Lowline vs Square Meater

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
On beef quality alone(yield, marbling score) which of these small framed breeds is best? Doing a research on the matter it appears that the Square Meaters are small frame Murray Grey and the Lowlines are small frame Angus, so does it really translate to Angus vs Murray Grey for better beef qualify? I would guest that smaller framed cattle mature faster and put on more marbling than full sized cattle? :cboy:

Genetically, from what I have read, MGs are 99% Angus and LLs are 100% Angus, so there is probably little difference. Both have XLNT marbling and REA/CWT. Only draw back is they have to be direct marketed.

City Guy":rwltdmy5 said:
Genetically, from what I have read, MGs are 99% Angus and LLs are 100% Angus, so there is probably little difference. Both have XLNT marbling and REA/CWT. Only draw back is they have to be direct marketed.

thanks for your reply City Guy , its for my own beef consumption, I make a living off scale pounding Charolais cross calves, but I wish to experience the butter flavor of highly marbled beef, I already have a weaned Jersey steer, maybe a lowline or square meater steer will be as tasty. :cboy:

It's been our experience with our beef tasting events that dairy, dairy cross and dual-purpose cattle make the most flavorful carcasses. The key (it seems to me) is with breeds with higher butterfat content milk. If you want specific breeds we've used in our beef tastings that were highly regarded, LMK.

WalnutCrest":2w7q34s4 said:
If you want specific breeds we've used in our beef tastings that were highly regarded, LMK.

I'd appreciate it a lot :cboy:

Full disclosure --- we've never had a Murray Grey be a part of any of our beef tastings, so I can't really answer your question ... so, I'll just give you what I've got.

First, to let you know what we do, we prepare identical cuts of beef in an identical fashion and then sample each one and rank them -- nobody knows what is what until it's all over -- everything is considered from smell, flavor, juiciness, number of bites required to finish, etc. While we've had lots of these blind beef tastings, the beeves have varied at each one. We've not had each breed in each test, however, when we have had them side-by-side, here's how they compared against one another.

Dairy -- Jersey > Guernsey > Holstein
Dual Purpose -- Aubrac > Pinzgauer > Shorthorn (beef type, not dairy)
Dairy/BeefX -- Aubrac/Jersey > Black Angus/Holstein

It is true that Square Meaters are smaller framed Murray Greys. Our herd of Murray Greys average between a frame 4 and 4.5. We grass-finish our steers and process them at two years of age. Below are ribeye steaks from two different steers that we have processed. Murray Greys possess great carcass traits which allow them to marble well and produce extremely tender beef on grass alone.
IMG_2065_zpsb192df74.jpg

Grass-fed_Murray_Grey_Steaks.jpg

Someone posted(it could have been you Backbone Ranch) a MG/Guernsey cross that look very nice and fat, is he still around? Or if he has been butchered did you get a chance to take picks of his beef quality?

gaurus":3qwzhzk5 said:
Someone posted(it could have been you Backbone Ranch) a MG/Guernsey cross that look very nice and fat, is he still around? Or if he has been butchered did you get a chance to take picks of his beef quality?

That steer is not around anymore, but we retained his full sister who was born in 2012. She is now raising her third calf. We processed that particular steer back in 2013 at 2 years of age. Below is a photo of him a few weeks before he was processed. His steaks are actually shown in the bottom photo with the two steaks side-by-side.
IMG_2877_zps477c0adb.jpg

He had a 1490 lb live weight and a 904 lb carcass weight.

Backbone Ranch":q12nbli3 said:
That steer is not around anymore, but we retained his full sister who was born in 2012. She is now raising her third calf. We processed that particular steer back in 2013 at 2 years of age. Below is a photo of him a few weeks before he was processed. His steaks are actually shown in the bottom photo with the two steaks side-by-side.

Wow, that is going to be my New Year's resolution, get a Murray Grey/Guernsey cross steer, I can't believe how good the beef look, no yellow fat, exquisitely marbled and on grass alone, I am extremely impressed.

Grass-fed_Murray_Grey_Steaks.jpg

IMG_2877_zps477c0adb.jpg

The scurs came from the Guernsey?

@Aero

Digging up some old threads huh?

Murray Greys are polled and will take the horns off 90% of progeny (or so they say). Personally I think that so many of them in the US are breed ups that not all MGs are homozygous polled... Looks like the Guernsey came through more on this calf than most.

I'd still cook up that steak any day =)

Latest posts