Spraying hay field

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Wanting advice, have a neglected hay field. Has lots of weeds. Could I spray 2-4-D and fertilize next spring. ? Other suggestions?

I would mix some Crossbow or Remedy in with the 2-4-D. I hate going to the trouble spraying and not get a good kill. Also as KT said spray next year to get the seeds and slick off the field. The spray can put somewhat of a hurting on clover so consider that

Depending on what's growing in there, you may want to use Grazon or something with Picloram if there's any woody thorn type crap. We sure get plenty of that down here (SW MO).

I would mix some Crossbow or Remedy in with the 2-4-D. I hate going to the trouble spraying and not get a good kill. Also as KT said spray next year to get the seeds and slick off the field. The spray can put somewhat of a hurting on clover so consider that
Many of the weeds we encounter will be sprouted in the fall. The clover will be pretty well dormant by then and the spray won't hurt it.

Does depend on what the hayfield is....but for clean spring hay you need to spray in the spring. Spraying now will clean it up for the fall. Either way, you need to get the "trash" off in the fall so it won't be their in the spring.

If we're talking about spraying 2fourd now, my weeds are too mature for it to much good. I'd move up the chemical spectrum. Remedy grazon. 2fourd works best for me when weeds are really young and succulent.

Does depend on what the hayfield is....but for clean spring hay you need to spray in the spring. Spraying now will clean it up for the fall. Either way, you need to get the "trash" off in the fall so it won't be their in the spring.
Yea I mowed it going to bale, weeds and all.

Crossbow is a mixture of 24D ( 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid 34.4%)) and
( 3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridinyloxyacetic acid 16.5%)
You can mix 3 parts Remedy and 5 parts 24D LV4 and have a stronger version of Crossbow.
I've been told by county agent that a slow kill is better than a fast kill because that gives chemical time to kill all the roots.

Wanting advice, have a neglected hay field. Has lots of weeds. Could I spray 2-4-D and fertilize next spring. ? Other suggestions?
Duracor ($95/gal) with Dawn suffacant totally got rid of all burrs (but not Johnson grass - this was my first time to use it --- will use it again next season) ... 2-4D had no lasting power ... Duracor gets down to the roots

Duracor's active ingredient is Rinskor® (FLORPYRAUXIFEN-BENZYL).
Something new. Unrestricted herbicide. $95/gal is not bad but how much is required per acre

specimen label?
80.00 at browns.
10- 16 oz.
I've been pleased so far. I think this is going to be a better deal than grazon hl. Especially in hot weather.

Hello. You really don't have to spray. Farmed my entire life and if you simply mow consistently the weeds will lose energy.
In the long run, the good things you will avoid killing off will benefit your field and soil.

Hello. You really don't have to spray. Farmed my entire life and if you simply mow consistently the weeds will lose energy.
In the long run, the good things you will avoid killing off will benefit your field and soil.
Additionally, you may want to seed. I would soil test as well.

Why can't Texas A&M come up with a genetically modified cow that enjoys eating weeds and weesatch? If we can land a man on the moon we can surely do that. That's just common sense.

I need something that will kill Bindweed. It was brought in on some hay I bought a few years back. Now it is all over my wheat pasture. Cattle love it, but they don't kill it out. I have some 24D w/ dicamba.

Latest posts