Spraying fields and killing Dogfennel

Help Support CattleToday:

JoshuaMLewis

Reaction score
I am from S.E. Louisiana. We, like many other places, have to fight with dogfennel in our pastures. I have one pasture that it has enough to aggravate me. Does anyone spray their pastures in the beginning of summer to kill off some of the weeds that start growing then such as dogfennel? Dogfennel will die if sprayed by 2-4D as long as it is under 24 inches or so.

Anyone ever had a dogfennel problem? How did you deal with it?

I like to spray when the woolly crouton sprouts. I think I will be spraying in the fall too. The winter weeds were the worst problem this year.

JoshuaMLewis":10bnrq6t said:
Anyone ever had a dogfennel problem? How did you deal with it?
Yes, I deal with it the same way as you except I use Banvel+2,4D because it kills more stuff.

novatech":3q4ecoxs said:
I like to spray when the woolly crouton sprouts. I think I will be spraying in the fall too. The winter weeds were the worst problem this year.
Me too. The mild winter didn't do me any favors for sure as far as weeds go. I have a little bit of dogfennel--mostly along the fences, but a lot of woolly croton--or as we call it--goatweed--tough to get rid of, and the drought last year seems to have made it worse. Then again, I let it go to seed 2 years ago, and I'm paying for it now.

Any of you ever use a wiper instead of spraying?

Angus Cowman":2oug7usf said:
Dow reccomends using pastureguard,grazonnext or forefront for dogfennel
pastureguard for late season application

not suprised............ :lol:

Surmount is good for a wide variety of pasture weeds including dogfennel. It's fairly inexpensive too. The drawback is you risk damaging trees if it gets into their root zone.

I was told that dog fennel didn't like pastures that had the right Ph and N-P-K. Said it would not do well in good pasture soil. I have some in my pasture so it's time for a soil sample.

I spot spray with 2-4 D as I don't have enogh to spray a pasture.
If you want to wipe it out I use a gallon of 2-4D with a half gallon of Remedy to a 100 gallon's of water.
I don't use Grazon for anything except fence line's as it kill's the good seed along with the bad.

lynnmcmahan":1e3qmlnr said:
I was told that dog fennel didn't like pastures that had the right Ph and N-P-K. Said it would not do well in good pasture soil.
Is there anything you haven't been told?

dieselbeef":2pianm12 said:
mow it right before it starts to seed off and i have almost got rid of it without using any sprays
Mow it and it'll grow right back next year from the same roots. It's a perennial.

Caustic Burno":39ge0g2r said:
If you want to wipe it out I use a gallon of 2-4D with a half gallon of Remedy to a 100 gallon's of water.
I don't use Grazon for anything except fence line's as it kill's the good seed along with the bad.
CB, I thought Grazon was a selective and systemic broadleaf post emergence herbicide without much soil activity, and Remedy is a non-selective systemic, meaning it killed just about any grass or weed it touches. Am I way off base here?

greybeard":3rfxj5bo said:
Caustic Burno":3rfxj5bo said:
CB, I thought Grazon was a selective and systemic broadleaf post emergence herbicide without much soil activity, and Remedy is a non-selective systemic, meaning it killed just about any grass or weed it touches. Am I way off base here?

Grazon is 2-4-d plus PD that kills the seed and keep's seed's from germinating it has a 90 day to six month soil life.
Remedy is a broadleaf herbicide now Reclaim will kill whatever it hit's.

greybeard":26njddl6 said:
Caustic Burno":26njddl6 said:
Grazon is a broad leaf weed herbicide with about a 60-90 day residual that keeps new stuff (of any kind) from growing. Remedy is for broadleaf weeds and woody stemmed stuff with no residual. I spray it on grassses all the time and no ill affects.
Look up herbicides here: http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx

ga.prime":37t6al4a said:
dieselbeef":37t6al4a said:
mow it right before it starts to seed off and i have almost got rid of it without using any sprays
Mow it and it'll grow right back next year from the same roots. It's a perennial.

If you mow it anytime except right before it goes to seed, it comes right back. But in fall, around here it takes on a purplish hue just before it puts on seed. Mow it as close as possible then, and 80 -90% of it will die and not come back.

Only bad thing is you have to look at it all summer to get to that point.

john

ga.prime":a9sslkzv said:
dieselbeef":a9sslkzv said:

well that is true but i have almost got rid of all of it. an ole timer here told me to mow it in the dog days and thats what ive been doin. in the pastures i own i have none of it left,,,only by mowing

dieselbeef":1h66alg7 said:
ga.prime":1h66alg7 said:
dieselbeef":1h66alg7 said:

well that is true but i have almost got rid of all of it. an ole timer here told me to mow it in the dog days and thats what ive been doin. in the pastures i own i have none of it left,,,only by mowing

Same here Diesel.

Latest posts