Spraying a fence row

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Normally, I'd never spray a fence row. I will spray bushes and saw briers in a fence row, but nothing that would kill the grass. I've got a property line fence, that is really getting grown up. To the point, it's hard to get in it to work on it. I offered to have the fence pushed out, and re do it (my treat btw). Neighbor wasn't feeling it. Not sure why, but to each his own I guess. Ifi mix round up and 2 four D pretty heavy, and wet the whole thing it, will that the vines and briars? There's no species in it, that I find hard to kill. No multifloral rose, and no locust. I'd like to burn it, when it's had time to die. Maybe cut some of the crap out of it, and then keep it maintained like my other fences. Think that mix will do it?

Yes BF, that mix will work but as M-5 has said, it may require a second round later on. I typically will spray all of my fence rows at least twice a year... Round-up at 6oz/per gal and 2-4D at 3oz/per gal. You may have to mix a stronger solution based on your description.

Greenbrier, saw brier, smilax or whatever you want to call it is going to be tougher than the spray mix you mentioned. You need to get the wax off of the leaves to get it. Not telling you what to do as a recommendation but just saying what worked here. I mixed double strength roundup or generic, a dose of spray grade ammonium sulfate, recommended rate of non-ionic surfactant and BINGO. It is very corrosive so avoid the decent wire, any metal you like and the vehicle you spray from.

If there are vines and briers I use Remedy in a mix with Grazon. Doesn;t do anythign to the grass but hammers everything else.

It's just 1050 feet long. A few big trees in it, that I will leave of course. I think those trees are the ones the gentleman is worried about. We're a couple weeks or more away from a green up here. May be longer than that, before I can spray. I just hate a grows up fence. There so dang hard to work on.

1/2 gallon of Eraser to 5 gallons of diesel fuel, it won't come back for years. That mix will even kill briars and privet.

Ol' 243":3qodp6gq said:
1/2 gallon of Eraser to 5 gallons of diesel fuel, it won't come back for years. That mix will even kill briars and privet.

Is eraser just glyphosate, or is something else in it?

I thought diesel would burn the leaves, before the chemical could work?

I'm all in though, if it's effective.

Bigfoot":13zgdfdz said:
Ol' 243":13zgdfdz said:

Is eraser just glyphosate, or is something else in it?

I thought diesel would burn the leaves, before the chemical could work?

I'm all in though, if it's effective.

Eraser is just generic Roundup. It works, I can guarantee that.

Round up and 24D takes care of my fence lines but as was stated I do it a couple times a year. Its a lot easier and faster riding the 4 wheeler spraying than cutting with a weed eater or bush ax.

skyhightree1":3kauy5l8 said:
Round up and 24D takes care of my fence lines but as was stated I do it a couple times a year. Its a lot easier and faster riding the 4 wheeler spraying than cutting with a weed eater or bush ax.

I agree 100%. My personal policy is let the grass grow, and kill the broad leafs. This fence row is just completely overgrown.

Bigfoot":3cfh6wh5 said:
skyhightree1":3cfh6wh5 said:

I agree 100%. My personal policy is let the grass grow, and kill the broad leafs. This fence row is just completely overgrown.

Many wont agree with me but I tend to burn a foot or two in front of the fence and everything on the other side of the fence. I don't want any cattle near the fence I don't want them to have a reason to be near the fence

I would like to do that, but the ground would wash away if I did. Does yours ever erode where you spray?

Bigfoot":w3v0guse said:
I would like to do that, but the ground would wash away if I did. Does yours ever erode where you spray?

Well im on for the most part flat land but on my hilly sections and the sides where my fence line is right on the ditch line it stays been there for years no noticeable soil washing away.

Is that some kind of a fence row flame thrower? If so, how safe is it?