Sprayer calculation question

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Can some one double check my math here?

I bought one of those little sprayers you pull behind a mower that has a wand and a boom with 2 nozzles, 6ft of coverage, 2.2gpm pump. I need to be able to spray a long road and some other gravel areas with some form of glyphosate. For now using Eraser Max. It says 7.4 oz per 1-10g of water, maz rate, per 1000 sq ft.

I found a formula on line that says

GAL/1000 sq ft = (136 x GPM (per nozzle))/ MPH x W (inch))

If I put in 5mph, 36 in, and assume 1.1gpm per nozzle, I'm getting 0.82 gal/ 1000 sq ft/ per nozzle? Does that sound right? That would get me real close to 2 gal with 2 nozzles correct?

With that low of a rate I guess I should mix the 7.4 oz to 1g, not the 10 gallons?

Also if yall have any suggestions for a roundup type product or application to get good results I'm game. Thought about adding a little surf to it. These are areas we dont want grass for years to come.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-140823_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-140823_Gallery.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Brute, we have a small 20 gallon yard sprayer we pull behind the lawnmower. Trying to calculate a calibration wasn't working out. To simplify calibration, fill the tank with water only and see how many gallons it puts out (on ours we use 10' wide x 100' long = 1,000 sq. ft.).

Then we would use the 7.4 oz to what ever the gallons used in our test. I think the key here is to use the recommended rate of chemical per 1,000 sq. ft. and not get hung up on how many gallons that is, other than knowing how many gallons to put in the tank. Does this make sense?

We use roundup 365 or a similar product that is glyphosate and per-emergent along with a surfactant.

I bought one of those little sprayers you pull behind a mower that has a wand and a boom with 2 nozzles, 6ft of coverage, 2.2gpm pump. I need to be able to spray a long road and some other gravel areas with some form of glyphosate. For now using Eraser Max. It says 7.4 oz per 1-10g of water, maz rate, per 1000 sq ft.

If I put in 5mph, 36 in, and assume 1.1gpm per nozzle, I'm getting 0.82 gal/ 1000 sq ft/ per nozzle? Does that sound right? That would get me real close to 2 gal with 2 nozzles correct?

With that low of a rate I guess I should mix the 7.4 oz to 1g, not the 10 gallons?

Also if yall have any suggestions for a roundup type product or application to get good results I'm game. Thought about adding a little surf to it. These are areas we dont want grass for years to come.

Thanks
This isn't going to be real scientific brute. But for spraying roundup on a gravel road??
I've got a little 25 gallon tsc boomless on my side by side. It'll spray about 20' swath at 30 psi. At 6 mph it'll cover about two acres. So 12 gallons per acre. I figured that out the fence builder way....no math involved lol. Use your gravel road and cheap roundup to get to know your sprayer.
Perfect opportunity. Can't really screw nuthin up .lol

There's charts for the nozzles. Pressure/speed/gallons per acre. That'll usually get you in the ballpark. Or as others are suggesting basically you need to figure out how much area you cover per tankful or how many gallons you use spraying the area you want to spray and add the right amount of product.

I have a little 3 point sprayer I use sometimes and I know I can do about 7 acres per tank with it so I add enough Glysophate to do 7 acres and I'm good to go if I travel the right speed. Only has to be figured out once if you always spray the same thing at the same speed

There's charts for the nozzles. Pressure/speed/gallons per acre. That'll usually get you in the ballpark. Or as others are suggesting basically you need to figure out how much area you cover per tankful or how many gallons you use spraying the area you want to spray and add the right amount of product.

I have a little 3 point sprayer I use sometimes and I know I can do about 7 acres per tank with it so I add enough Glysophate to do 7 acres and I'm good to go if I travel the right speed. Only has to be figured out once if you always spray the same thing at the same speed
This little cheapo sprayer didn't come with a chart for the nozzles.

This isn't going to be real scientific brute. But for spraying roundup on a gravel road??
I've got a little 25 gallon tsc boomless on my side by side. It'll spray about 20' swath at 30 psi. At 6 mph it'll cover about two acres. So 12 gallons per acre. I figured that out the fence builder way....no math involved lol. Use your gravel road and cheap roundup to get to know your sprayer.
Perfect opportunity. Can't really screw nuthin up .lol

Do you have a true boomless or what TSC calls boomless but it's really a mini-boom?
Those mini-booms are better than they may look. Pretty pricey for what they are tho. About $150 and an end nozzle replacement is around $60.
Mini-boom:miniboom.jpg

I bought just the boom from Producers up at Bryan in 2011, plumbed it in on my 300 gal sprayer and pto driven 6 roller pump and it did a great job spraying remedy and 2,4d at a nearly 40 ft swath (45psi) untill I forgot to take it off last winter and the squirrels chewed up one of the end nozzles.
It didn't put out as much volume as my teejet boomless cluster, but to me, the teejet put out so much volume that I had to drive faster than my terrain really allowed.

spray3.jpg

spray2.jpg

I can't help having a dig with you blokes struggling with the old imperial system of weights and measures. In reality things are much simpler as so many measures are interlinked like 1cc is 1 cubic centimeter or one ml and 1000 ml is 1 litre and 1 litre is 1 kilogram. 100 metres x 100 metres is 1 hectare.
Here endeth the first lesson but I know it has fallen on deaf ears as I know there are 3 things that you guys will never give up.
I. Your imperial system of measurement.
2. your guns.
3. your V8's vehicles.

