square corners

Help Support CattleToday:

memanpa

Reaction score
wanting to do some cross fencing where the only reference line is one other fence, i know you can use the 3-4-5 method to get a square corner but in my mind as much as 1/16 of an inch off using that method could mean several feet on the opposite end depending on the length of the leg,
can you use multipals of that say 6'-8'-10' or 12-16-20 for a more accurate dimension?
or is there a better way short of having a surveyor lay it out?
thanks in advance

Geometry is geometry. A 90 degree angle is still a 90 degree angle whether or not the angle sides are 3" or 3 miles.

To line up with a distant point, of course the most accurate way is to use a transit. If you are concerned about property lines, a transit is mandatory. If it's only for cross fencing or pens, then the "angle" method would be sufficient.

memanpa":13cc044i said:
wanting to do some cross fencing where the only reference line is one other fence, i know you can use the 3-4-5 method to get a square corner but in my mind as much as 1/16 of an inch off using that method could mean several feet on the opposite end depending on the length of the leg,
can you use multipals of that say 6'-8'-10' or 12-16-20 for a more accurate dimension?
thanks in advance

Not to be a smart guy - but what about just the Mark One Eyeball?

Bez!

Bez!":24tzu63h said:
memanpa":24tzu63h said:
thanks in advance

Not to be a smart guy - but what about just the Mark One Eyeball?

Bez!

What are these square corners people talk about. Around here if a field has 7 or fewer corners we consider it square.

dun

To create a square corner using an old surveyors trick - stand with arms spread parallel to the fence you want to step off from - looking in the direction you want to lay the line.

Close your eyes and slowly bring both arms to the front - when your hands meet, open eyes and site down your arms.

You will be within inches of perfectly square at the far end of your sight line.

Bez!

Bez!":ep8m9yhc said:
To create a square corner using an old surveyors trick - stand with arms spread parallel to the fence you want to step off from - looking in the direction you want to lay the line.

Close your eyes and slowly bring both arms to the front - when your hands meet, open eyes and site down your arms.

You will be within inches of perfectly square at the far end of your sight line.

Bez!
Dont let the neighbors see you doing this by yourself. ;-)

denoginnizer":219jgtsm said:
Bez!":219jgtsm said:

Bez!
Dont let the neighbors see you doing this by yourself. ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or just run a string across the area you want fenced - pull it tight and follow it!

Bez!

as old as i am if i close my eyes for too long my darling bride thinks i am taking a nap and will swat me! :eek:
30' 40' 50' duhhhhh how blond am i ? even if i had any hair :(
thanks folks that will get me where i am going, that is if i can remember where i have been :oops:

I like using a lazer, of couse it scares the pee out of the neighbors cause you need to use it after dark :)

Not sure how easily you could find one, but transits are really cheap to rent around here, and by far the best way. I've done surveying on road jobs and plant sites, and if I can learn how to use them, anyone can. There are digital ones that are a dream. You get it facing online down your existing fence, then zero it out, and turn it until the display reads 90 degrees. When I had one on a job close to home, I used it to lay out control points and boundary markers for our circular corral system.

'Course 30, 40, 50 will always get you by.

30 - 40 - 50 will not work

3' - 4' = 5' will work
to increase - these numbers need to double each time

6-8-10
12-16-20
24-32-40
etc

rgv":2krs0p7x said:
30 - 40 - 50 will not work

3' - 4' = 5' will work
to increase - these numbers need to double each time

6-8-10
12-16-20
24-32-40
etc

Better check that 30 - 40 - 50, it does work.

The formula is "A" squared plus "B" squared equals "C" squared

Latest posts