Spraying fields and killing Dogfennel

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":lc7qrezs said:
greybeard":lc7qrezs said:
Caustic Burno":lc7qrezs said:
I spot spray with 2-4 D as I don't have enogh to spray a pasture.
If you want to wipe it out I use a gallon of 2-4D with a half gallon of Remedy to a 100 gallon's of water.
I don't use Grazon for anything except fence line's as it kill's the good seed along with the bad.
CB, I thought Grazon was a selective and systemic broadleaf post emergence herbicide without much soil activity, and Remedy is a non-selective systemic, meaning it killed just about any grass or weed it touches. Am I way off base here?

Grazon is 2-4-d plus PD that kills the seed and keep's seed's from germinating it has a 90 day to six month soil life.
Remedy is a broadleaf herbicide now Reclaim will kill whatever it hit's.

Ok thanks, I re-read the labels of both GrazonNext and Remedy Ultra. Both "say" they won't hurt established grass-UNLESS it is stressed grasses or newly established, but every time I have tank mixed Remedy with water and sprayed, it killed a lot of Bahia. (I have NOT used Grazon yet)
It does seem tho, that I am mixing too much Remedy for the volume of water I have. (25 gal tank)
I've been mixing 1 qt per 25 gal of water (sometimes a bit stronger than that). That could account for the dead grass. I have some Crossbow, which is triclopyr and 24d, so I may try it on the pastures as well, tho I'd have to look and see what it's % active ingredient is compared to Remedy. .

The reason I bring up Grazon is because that is what both Tex Agrilife Extension (Tx county agent) and Dow reccomend for tallow control--they both claim Remedy won't kill it well, but I'm not sure they aren't just both trying to push Grazon on everyone for some other reason. I can see where it would help prevent sprouting of new seeds already present tho.

If you or anyone else have a magic chemical suggestion for tallow and goatweed (woolly croton) , I am all ears!!

Sorry for hijacking the dogfennel thread and It seems this old man has a lot to learn about herbicides.

dieselbeef":2himnvhj said:
ga.prime":2himnvhj said:
dieselbeef":2himnvhj said:
mow it right before it starts to seed off and i have almost got rid of it without using any sprays
Mow it and it'll grow right back next year from the same roots. It's a perennial.

well that is true but i have almost got rid of all of it. an ole timer here told me to mow it in the dog days and thats what ive been doin. in the pastures i own i have none of it left,,,only by mowing
How much does that cost in diesel every time. I can cover 40 feet a pass and i didn't cut any cow feed.

well i got no spray rig so it cheaper to me to mow..i only need to take off the tops..not much feed lost here in aug...besides..is about the only choice i got..i only got 75 acre to mow

60 acres cost me under $200 each time, and that includes diesel, oil, a fiter change,grease, but doesn't include all the wear and tear on the mower, tractor and me. That, in itself, doesn't sound bad--but IF, I had lots of acres, by the time I got finished with the last acre, it would be time to mow the 1st acre again, and would have to do that routine more than once per growing season--which I have to do now anyway--in a good rainfall year 3 times. I'm sick of mowing. I'm sick of seeing the same perenials coming back and I want a good effecient chem program so if I want to I can have some baled without a bunch of weeds in it.
The other thing I see myself doing, is mowing high like you mention, but too often, I'm chopping off the immature bahia seed heads--seeds that will never germinate----and that ain't helping me a bit. I'll always have to mow some, but I don't want that to be my only option. IMO, a spray rig is cheap compared to buying a replacement mower. I figure I could by a lot of herbicide for what one tore up gearbox would cost.

btw--we got over 1/2" of rain here today over a 4-5 hr period. From the south, so I guess it's coming off the gulf.

dieselbeef":2x55og1x said:
well i got no spray rig so it cheaper to me to mow..i only need to take off the tops..not much feed lost here in aug...besides..is about the only choice i got..i only got 75 acre to mow
Sell your shredder before it wears out. Buy a spray rig.
Spraying will use about 1/4 the diesel.
Spraying will place very little load on the tractor so wear and tear will be reduced significantly.
Spray equipment is very low maintanence.
Shredders have a relatively short life span.
It takes less time to spray.
Shredding can cause many weeds to produce more seed. It is temporary.
Spraying stopps seed production or kills the plant.

The only real benefits shredding has over spraying are shredding is more aesthetically pleasing, and shredding stimulates new grass growth.

novatech":2fvrht40 said:
dieselbeef":2fvrht40 said:
Sell your shredder before it wears out. Buy a spray rig.
Spraying will use about 1/4 the diesel.
Spraying will place very little load on the tractor so wear and tear will be reduced significantly.
Spray equipment is very low maintanence.
Shredders have a relatively short life span.
It takes less time to spray.
Shredding can cause many weeds to produce more seed. It is temporary.
Spraying stopps seed production or kills the plant.

The only real benefits shredding has over spraying are shredding is more aesthetically pleasing, and shredding stimulates new grass growth.
A side benefit to shredding is using it to shatter the seed heads of the good stuff so that it thickns. In normal years after the last rotation befor stockpiling I do it to get a healthir stand of grass. Doing it that way has saved a bunch on seed and has also seeded with stuff that is aclimated to this particular farm. One farm we bought had been abused by overgrazing for years, only took 2 years of mowing the overgrown grass, now it has exception grass rather then the mostly bare spots that it had. Spraying only without ever mowing falls into the category of one size fits all, that is rarely accurate.

there is a place for both sprayers and shredders, wish I would have taken a picture of what I just sprayed and then mowed 3 days later. It was a pasture that was flooded out this spring killing the 50-60% of the Tall Fescue crop. We reseeded it as soon as possible after the flood, before the tall fescue could establish though the dog fennel took over. I sprayed with 1 quart Hat Trick and 8 ozs. Banvel in 10 gallons water per acre. This dog fennel was 12-16 inches tall, tired of lookin at it so I mowed it all down after 3 days.

There are other recipes that may work better in your area, but for me with the perimeter lined with Black Walnut and Ash trees this is what works and is safe for trees, grazing restriction of 7 days.

This is not a recommendation
I am not a crop consultant

Latest posts