Sprint car races

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Just got back from the sprint car nationals in Knoxville, Iowa. Holy cow those guys run hard. Those Iowans are nice folks and they do love their races. Don't like their starting process because the truly fast cars start in the middle/back. When there is only 200 milliseconds between the fastest car and the 15th fastest and only a 15 lap heat race there is no chance for the hotdogs to run them down. In EVERY race the car starting on the pole won the race. Looks to me like you need to sand bag in qualifying so that you end up with the 8th fastest position so you can start on the pole for the main. Oh well, they didn't ask me …..

Man I bet that was a great night of racing! We go to the dirt track at least once a month during season. The sprints and late models are my favorite. If you ever see a show with wingless sprint cars.....DONT miss it, those boys put on a show!

We go to Eldora for the kings royal every July. High bank 1/2 mile and those boys flat get it there. I want to make it to Knoxville atleast once, just to see them race there.

CaddoFarms":2tmx4gjf said:
Man I bet that was a great night of racing! We go to the dirt track at least once a month during season. The sprints and late models are my favorite. If you ever see a show with wingless sprint cars.....DONT miss it, those boys put on a show!
Love dirt track racing. Similar to you, probably go once a month when in California to a local track while they're running. Love when World of Outlaws comes through.
Have a little boy who is car crazy, I see car trailers and lots of that nonsense in our future.

I have a midget sprint car with a 1.6L Datsun engine.. hasn't run in a decade or so.. would like to do *something* with it.. I got a second frame and most of the parts to build a second one actually.. How I wish they allowed rotary engines, but alas, they kick too much arse and got banned :'(

Never did get too jazzed about dirt, but the NASCAR trucks at Eldora is one helluva show

We had dinner with Sammy Swindel Friday night. What a thrill - he is a true gentleman when off the track but takes no shyt on the track. He time trial'd 0.003 seconds behind the fastest at 14 (something) seconds for the half mile yet didn't finish in the top ten. The fastest car did not finish in the top ten, either. By the way, Sammy and the top car were the only two that timed 14 seconds, everybody else was in the mid 15 second range. This is on a long half mile track on DIRT! You do the math.

As I understand it they will be racing someplace in Pennsylvania this coming weekend. Any of you folks live up there should make a point to go see that. Dun, I used to like NASCAR (well, still do) but these Outlaws put on a helluva show. 410 forever!!!!!

lavacarancher":etm41eyj said:
We had dinner with Sammy Swindel Friday night. What a thrill - he is a true gentleman when off the track but takes no shyt on the track. He time trial'd 0.003 seconds behind the fastest at 14 (something) seconds for the half mile yet didn't finish in the top ten. The fastest car did not finish in the top ten, either. By the way, Sammy and the top car were the only two that timed 14 seconds, everybody else was in the mid 15 second range. This is on a long half mile track on DIRT! You do the math.

As I understand it they will be racing someplace in Pennsylvania this coming weekend. Any of you folks live up there should make a point to go see that. Dun, I used to like NASCAR (well, still do) but these Outlaws put on a helluva show. 410 forever!!!!!

Sammy 'the fan favorite'! Haha. Not so much. I'm a fan though. He is about one thing on the track. Couple years back at the Royal, he was running away with it. Last lap, in the final turn, lost a tire and got passed just before the finish line. He was furious. So angry, he wouldn't even stay for the post race interiew. Came back the following year and won the Royal. He wanted it that bad. I got into Woo just as he and Steve Kinser were leaving the prime of their racing careers. I'm glad I got to witness both win the Royal. Lavaca, If you get a chance to go to Eldora, do it. They're even faster there! Track record is 12.7. They qualify in the 13s all the time. Nothing like it.

bball":5f7supq1 said:
lavacarancher":5f7supq1 said:

Sammy 'the fan favorite'! Haha. Not so much. I'm a fan though. He is about one thing on the track. Couple years back at the Royal, he was running away with it. Last lap, in the final turn, lost a tire and got passed just before the finish line. He was furious. So angry, he wouldn't even stay for the post race interiew. Came back the following year and won the Royal. He wanted it that bad. I got into Woo just as he and Steve Kinser were leaving the prime of their racing careers. I'm glad I got to witness both win the Royal. Lavaca, If you get a chance to go to Eldora, do it. They're even faster there! Track record is 12.7. They qualify in the 13s all the time. Nothing like it.

BB, the Kinser's are legends in the sprint car world. There is a Kinser name posted on every wall and post in the Knoxville area. I had been told about Sammy before we even left Houston. He IS passionate about racing but such a gentle and funny man off the track. He told us a story about an autograph session once where a young lady came up and asked if he would autograph her panties. His wife (Amy) said go for it and he DID. (This is going to come back to haunt him.) I bought the biggest pair of panties I could find and forged Sammy's signature on them along with a few words like "To Laticia with love, Sammy". Gonna send them to Amy - I'm sure she can find the appropriate time to present them to him.

Wonder if you can still get tickets to Eldora?

lavacarancher":vt49owu9 said:
Wonder if you can still get tickets to Eldora?

I know WoO will be back through Eldora in Sept. My FIL and I went to the fall race last year as well as Royal weekend. Fall racing was absolutely perfect. Doesn't have quite the spectacle that is the 'Royal weekend', but it was just as enjoyable.
This year, Saturday night was sold out for the Royal. We order out tix in advance and sit in same seats every year. Friday night was almost just as full. We are going to have to start buying those tix ahead of time too I think. The event has grown tremendously over the last 7 years I have been going. Tony Stewart has done a great job of improving some things, but also keeping with the 'vision' that Earl Baltes had for the speedway. It's a great piece of Americana,and if you truly love sprint car racing (and it's clear you do) treat yourself to a race at Eldora. You will not regret it.
Maybe I will bump into you at Knoxville one day..also want to cat h the Ironman 55 in MO one day too!

Is Rico Abreu really as hot a driver as he seems to be? I kind of figured if Tony Stewart is willing to work with him that he must have potential.

dun":2mgdkioi said:
Is Rico Abreu really as hot a driver as he seems to be? I kind of figured if Tony Stewart is willing to work with him that he must have potential.

Yes dun. He is the real deal. Watched him drive in several races now and he can really drive a sprint car. He is the future...whichever direction he goes.

bball":aaqqiz4g said:
dun":aaqqiz4g said:

Yes dun. He is the real deal. Watched him drive in several races now and he can really drive a sprint car. He is the future...whichever direction he goes.
I just see the results from the dirt, but I know he can really wheel a nascar truck

Latest posts