look at each of these breeds and a 'normal' sized breed, the square meaters are almost if not as long and deep in the body as the full sized breeds. Conversly, the lowline is shorter in the body, with finer bone structure and features. For this reason, square meater breeders in Australia don't like their cattle being called miniature ( I found this out the hard way! )

As for their relevance in the industry, the breed was developed using Murray Greys which displayed the maturity patterns of the 'old style' animals - short legs, thick body, easy fleshing, early maturing. They are a breed which aims to target the domestic vealer market. The idea is that these animals will be sold off the mother and because of their size reach the target weight, but also because of the maturity pattern have the desired finish as well, thus eliminating the need for feeding either on pasture or intensively.

Generally, the animals are very thickset and deep. They tend to have good temperament, although to be honest I have had trouble with some bulls having little man syndrome. Others have been sweet as pie. The calves grow like weeds - the cows are generally pretty milky. They are definitely a breed to consider if you want to target a milk fed vealer market or the lightweight domestic or restaurant/hotel market.

A word of warning though - the breed is in a bit of a difficult place at the moment - there are quite a few breeders whose animals have started to get too big - they are losing the early maturity patterns which define the breed, and they are getting very 'murray grey' type. This is because these breeders show, and because the judges like their cattle to look like mainstream breeds, they are breeding a type which will do well in the show ring. If you do decide to get into the breed, make sure the breeder you source your animals from is breeding the right type of animal.

As far as the climate issue is concerned, I'm not sure about it. Square Meaters do best on dairy country - since turning the calves off at a late weaning age straight to slaughter requires a fair bit of milk. They also do well in traditional grazing areas. Perhaps you could buy a few pairs or three in ones and see how they cope, versus your charbray?

As for the pictures, try:

http://www.mabelie.blogspot.com/

This site gives a heap of photos - some good SM animals, some not so good. On this site, 'Rainbow Estate Julia', 'Rainbow Estate Melody' and 'Rosie' are pretty good examples of SM females. Their herdsire I have not personally worked with, however, I showed the females they mention - Waratah, Alice and Amulet. They are outstanding females and excellent representatives of the breed.

You can also google it to get various pictures and info.

If you would like me to give you the contact details of some breeders, just let me know and I will PM you.

Here's a few breeder names in QLD for you Claireview.

These are towards the QLD/NSW border, but are quite reknowned in the Queensland show rings.

Warrill Creek
Vesco
Chipililo
Earles(i'm not sure if these guys are in qld, but im pretty sure they are)

I'm pretty sure at least 2 of them have websites which you'll be able to find through the SM website.

My husband and I have just started up a small Square Meaters Stud near Mackay in Queensland. We are having great success with them settling into the conditions here and are looking forward to promoting them to the region in the coming years.

There are obviously local issues that need to be addressed ie tick fever vaccinations etc. We purchased our cattle from tick-free areas of NSW and have ensured that all of our cattle are tick fever vaccinated. We have 17 stud cattle (including calves) from NSW and 3 Murray Grey heifers from Mt Mee Qld who have been transferred into the Square Meater herd book.

We also have another bull, two cows and three heifer calves coming from the same areas early next year.

To date, we have not had any hiccups with them. They are just fabulous beasts and we could not be happier with the way our stud is taking shape.

If you have any questions (or would like to come and have a look at our herd at any time), feel free to give me a call on 0417 609 415.

PS. Our stud name is Southern Cross Square Meaters Stud and we are the most northern stud to date.

Sharon

We've purchased cows (and a bull to come) from Thurloo Park and more cows and a bull from Stonehill Stud (which are all Woolaringa bloodlines).

Hadn't heard about the Southern Cross Murray Grey Stud but it was the most Australian stud prefix that we could come up with! Can't go wrong with that, I reckon.

Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated.

Well you are pretty safe with Thurloo and Woolaringa bloodlines, although you should keep watch on the type of animal you buy - currently there is a lot of politics going on in the breed and there are a lot of people breeding SMs that are too MG in type and not a true representative of the SM breed.

That cow Bek posted is Woolaringa Leanne - the closest animal I have seen to the perfect female.

Long body, shorter stocky legs and good straight spine. Definitely looks good to me.

My husband and I are keen to promote the breed itself and keep out of the politics.

Rod_Zodiac_02122007.JPG

This is Thurloo Park Zodiac (purchased with heifer calf at foot) who is our pride and joy!!

Anyone who is interested in Square Meaters in Australia, feel free to contact me or the lovely lady that we purchased Zodiac from (Julie Thompson of Thurloo Park Square Meaters Stud).

Latest posts