Spraying Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

m&kCattle

Reaction score
Spraying fencelines today with 24d and roundup. Got to wondering if anyone has ever had trouble with spray eating away at the wire? We've never had a problem much ourselves but I could see it being possible.....just curious to everyones experience.

We use that combination often as well... I used to worry about the corrosion as we were constantly soaking the bottom wire. Personally, I have never seen any ill effects on the wire. A lot could depend on the gauge and quality of the wire as well.

Roundup is really corrosive and hard on pumps and spray nozzles so it's a plausible concern

I would be alot less worried about the spray damaging the wire than I would be the spray damaging the runways and cover and feed for the quail, rabbits, and other wildlife that use grown up fencerows to survive and thrive. Just teasing, however, I am in the group that loves hairy fence rows for the wildlife benefit and see a clean fence row as detrimental to the wildlife I value seeing. I like for my fencerows to be grown up in trees and bushes so that no one can see into the pasture from the road. I am sure alot of you would make fun of my fencerows that have 2 purposes, stop cattle, and provide for wildlife, however, I make fun of those that are bare ground. So, we are even.

stocky":2tqx2urj said:
I would be alot less worried about the spray damaging the wire than I would be the spray damaging the runways and cover and feed for the quail, rabbits, and other wildlife that use grown up fencerows to survive and thrive. Just teasing, however, I am in the group that loves hairy fence rows for the wildlife benefit and see a clean fence row as detrimental to the wildlife I value seeing. I like for my fencerows to be grown up in trees and bushes so that no one can see into the pasture from the road. I am sure alot of you would make fun of my fencerows that have 2 purposes, stop cattle, and provide for wildlife, however, I make fun of those that are bare ground. So, we are even.

What did the wildlife do before fences were invented?

Sunfish":e3hyyjbe said:
Roundup is really corrosive and hard on pumps and spray nozzles so it's a plausible concern

I guess I've been lucky for 15 years let's see if I get 15 more without that spray rusting the fence out.

stocky":14vu6oo7 said:
I understand what you're saying, but letting all the briars and trees grow around a fence drastically shortens its lifespan.

M.Magis":2xd0fg8x said:
stocky":2xd0fg8x said:
I understand what you're saying, but letting all the briars and trees grow around a fence drastically shortens its lifespan.

I am so happy you said that. We just spent a bunch of money, and I personally spent a bunch of time and effort, cleaning our fence lines of years and years of overgrowth. Some of the older fences had to be replaced due to the damage the vines and thorn trees had done. I feel like we saved a bunch of the 10ish year old fences from an early demise due to the same fate.

We keep the brush/vines/trees out of the fence rows but let the grasses and weeds grow up around them.

stocky":38a8npqv said:
Let those trees and the brush get thick enough and you'll never have to fix fence again. :lol2: But personally I think it gives folks a negative first impression of the place especially if it is out front. Makes you wonder what it looks like inside the house, etc. But first impressions can be wrong too. ;-)

I've never worried too much about what others think. If I choose to keep my place neat and clean or let part of it grow up for wildlife it's my idea. Worrying about what other people think has never entered my mind.
Worrying about what people think or judging and comparing yourself to others is a she-man and female trait

no rusted out fence yet
ResizedImage_1409314733149_zps148e970a.jpg

ResizedImage_1409314734172_zps75b0b0f0.jpg

dun":d11df6qj said:
We keep the brush/vines/trees out of the fence rows but let the grasses and weeds grow up around them.

Same here except for the fence at the frontage road which gets glyphosate. Once brush and greenbriar, huisatch etc get going on barbed wire fences you'll have hell to pay when it comes time to replace them so we keep them clear except for grass and common weeds.

TexasBred":1knk2e61 said:
Let those trees and the brush get thick enough and you'll never have (or be able) to fix fence again.
I fixed that for ya.
My nearest neighbor likes fences like that--brush and vines so dense that cows can't even get close to the wire itself--I hate it tho. That growth has a tendency to just ge widder and wider and the next thing you know, you've got 20' either side of the wire that's all grown up and not maintainable even with a bush hog.
Then the wire will grow into the bark of saplings and trees, then one day, wind blows one over or just leans it and a few others, the wire is loose and the only way to really pull the fence back tight is to build a whole new fence. btdt and got one more to do.

I use a mix of roundup, remedy and 2,4d. If there's nothing next to the fence to eat, or under it, the cows generally stay away from it and won't be pushing on it.
I just want to be able to fix fence without hacking thru a bunch of crap first.

greybeard":24w71qg3 said:
[I use a mix of roundup, remedy and 2,4d. If there's nothing next to the fence to eat, or under it, the cows generally stay away from it and won't be pushing on it.

I couldnt agree more :nod:

skyhightree1":7x9l12h1 said:
greybeard":7x9l12h1 said:
[I use a mix of roundup, remedy and 2,4d. If there's nothing next to the fence to eat, or under it, the cows generally stay away from it and won't be pushing on it.

I spend a lot of time and money raising grass. I also manage it well enough that the cows don't push on the fence to get something to eat. Leave off the roundup and maybe the cows will have a little more to eat.

novatech":21ai7rwf said:
skyhightree1":21ai7rwf said:
greybeard":21ai7rwf said:

I spend a lot of time and money raising grass. I also manage it well enough that the cows don't push on the fence to get something to eat. Leave off the roundup and maybe the cows will have a little more to eat.

I also spend alot of time and $ in pastures and fencing lol ounce of prevention" or in this case roundup & 2,4d " is worth more than a pound of cure. :lol2:

greybeard":1f7d5tcm said:
TexasBred":1f7d5tcm said:
Let those trees and the brush get thick enough and you'll never have (or be able) to fix fence again.
I fixed that for ya.
My nearest neighbor likes fences like that--brush and vines so dense that cows can't even get close to the wire itself--I hate it tho. That growth has a tendency to just ge widder and wider and the next thing you know, you've got 20' either side of the wire that's all grown up and not maintainable even with a bush hog.
Then the wire will grow into the bark of saplings and trees, then one day, wind blows one over or just leans it and a few others, the wire is loose and the only way to really pull the fence back tight is to build a whole new fence. btdt and got one more to do.

I use a mix of roundup, remedy and 2,4d. If there's nothing next to the fence to eat, or under it, the cows generally stay away from it and won't be pushing on it.

Seems to be pretty common out here GB...if it weren't for the hackberry and mesquite in the fence it would all be laying on the ground.

Sunfish":37nx8qxz said:
I've never worried too much about what others think. If I choose to keep my place neat and clean or let part of it grow up for wildlife it's my idea. Worrying about what other people think has never entered my mind.
Worrying about what people think or judging and comparing yourself to others is a she-man and female trait
Don't tell me.....you're cowgirl8's twin. :lol2: :lol2: