Spring Heifer Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
6Y - Out of a Brookview cow and sired by my Hathcock polled bull. Born 04/04/2011.

6Y_5.jpg

6Y.jpg

6Y_3.jpg

6Y_6.jpg

6Y_7.jpg

The heifer looks good. If you look up "easy fleshing" in the dictionary, there might be a picture of those cattle. But still need to work on udders.

Herefords are perhaps the most pleasantly photogenic of all breeds of cattle. Your pictures support that statement.

Dwight, I'd really be interested in your critique of the cattle I've posted. If you want you can send me a private email.

Thx,

Jerry

Jerry,

The all the cattle look great. The Hatchcock X Brookview is really working out well for you. Calves are really thick and smooth. Do you have any recent pictures of the Hatchcock X Hatchcock calves?

Regards,
Darren

jhambley":3h6q4kby said:
Dwight, I'd really be interested in your critique of the cattle I've posted. If you want you can send me a private email.

Thx,

Jerry
Can't help but believe that your Herefords crossed on my Red Angus, Julian influenced females would make some gorgeous Red Baldies.

Do you have any recent pictures of the Hatchcock X Hatchcock calves?

Darren,

Here is a straight Hathcock bred heifer born 3/22/2011 sired by the Hodge bull.
8yHT_3.jpg

And here is a shot of the Hodge bull I took last week. He bred 35 cows this summer. That's one of his sons in the background.
HodgeHT.jpg

Darren,

Here are photos I took last week. Both are straight Hathcock breeding from the 2010 calf crop. Both sired by Mr. Hathcock's Spot Jr. bull.

9 Heifer
9HT.jpg

Darren,

One more Spring 2011 heifer calf. Straight Hathcock genetics sired by the Hodge bull. She's a maternal half sib to the 9 heifer shown above.
7YHT.jpg

Mostly weeds right now...or I think the proper term is forb :) My pastures are a mix of fescue, native prairie, clovers, and kobe/korean lespedeza.

jhambley":23x1uuw6 said:
Mostly weeds right now...or I think the proper term is forb :) My pastures are a mix of fescue, native prairie, clovers, and kobe/korean lespedeza.

:lol:

Well they must be finding enough grass to eat as they are very fleshy . :D

hillsdown":2ycivtnu said:
jhambley":2ycivtnu said:

:lol:

Well they must be finding enough grass to eat as they are very fleshy . :D

It's the genetics and type more than anything else

Jerry,

The Hatchcock's look good as well. It is probably unfair to make this judgement from just the pictures but I think the hatchcock X brookview calves are just a bit heavier built and carry more weight in the backend. Not sure if that is true but that is what I think I see in the pictures. Eitherway they are all doing well. Glad to see despite the really harsh summer we have had they are holding up well.

Regards,
Darren

I think the Brookview X Hodge crosses are built "stockier" with heavier bone. The straight Hathcock cattle are more refined with lighter bone and more growth.

Since both of these bloodlines have been linebred, the Brookview X Hodge crosses could be benefitting from a bit of hybrid vigor as well.

As far as the summer heat, it's been brutal. Nothing like those guys in Texas and Oklahoma are seeing but extreme for us. I've put off clipping the pastures because everything is so dry. I have three more paddocks to graze and then I'll be rotating them into what are normally pens used to stockpile fescue for Winter. I did buy in a few more bales of hay this year just to be certain I had enough. The cattle have been subjected to extreme heat and cold the past few years. I'd sure like to see a nice cool, wet fall.

Latest posts