Spring hasn't sprung

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Spring has been canceled until further notice. About 2 inches of sloppy wet snow and still coming down. I started out to do morning calf check on the quad just like usual. I barely made it into the field and turned around. The snow blowing in my face I could barely see. I got the pickup to do the check. The cows were hiding in the willows along the river. No obvious new calves. I will try again later. Two little flocks of turkeys marched across the upper field. They didn't look like they were enjoying the snow either. The apricot tree is in full bloom. I guess this means we won't have to worry about what to do with all the apricots. I came in and tried to get on the computer. Had to go out and sweep the snow off the satellite dish to get on line. Oh well, we certainly need the moisture. P4102821.JPG

We had some warm days a bit ago now coming through redbud winter here, got dogwood, locust and blackberry winters to look forward to yet.

What happened to all the promises of global warming?
Nearly mid-April and snow showers Saturday afternoon and they say more cold weather next week.
It may stay nice a little longer in the fall but spring seems to come a little later than it used to with the bloom times for the trees and wild flowers definitely later by over two weeks.
I have kept records here on this farm for 50 years. We are trending wetter (when it rains it pours) with slightly shorter growing seasons and later spring blooms.

Nearly mid-April and snow showers Saturday afternoon and they say more cold weather next week.
It may stay nice a little longer in the fall but spring seems to come a little later than it used to with the bloom times for the trees and wild flowers definitely later by over two weeks.
I have kept records here on this farm for 50 years. We are trending wetter (when it rains it pours) with slightly shorter growing seasons and later spring blooms.
90 degrees here today.

This is why "global" warming isn't called "Kentucky" warming. Otherwise your exhaustive research could be useful. It's the same reason people in Indiana don't still think the earth is flat even though it looks mighty flat from where they're standing.

spring is definitely here in Eastern Iowa. saw my first "Road Work Ahead" sign along the highway on my way home from work yesterday.
One time I went into Harney County down south of here. When I crossed the county line there was a sign that read, "occasional road work the next 188 miles." Gee thanks for the warning.

Just the opposite here. Warmer and drier for sure. I don't believe in global warming, I do believe in nature. It's done this since the beginning of time.

Spring is definitely on hold here. I'm in a blizzard right now, forecast up to 13" of snow and temps down to 5f. I tried to walk to the barn but the wind was wanting to blow me over, I've got at least 8" of snow and 3to 4foot drifts. I could see cows under the lean to, and just hope the calves are under there also. I have never lost a calf to winter/spring storms, but this might be a first.

Spring is definitely on hold here. I'm in a blizzard right now, forecast up to 13" of snow and temps down to 5f. I tried to walk to the barn but the wind was wanting to blow me over, I've got at least 8" of snow and 3to 4foot drifts. I could see cows under the lean to, and just hope the calves are under there also. I have never lost a calf to winter/spring storms, but this might be a first.
Where are you located, mtchick? I would guess Montana, but what part? I know friends/customers in SE Montana were to get 18" and 45 mph winds.

Stay safe.

I'm about an hour North of Billings MT, on top of the Bull Mtns. We ended up with almost 2feet of snow and temps were close to 0 over night most of the week. It was pretty nice yesterday actually got up around 30 and sunny but it's snowing again now. Its actually snowed off and on since Tuesday.
All my calves have made it so far, and no new ones for the last couple of days.

Not nearly as much snow as those further east have got. But it is snowing again this morning. This makes 5 out of 6 days getting snow. It is warm enough that it melts in the afternoon. But the one new calf this morning had a look that said this isn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

Latest posts