spray chemical help

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
I need something that will kill evergreen shrubs , the ones that make the little berries that birds spread everywhere. 24d anime 24dlv round up wont phase them. Everything else around looks like I napalmed it. Very waxy leaves and I used real surfactant

ga.prime":g25bir2d said:
Remedy will work.
On some evergreen it will. It helps to mix it with a penetrant, same as you would with greenbriar. I have lots of little Eastern cedar, and Remedy/24-d/water mix wouldn't do the trick even sprayed to point of runoff. It neeed something to get thru the waxy leaf covering.

I had pretty good luck with glyphosate+imazpyr too but it will kill everything under the shrub as well. You can't use it broadcast--just spot spray right on the target. It too is slow acting tho--may be because it was so dry out and the cedars weren't doing much growing. Took a couple-3 weeks for them to turn brown.

This is the DOW recommendation.

Dow AgroSciences
Home > Weed Brush > Woody Plants / Brush > Eastern Redcedar
Weed Brush
Annuals
Biennials/Perennials
Woody Plants / Brush
Invasive Species

Eastern Redcedar

Cupressaceae family. Perennial tree that can grow up to 65 feet high. Reproduction is through seeds. Flowering occurs from March to May. Consumption of foliage by cattle has been reported to infrequently cause abortions.

Leaves: Opposite, evergreen; leaves on mature twigs closely appressed, overlapping, broadly triangular (about 1.5 millimeters long), tip sharply pointed, thick resinous, without hair, sessile; leaves on immature twigs nearly awl-shaped (6 to 12 millimeters long).

Flowers: Staminate and small pistillate flowers.

Fruit: Pistillate cones bluish-purple, globe- to egg-shaped (4 to 7 millimeters in diameter), covered with a whitish wax, usually two-seeded (varies from one to three).

Treatment

Tordon® 22K herbicide

The most effective option for treating Eastern redcedar is to treat individual trees using a soil-spot concentrate application of undiluted Tordon® 22K herbicide. In accordance with the label, place 4 milliliters (or cc's, using an old syringe) per foot of tree height directly on the soil beneath the plant — between the trunk and the edge of the dripline. If the tree is growing on a slope, place the herbicide on the upslope side. Apply the spots of liquid in a ring around the plant. Treat prior to expected rainfall, especially during the spring or early fall.

Soil-spot Application Rate
Tree Height Amount of Tordon 22K
3 feet 4 mL (cc's)
6 feet 8 mL
9 feet 12 mL
12 feet 16 mL
Other Options

Graslan™ L herbicide

Recommendation:
High-volume Foliar . To control small, encroaching patches of Eastern redcedar or to treat individual plants, use the labeled rate of a 5 pints of Graslan™ L herbicide per 100 gallons of water. For the best control, spray to thoroughly wet the foliage and stems. To minimize spray drift and achieve good coverage, use the lowest possible pressure and coarse spray. Do not apply more than 5 pints of Graslan L per acre.

Treatment Timing

Soil-spot Concentrate method: Apply in the spring or the fall, prior to expected moisture.

High-volume Foliar method: Apply when conditions are favorable for plant growth.

Legal Requirements

®™Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow

Tordon 22K and Graslan L are federally Restricted Use Pesticides.

Yes I'm sure Tordon will work too, but for me, Tordon has so much restrictions using it around water I'm always leery of it.
(It will sure kill tallow trees as basal application tho)

M-5":1f99d5zv said:

this is what it resembles , according to wiki its a bay laural tree , I have never thought about cooking when Im mowing or try to kill the dam things
I'd put pepper on it then.

You say ever green I think cedar or juniper.
The that's not what you got there. But I haven't seen much that would including cedar, young mesquite and prickly pear. That stood a chance to a quart of tordo 22 or grazonp+d tank mixed with a pint of remedy in 20 gallons.
of water.

The Christmas trees (cedar) here can be killed with 24d and popcorn trees cant stand it either. This tree-bush stays green 12mths a yr. I first started spraying it 3 weeks ago with the boomless sprayer with a hot mixture of 24d LV everything It touched besides these trees died , even the low hanging oak branches the leaves died. I came back last week with 24d and roundup and specifically sprayed them with wand and today everything I sprayed elsewhere is yellow and dying on or 2 leaves on the bushes look sick but everything else is green. I was looking for other suggestions before I get my hands on some paraquat gramoxone

Eastern red cedar I use Grazon, a little 24D, and crop oil as surfactant. Do not spray anything over about 2 feet cuz it won't get it well enough, those need chainsawed. ;-) We don't have any other trees or bushes to spray in general.

cfpinz":2ub92dqz said:
Have you tried Remedy?

No I have not , Before I spend anymore money on it I wanted to see what recommendations others had. I have sprayed them twice already. all total its about 3.5 acres or a little more. I bush hogged lanes so I could spray with the boomless sprayer. Its an area between 2 fields about 75 to 100 feet wide by 1/4 mile long , I will have to come back and treat the areas that I mowed when the sprout back

I'm not familiar with the plant in your picture, but we have some here that are similar in appearance and they're pretty persistent/invasive. Remedy mixed in with 2,4d will take care of the ones here.

I would say cide kick II surfactant (it's a bark/cuticle penetrant) and remedy would do the trick. I have killed honey locust, as well as ceder that were several feet tall with that concoction. I have fought honey locust my entire adult lif. I am about ready to declare victory on it thanks to those two.

I didn't read all post so if I'm repeating I apologize
I haven't found anything Remedy and diesel won't kill
3 parts diesel and 1 part remedy
Spray the trunk 360 degrees around from limbs down to the ground and watch them die !

Latest posts