Spring weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Today we had the first branding of the year in our little ranching community. Started with about 300 pairs on the west side of the road. It was a bit chilly and looking up toward my place you could tell it was spitting snow occasionally. The sun came out a couple of times and it warmed up. But it went smooth. Plenty of good help. Ranchers and cowboys to do the roping. Young cowboys to do the wrestling. Not a bunch of beer drinking wan a be's. Plan was to do this bunch, move to the house pasture on the east side of the road, break for lunch, and then do the 100 pairs over there. About the time the move started it started to snow and rain. The wind picked up. Everyone piled into the house or garage. We ate lunch and waited for the weather to clear. And waited. Finally the owner called it a day. Things wouldn't work well dragging calves to the fire through the mud. Kind of hard to brand a wet muddy calf. Good thing is that these pairs are already separated from the rest of the herd. After I came home I went out to feed my heifers. It started with the half snow and half rain once again. You have got to love spring weather. Too bad neighbor J's branding didn't get finished but the rest of us can use the moisture.

Latest posts