Spraying Safety Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

PaMike

Reaction score
I spray a lot of fence rows with 2-4,d and crossbow. I use a handheld nozzle. I dont use anything else, or any herbicides that are restricted. What do you guys feel is needed for protective equipment in this situation. It says on the labels to wear long sleeve shirts, but man is it hot in long sleeves. I do use rubber gloves, but then when I shift I get some spray on the shifter and steering wheel. My neighbor wears a white jump suit and respirator when he sprays corn. Any tips on safety?

PaMike":20x0wqs5 said:
I spray a lot of fence rows with 2-4,d and crossbow. I use a handheld nozzle. I dont use anything else, or any herbicides that are restricted. What do you guys feel is needed for protective equipment in this situation. It says on the labels to wear long sleeve shirts, but man is it hot in long sleeves. I do use rubber gloves, but then when I shift I get some spray on the shifter and steering wheel. My neighbor wears a white jump suit and respirator when he sprays corn. Any tips on safety?
In addition to skin protection, better use sone sort of eye protection. The label on those products give detailed information and warnings about the damage they can cause to the human body parts. 2-4,d warns about eye damage and blindness if it gets into your eyes. The chemicals are vaporized and suspended in the air about you when you are spraying and can get into your eyes very easily. --- :shock: :shock:

Just an old pharts opinion. You should wear protection, a respirator may not even be a bad idea. Many of us that have a few miles on us didn;t wear hearing protection when we would go shooting, eye protercion when working with stuff that could fly up and get in an eye, or for that matter, use handtrucks when we should have or other stuff that lessons the chance of injury or excessive wear and tear on our bodys. Learn from those of us that have bodys that are more worn out/damaged/generally screwed up then they should be.
It's kind of like petting a bull. Chances are this one time nothing will happen, chances are that sometime, inadvertant or not, something will.

Most herbicides that I spray, with the exception of gramoxone -are what I consider safe once you dilute them in water. Insecticides, that's a different story. I use some that will kill you - dead.

So def long sleeves and gloves? Maybe a respirator? I wear glasses so additional eye protection is rough. Any thing else?

PaMike":2vy1pcij said:
So def long sleeves and gloves? Maybe a respirator? I wear glasses so additional eye protection is rough. Any thing else?

Drink drink it and wash your hands before smokeing, eating or drinking.

PaMike":2l337smu said:

Tips?

Yup.

And I will pass this on to all - because I am one of those old guys.

Wear that eye protection and stop complaining. I got a buddy who cannot see because he did not. I was there and almost ended up the same way. Did you know doctors can actually give you a needle in the eye and then work behind your eyeball while you are concious - allowing you to enjoy the experience?

Wear that clothing to cover your body and stop complaining. Some of those chemicals really will kill you - even better - some do it very slowly - over time - so you can better enjoy the cancerous feeling as you die.

Wear that hearing protection and stop complaining. Otherwise you too can lay in bed at night and listen to the ocean waves - even though you are 500 miles from water. Better, you can listen to the machine guns and the train whistles sometimes punctuated by explosions - all going off in your head as a Tinnitus sufferer. My personal favourite is the train whistle that starts in the centre of your head and then moves from one ear to another. Completely preventable and completely untreatable.

Wear that respirator and stop complaining. Breathing is a necessary exercise that many would love to be able to do - without a small hose hooked to their nose and a permanenet "pet" O2 bottle tagging along no matter where you go. We have all seen those folks when we go to crowded areas. You too can be one of them if you so wish.

We used to laugh at saftety rules - or we did not even know there was a danger.

As a buddy once said to me - all rules are built upon the pain and disasters of our friends and family who have gone before us.

Never forget that.

Bez>

In addition to all of the above, look into taking an applicator safety course. Here, it is offered by the Extension Office and is required if you want to do your own spraying of certain chemicals.

If you look at the label of the package/bottle it came in, look towards the bottom of the label, there should be a colour code, either blue, green, yellow, or red. In the centre of this clour code band there are a few pictures, some will be gloves, gasmask, etc.

The pictures in the left half of this will tell you what safety equipment you need to wear while mixing/diluting. Those in the right half will tell you what safety equipment you need to wear while spraying.

All this off course is assuming that the USA comply to the same safety regulations as Europe, Africa and the East. This indications must be on the package to be eligible for use under Eurepgap and Nature's Choice regulations when exporting foodstuffs, I can only assume the same will apply for the USA.

I do quite a bit of spot spraying for weeds, and I use caution to keep the herbicide off my hands and avoid splashing while mixing it/rinsing the measuring cup. I spray in a manner that any breeze that might come up carries any drift away from me, I do not use a fine spray, and I start at the farthest point downwind and work my way backwards. If I'm using Round-Up, I don't spray when the wind is blowing - period. If I'm using Tordon, I wear gloves and irrigation boots to keep any possible residue off my legs since I usually wear shorts.

msscamp":3co6dodj said:
I do quite a bit of spot spraying for weeds, and I use caution to keep the herbicide off my hands and avoid splashing while mixing it/rinsing the measuring cup. I spray in a manner that any breeze that might come up carries any drift away from me, I do not use a fine spray, and I start at the farthest point downwind and work my way backwards. If I'm using Round-Up, I don't spray when the wind is blowing - period. If I'm using Tordon, I wear gloves and irrigation boots to keep any possible residue off my legs since I usually wear shorts.

Right on!!

A babe in the field in rubber boots and short pants! Wearing gloves to boot!!!!

You be careful, you will get all us old farm guys stirred up.

8)

Bez+

Bez+":1fe1iy6o said:
msscamp":1fe1iy6o said:

Right on!!

8)

Bez+

I'm thinking that a picture would be in order, anyone agree?

Cabo":1xzouasw said:
Bez+":1xzouasw said:
msscamp":1xzouasw said:

Right on!!

8)

Bez+

I'm thinking that a picture would be in order, anyone agree?

Yes,Im thinking a picture would help us determine if the spraying is being done correctly :D
good luck

PaMike":2n8j4nrs said:

When I spray with a cab tractor,just use gloves,but when I spray with my mule and a 3 nozzle boomless sprayer,I wear long sleeves and gloves,making sure I spray into the wind,2 4 D and remedy is about all I spray.
good luck

Latest posts