Spring is here.. warning pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you really want to know the best picture or which is the best animal?

jscunn":2exh0wzs said:
Make it light on yourself, Alan..

Very little rye grass, and bahia in some of the other pictures..

Sorry, I guess my poor attempt on humor was a bad attempt. I really like 211 and his depth (although with the steer behind him the depth may be deceptive). Next favorite is 207. Both look good to me. Both have good muscle and some depth.

Alan

Gizmom,

202 - Sydgen Liberty out of a Trust heifer
206 - Sydgen Trust
207 - Sydgen Trust
211 - Oneills Lucky Boy
218 - CMF Logan 794R

Alan,
no problem, sometimes typing doesnt convey humor well from me either. 211 is plenty deep that is for sure. Actually 206 and 202 are thicker and deeper than 207 IMO, but 202 had been chasing a cow all afternoon so he is kinda rung out in the picture. 207 is long and pretty and probably gaining more than any other bull over the last month..

PDF,
I see them the same way you do.

201 - Oneills Lucky Boy (DOB 9/12/12)
208 - Oneills Lucky Boy (DOB 10/6/12)
213 - Sydgen Connection 9074 (DOB 10/23/12)
214 - Sydgen Connection 9074 (DOB 10/26/12)
244 - Sydgen 2400 Security 4558 (DOB 12/10/12)

201 Came early (way early) She was due the same day 208 was due. Hit the ground at 52# and never looked back. We never touched her or her mother. Left them in the pasture and she has done a great job recovering from her early birth. All the heifers are registered Angus. 208 is the only heifer I have weighed she weighed 613# on April 1st, on target for a 697# WW. Yes they are creep fed.

Just an observation: It appears to me that there is a mineral deficiency (Copper specifically) in their diet. They appear to be growing well at this age. If I were selecting for either Terminal OR Maternal stock I would prefer to see less leg length and more masculinity in the bulls.

DOC HARRIS

doc,
why do you think they are copper deficient, hair color or hair length? i looked at the minerals they are on now and there isnt much copper in them (0.003%). Just wondering what added copper would do for them? Thanks.

jscunn":x64n1g6d said:
doc,
why do you think they are copper deficient, hair color or hair length? i looked at the minerals they are on now and there isnt much copper in them (0.003%). Just wondering what added copper would do for them? Thanks.
jscunn-

I have seen copper deficiency symptoms in a lot of cattle in the past - particularly in black cattle because their coats are prone to show that deficiency more readily than red or white cattle. The symptoms that flagged my attention to your cattle was the general overall reddish, rough hair coat in almost every one of the pictures. Other factors which indicate it are winter coats that are slow to shed, reduced growth rate, possible hoof problems, and sometimes fertility discrepancies, such as missed pregnancies or difficulty in settling some cows. It depends to a great extent, as with all nutritional deficiencies, upon the severity of the problem. You mentioned that the minerals that they are consuming presently has a content of 0.003%, which is not much. Generally it doesn't require very much copper to be an adequate amount, because it is a trace mineral. But - it IS necessary for proper and optimal nutritional balance, because it works somewhat as a "covalent" with the atoms of neighboring minerals in order to be compatible with them.

It can be caused by an actual deficiency in the soil from which comes the forage the cattle consume, Or it may be an insufficient amount in the minerals that you feed, particularly if that mineral is out of balance with sulphur, molybdenum and iron.

The deficiency can be determined in two ways: blood analysis and nutritional analysis. I would suggest that you contact your Veterinarian and your feed/mineral supplier and investigate your possible deficiency problems. Have some blood tests performed on a few of those cattle, and have your mineral supplement analyzed along with an analysis of the forage (hay, pasture, etc.) that they have been consuming for the past several months, or through the winter. By investigating the problem that way you can pretty well be assured whether or not you are dealing with a copper deficiency or not.

But you SHOULD know for sure! Nutritional balance is as necessary as EPD traits and characteristics being considered in Multiple Trait Selection decisions in your breeding program! Everything must be kept in BALANCE if you are to experience optimal results!

Check out this link: www.sweetlix/...documents/articles/Cattle_006.pdf

Or, do a SEARCH on 'DOGPILE.COM" subject :Copper deficiency in beef cattle

DOC HARRIS

I think I like 207 and 201 best personally

I completely agree that it looks like you could have a copper deficiency, and I have done a lot of research on it because I was low on it in my herd (less than half minimum blood copper content on a blood test)... I had a writeup on it that I posted in "health and nutrition", it was a year ago or something so you may have to go back a couple pages, but I did an intensive study and big writeup on the most common deficiencies and toxicities. The reddish color of the coat would be the giveaway to me, in red cows it shows up as well, but often in a "netted" pattern. I believe my trace mineral has WAY more copper (2500-2800ppm if I recall correctly).

Here's the link to the thread
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73928&p=881581
and here's the link to the document I compiled
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqG ... 51aGk/edit

And here's a link to the thread I started about my cow that was low on copper.. I think if you do a blood test you may find a similar result
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72426

Hope this helps

I see this in my herd which is simangus when they are in the first full year of their winter coat. This is an 18 month old heifer, simangus breeding. Does she have the same thing?

I have noticed in my herd this spring that the cattle are shedding their winter coats at much different rates. The bull has almost completed shedding and so have some cows. Others are far behind. The bottom picture is a cow that has very long hair and although this is a picture from a couple months ago, she still has most of her hair while others are almost done.

b8kadj.jpg

5zfi82.jpg

Nesikep":2pvsclqc said:
I think I like 207 and 201 best personally

I completely agree that it looks like you could have a copper deficiency, and I have done a lot of research on it because I was low on it in my herd (less than half minimum blood copper content on a blood test)... I had a writeup on it that I posted in "health and nutrition", it was a year ago or something so you may have to go back a couple pages, but I did an intensive study and big writeup on the most common deficiencies and toxicities. The reddish color of the coat would be the giveaway to me, in red cows it shows up as well, but often in a "netted" pattern. I believe my trace mineral has WAY more copper (2500-2800ppm if I recall correctly).

Here's the link to the thread
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73928&p=881581
and here's the link to the document I compiled
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqG ... 51aGk/edit

And here's a link to the thread I started about my cow that was low on copper.. I think if you do a blood test you may find a similar result
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72426

Hope this helps
Nesikep-

Congratualtions to you, my friend, on one of the most complete and thorough documentaries on Supplementation of Minerals and Vitamins for Cattle I have read to date!

Most documentaries that I have perused are so involved with specific chemistries and physics and specious "sound good" verbiage as to make the reading of same so boring that one abandons the substance of the subject before the "meat" of the article is able to be digested! This work of yours is concise, direct and applicable for the serious breeder to pursue adequate nutritional supplementation for their beef herds. It is a known fact that many serious problems in beef production can be traced directly to nutritional deficiencies or, at least, INsufficiencies. This work of yours is a gigantic step toward resolving many of those dietary failings.

Every beef breeder should have a copy of this work of yours at his disposal. How may anyone who is interested get a copy of this publication?

DOC HARRIS

inyati13 said:
I see this in my herd which is simangus when they are in the first full year of their winter coat. This is an 18 month old heifer, simangus breeding. Does she have the same thing?

I have noticed in my herd this spring that the cattle are shedding their winter coats at much different rates. The bull has almost completed shedding and so have some cows. Others are far behind. The bottom picture is a cow that has very long hair and although this is a picture from a couple months ago, she still has most of her hair while others are almost done.

I'd say that there is a better chance that she is hetero blk than deficient in mineral!

Latest posts