poly rope fence gate help

Help Support CattleToday:

blanx

Reaction score
My setup, 4 line poly rope around 3 different pastures. Gates from pasture to pasture and gates into each pasture from 1 side of the main property. All rope is on T-post with plastic insulators.

Currently the gates are the typical spring handles with poly rope hooked to 1 end and a loop of poly rope on the other side.

The issue I have is 4 handles is a bit much to open every time I want to move equipment in or out, or allow grazing in a different pasture. I have to have low lines to keep the dogs out because they are aggressive towards animals. I have to have a high line and the middle line is needed to keep anything from just stepping over.

Is there a way to hook all 4 lines to something lets say a non conductive rod maybe fiberglass, then use 1 handle that is hooked to the live poly rope and still hook it to the live loop on the other side? Maybe someone else has a better idea.

When I first set this up I didn't use the low line Big mistake, darn dogs, So I added that. Then the first time I went to open the pasture I was almost trampled because they wanted into the "better" grass of the new pasture.

I also am looking for what others do when they open the gates. So My t-post are 10foot apart, but gates are 14foot. I can't hook to another T-post. I end up hanging them on the fence line but I have 4 foot of slack. Ive been considering making the "hinge" side of the gate dead hooked to separate insulators with no charge. Then when the handle is hooked in to the loop the gate will be powered. Only 2 of the gates will need underground wire to ensure both sides are powered. Most of the fence is powered on both sides due to the layout and configuration of the fence.

Sorry for the long post.
[image]441[/image]

any help would be great.

callmefence said:
sstterry said:
I see where you might have a problem with a regular gate because of the dogs, but that is the simplest solution. Here is a product from New Zealand that might work if the dogs are a big concern.

https://www.taragate.co.nz/product/lifestyler-electric-gate-systems/

Use a wire filled gate
I think he might be concerned about dogs burrowing under it. But, I will let him answer that. I agree with you that a regular gate is the easiest solution.

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
sstterry said:
I see where you might have a problem with a regular gate because of the dogs, but that is the simplest solution. Here is a product from New Zealand that might work if the dogs are a big concern.

https://www.taragate.co.nz/product/lifestyler-electric-gate-systems/

Use a wire filled gate
I think he might be concerned about dogs burrowing under it. But, I will let him answer that. I agree with you that a regular gate is the easiest solution.

That's what we generally do is drive a pipe post and hang a gate. On a really temporary deal we just set up a cattle panel with wire for hinges sits right on the ground. I can't comment on the new Zealand deal as I've never used it. Have you found it to work ok??

callmefence said:
sstterry said:
callmefence said:
Use a wire filled gate

That's what we generally do is drive a pipe post and hang a gate. On a really temporary deal we just set up a cattle panel with wire for hinges sits right on the ground. I can't comment on the new Zealand deal as I've never used it. Have you found it to work ok??
I have never used it, I had seen it on the internet and it matched his 4 rope setup.

Have you considered one wire at the top, with many wires hanging down. I have a ditch or two I go across that way. Often thought it would work for a gate.

Bigfoot said:
Have you considered one wire at the top, with many wires hanging down. I have a ditch or two I go across that way. Often thought it would work for a gate.

I have considered that yes.

Also a regular gate was an option however I dont have any on hand at the moment and the dogs could dig their way under. As of today they have found a spot that is low and can get under it pretty easily. I have also noticed the pulse timing is an issue. They have a good shot and making it under before they zap gets them. I'm going to have to fill in the low spot. You have to live a good dog but they are a pain when it comes to other wildlife. I'm more worried about what injuries the dogs will get when they act stupid.

blanx said:
Bigfoot said:

I have considered that yes.

Also a regular gate was an option however I dont have any on hand at the moment and the dogs could dig their way under. As of today they have found a spot that is low and can get under it pretty easily. I have also noticed the pulse timing is an issue. They have a good shot and making it under before they zap gets them. I'm going to have to fill in the low spot. You have to live a good dog but they are a pain when it comes to other wildlife. I'm more worried about what injuries the dogs will get when they act stupid.

I have a solution, but it has nothing to with working on the fence.

I have been thinking about this. Is it not possible just to drill some holes in a PVC pipe and attach the poly rope to that and do it that way? Loop at the bottom and loop at the top and voila, easy open.

poly-rope gate isn't going to stop dogs - anything electrified close enough to the ground to keep dogs out is going to short out constantly.

