Spraying Pond weeds

Help Support CattleToday:

We call them Mud fish here Greybeard. That's a prehistoric looking fish. A Mud fish is good eating if you cook it the day it's caught, otherwise it's like eating a piece of cotton.
And a Blue Heron is also called a night heron because they can fish at night. I've walked up to them and fixed them because they couldn't fly off with the 2+lb bass stuck in their throat. I'm not allowed to have any weeds or grass in or along my pond, my wife can't see the snakes.

They must have taken this pic early spring or late fall..right now, the lily cover is almost 100% in the narrower parts, same with the grass.

donpond.jpg

I would like to get rid of some of it, but it would be a never ending thing with the lilies. They are on my nearest neighbor's place too and his drains into my place.

The other stuff down below the lilies, I don't know what is..you can see some of it down under.
Picture0510181216_1_655.jpg

Dogs and Cows":2uc6toib said:
True Grit Farms":2uc6toib said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2uc6toib said:
I hate the Blue Herrons - it's bad enough that they eat tons of minnows, but they will stab a large fish & it goes to waste. I have found many good size dead fish with a hole in them.

100% correct, nothing but a varmint worse than a Mexican buzzard.

Worse than a Mexican Buzzard Grit??? That is taking it a bit far LOL!

Buzzards don't hunt at night, and you can usually scare them away. A blue heron your going to have to deal with it, warning shots are just wasting ammo.
But your right I'd much rather loose a bass than a calf.

greybeard":2khh1nz4 said:
They must have taken this pic early spring or late fall..right now, the lily cover is almost 100% in the narrower parts, same with the grass.

donpond.jpg

I would like to get rid of some of it, but it would be a never ending thing with the lilies. They are on my nearest neighbor's place too and his drains into my place.

The other stuff down below the lilies, I don't know what is..you can see some of it down under.
Picture0510181216_1_655.jpg

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identi ... ater-lily/ You an click on the management options to find ways to get rid of it.

greybeard":2fa9qjjq said:
BC":2fa9qjjq said:
https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identi ... ater-lily/ You can click on the management options to find ways to get rid of it.
2,4d is one of their recommendations..I wonder if it makes any difference which form of 2,4d you use?

Weedar 64 has a label for aquatic use. Remember that the label is the law. I am going to a pesticide recertification training tomorrow and aquatic weeds are on the agenda. I will ask about various formulations of 2,4-D

I checked into getting some Grass Carp, but not so great timing. The DEC yearly fish sale was this past Monday!
Got it on my calendar for next March to get my permits & buy a couple.
BC great site - I bookmarked it. Carp is good for my weed.

A simple, inexpensive method to kill cattails in the pond is to cut them off just a couple inches below the water level. They suffocate.

We had a mess of them in a pond and they were getting thicker. I tried to pull them out with a scoop of mud with the backhoe. All I got was a glob of clay and a mess on the shore! We just snipped them off and raked them to the shore and put them on the burn pile after a few days.

I'm not impressed with grass carp. But the Canadian geese will clean all the grass in the pond they can reach. The byproduct is the main problem with geese.

True Grit Farms":3ru1sqa8 said:
I'm not impressed with grass carp. But the Canadian geese will clean all the grass in the pond they can reach. The byproduct is the main problem with geese.
My brother once tried to seine a little goose pond the owner was going to fill in. Said they sunk down about 3 feet in goose poop every step of the way. As someone else said, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.
I believe it too. I had a pair of geese here at one time that roamed the yard. About every 3rd step it seemed like they'd squirt out a stream of it. It's why I gave 'em away, there was goose poop everywhere in the yard and once they discovered where the feed was coming from, they'd set on the slab at the back porch honking for me to come out and feed them, starting about daylight. They'd get in the dogs water container and just make a mess too. Nasty bastaages..

I've used copper sulfate in my tanks. Kills everything green. Only recommended you do a percentage of it each day so as not to remove all the oxygen from the water. Never had any problems with it affecting fish.

I just talked to a guy that has a fisherie, and he uses Round Up with any surfactant. Said you can use dish soap as long as you aren't spraying the whole pond. As we talked, a little at a time.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3co7bt67 said:
I checked into getting some Grass Carp, but not so great timing. The DEC yearly fish sale was this past Monday!
We can get a few grass carp down here but it requires a permit from the State of Texas and a fee.

TexasBred":2uyxpfn1 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2uyxpfn1 said:
We can get a few grass carp down here but it requires a permit from the State of Texas and a fee.

Yep, and even tho they can't reproduce, ya can't get the permit if you are in an area that public water backs up into or if your overflow leads directly to public waterways. I tried..no go for me.

I don't know what kind of carp they have in Twin Buttes Reservoir San Angelo, but those rascals really reproduce. I have seen them massed up against the big riprap along the dam in big swarms.
Fun to catch on little doughballs made of mashed up Wheaties and Big Red soda pop. They can't resist it.

Latest posts