Ken

1.7 mi is 8976 ft. 8976X12ft wide=107712 sq ft/42560sq ft per acre=2.53 acres. 20gallons/2.53acres=7.9 gallon per acre at 5mph

For Roundup only I would mix 2.5 to 3.5 qt per tank full depending on height of weeds. That's 32-44 oz per acre approx.

For a full tank full of Eraser Max, you would need 6.22 gallons. That's according to the label stating 1 gallon does 17297 sq ft. That is if you want to lay bare a full 2.53 acres with it. How much area do you want to spray with the eraser max?

Do you have a true boomless or what TSC calls boomless but it's really a mini-boom?
Those mini-booms are better than they may look. Pretty pricey for what they are tho. About $150 and an end nozzle replacement is around $60.
Mini-boom:View attachment 4952

I bought just the boom from Producers up at Bryan in 2011, plumbed it in on my 300 gal sprayer and pto driven 6 roller pump and it did a great job spraying remedy and 2,4d at a nearly 40 ft swath (45psi) untill I forgot to take it off last winter and the squirrels chewed up one of the end nozzles.
It didn't put out as much volume as my teejet boomless cluster, but to me, the teejet put out so much volume that I had to drive faster than my terrain really allowed.

View attachment 4955

View attachment 4956
Yes that's the sprayer. I'm on my second one. It doesn't use a boomless noozle but it doesn't have booms..lol so call it what you will.
I agree it will spray 40 ' with the recirculation valve closed all the way, but I get to fine a droplet especially for 24d. So I run it a 30.
My 300 gallon is quite similar to yours except I use two Hamilton # 10s one set to the right one to the left.
Another thing about the little electric sprayers. Is you add to the the light gauge wiring harness you will get a noticably loss of performance unless you make a harness of heavier gauge wire.

I can't help having a dig with you blokes struggling with the old imperial system of weights and measures. In reality things are much simpler as so many measures are interlinked like 1cc is 1 cubic centimeter or one ml and 1000 ml is 1 litre and 1 litre is 1 kilogram. 100 metres x 100 metres is 1 hectare.
Here endeth the first lesson but I know it has fallen on deaf ears as I know there are 3 things that you guys will never give up.
2. your guns.
3. your V8's vehicles.

Ken
I will agree, the metric system is simple. However, our standard system helped me get good at basic math by figuring things out by it.
You're right about the guns. Now the V8's, things are changing, a lot of diesel straight 6's anymore. What do you all have under your hoods?

1.7 mi is 8976 ft. 8976X12ft wide=107712 sq ft/42560sq ft per acre=2.53 acres. 20gallons/2.53acres=7.9 gallon per acre at 5mph

For Roundup only I would mix 2.5 to 3.5 qt per tank full depending on height of weeds. That's 32-44 oz per acre approx.

For a full tank full of Eraser Max, you would need 6.22 gallons. That's according to the label stating 1 gallon does 17297 sq ft. That is if you want to lay bare a full 2.53 acres with it. How much area do you want to spray with the eraser max?
That is the area we want to spray, plus some parking areas. It's all gravel and it's a full time job keeping the grass from growing in it.

@greybeard Its not actually from TSC. Got it at the local feed store. It's a 25g tank on little trailer. It has a piece of metal a couple feet long with a nozzle on each end that I call the "boom". I looked at the tsc ones but didnt need that big of a pattern. Was trying to keep it as low to the ground narrow as possible given what I was spraying.

I think they may be over pressuring those nozzles. I haven't got to use it when it's dead still outside but it is a really fine spray pattern. It looks like some of the liquid is almost atomizing.

I figured 2.5 acre in my head. 16 foot swath is an acre every half mile so 12 foot is 3/4 an acre every half mile.

2. your guns.
3. your V8's vehicles.

Ken
You have wisdom grasshopper!
Gallons, guns and muscle cars are here to stay.
Heck the V8 in my Chevy Silverado today would have smoked my 69 GTO.
To get a Chrysler Hellcat engine put in a retro 68 Super Bee , I be at the dealership tomorrow with my checkbook.

Thanks
Try a free App called "spraying simple" does all the math for you-

Latest posts