I've seen the taragate in use, and I only know one farm that uses them. They're easy to open and do seem to work well.
The farm I spent 7 years sharemilking on used the fibreglass rod system, three polywire tapes. It had its issues but it *did* do the job and was a lot easier to open that several separate handles. Electrical conduit was an undergate wire and where it wasn't, I ran a light chain as the central strand rather than carrying electricity across the gate on plastic.
One fibre glass rod. Push a plastic gate handle down onto the centre of that rod. Put an insulator and loop/latch on one post and three (or four if you want four strands) pinlock insulators evenly spaced on the opposing post. You can use fibreglass clips to run the tape/wire on the rod (my farm used chopped up dairy rubbers to keep the tape in place but they tended to pop off if a cow hit them the right way). Push one clip into each position that you want the wire. Start running your strand continuously from insulator to rod, loop up to next clip back to next insulator &c *making sure* you also wrap it around the metal part of the gate handle in the process. Latch gate, check tightness, hook gate latch up to hot wire.
It'll last a year or two if you don't have crazy cows, it'll take five minutes to repair or replace the polytape when it does break. Crazy cows gonna run straight through and leave it in tatters behind them. Most of my gates were made with polytape and the ability to conduct current seemed to drop off before the tape actually broke.

regolith said:
poly-rope gate isn't going to stop dogs - anything electrified close enough to the ground to keep dogs out is going to short out constantly.

I've seen the taragate in use, and I only know one farm that uses them. They're easy to open and do seem to work well.
The farm I spent 7 years sharemilking on used the fibreglass rod system, three polywire tapes. It had its issues but it *did* do the job and was a lot easier to open that several separate handles. Electrical conduit was an undergate wire and where it wasn't, I ran a light chain as the central strand rather than carrying electricity across the gate on plastic.
One fibre glass rod. Push a plastic gate handle down onto the centre of that rod. Put an insulator and loop/latch on one post and three (or four if you want four strands) pinlock insulators evenly spaced on the opposing post. You can use fibreglass clips to run the tape/wire on the rod (my farm used chopped up dairy rubbers to keep the tape in place but they tended to pop off if a cow hit them the right way). Push one clip into each position that you want the wire. Start running your strand continuously from insulator to rod, loop up to next clip back to next insulator &c *making sure* you also wrap it around the metal part of the gate handle in the process. Latch gate, check tightness, hook gate latch up to hot wire.
It'll last a year or two if you don't have crazy cows, it'll take five minutes to repair or replace the polytape when it does break. Crazy cows gonna run straight through and leave it in tatters behind them. Most of my gates were made with polytape and the ability to conduct current seemed to drop off before the tape actually broke.
Do you have a picture of that? I am having a hard time visualizing it.

not on this computer, it's three years since I left that farm. Basically looking at three evenly spaced strands of polytape in the gateway. Hooked to insulators on the "hinge-end" gate post. Other ends hooked to a fibreglass rod with a plastic spring handle in the middle. Handle attaches to a single insulator on the "latch end" gate post. The only tricky bit beyond that is ensuring it's all interconnected between the strands and gate handle, because it's the handle that electrifies the whole lot.
edit: found a pic it's on next post/page in this thread

My setup, 4 line poly rope around 3 different pastures. Gates from pasture to pasture and gates into each pasture from 1 side of the main property. All rope is on T-post with plastic insulators.

Currently the gates are the typical spring handles with poly rope hooked to 1 end and a loop of poly rope on the other side.

The issue I have is 4 handles is a bit much to open every time I want to move equipment in or out, or allow grazing in a different pasture. I have to have low lines to keep the dogs out because they are aggressive towards animals. I have to have a high line and the middle line is needed to keep anything from just stepping over.

Is there a way to hook all 4 lines to something lets say a non conductive rod maybe fiberglass, then use 1 handle that is hooked to the live poly rope and still hook it to the live loop on the other side? Maybe someone else has a better idea.

When I first set this up I didn't use the low line Big mistake, darn dogs, So I added that. Then the first time I went to open the pasture I was almost trampled because they wanted into the "better" grass of the new pasture.

I also am looking for what others do when they open the gates. So My t-post are 10foot apart, but gates are 14foot. I can't hook to another T-post. I end up hanging them on the fence line but I have 4 foot of slack. Ive been considering making the "hinge" side of the gate dead hooked to separate insulators with no charge. Then when the handle is hooked in to the loop the gate will be powered. Only 2 of the gates will need underground wire to ensure both sides are powered. Most of the fence is powered on both sides due to the layout and configuration of the fence.

Sorry for the long post.
[image]441[/image]

any help would be great.
do you have any trouble keeping cows in with polyrope.. ?

Latest posts