Spike 20 p

Help Support CattleToday:

CokaColaCowboy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using spike and have advice on how they've spread it. I bought 20 pounds of the Spike 20 p with the plan of killing out all the brush and trees in my fence rows. Based on the acreage application rate I should be able to do about 6 miles of fence line in a 5 foot wide strip with the 20 pounds I've purchased. I can't seem to find any instructions though on getting it spread and I've never applied something so thin. Even a hand held seed spreader seems like it's going to be tough. Any advice would be appreciated. I see now that there is a newer version of the product that you can spray but the product I have is the 20 p which is a granular.

Thanks

I have used a airplane to do about 150 acres that we had the running oak brush on it knocked it out stone cold never seen anything work that good we did 7lbs per acre. but as for what your wanting to do I would say call the dow chemical rep and ask them how much to put out just make sure you don't get to much rain you don't want it running to far

You'd be better off having bought the liquid but you can do it this way and you'll be better off than trying to figure out the right amount of dry to use. (well figuring it out is no problem but applying the proper amount would be)

Its water activated and will dissolve in water so you could mix it with water then run it through your sprayer. To do this, assuming you are going to put out a 3' band with your sprayer nozzle, measure off 333' along your fence. Then fill your sprayer with a measured amount of water and spray the 3' band 333' foot band. This will be roughly 1000 square feet of coverage. Measure the amount of water left in the tank and subtract this from your total. This is your base rate of water. Say if its 5 gallons and you have a 25 gallon tank then you can treat 5000' of fence. Per the label, you want to use 3/8 to 1 1/8 ounce (by weight) for each 5 gallons of water. So you'd need around 5 ounces - by weight.

Its been my experience herbicides like this work best in the spring. Also, soil active herbicides like this give better kills if the treatment is followed by a rain within two weeks. Spraying a day before a rain is even better. Also, keep in mind its not going to do anything until it gets in the soil. Increasing the amount of water can enhance soil contact.

Jo is correct. Works better in some soils than others. In my tight blackland clay soil it doesn't work very well at all.
With pronone power pellets which are similar dropping one pellet per linear foot of fence works fairly well.

Latest posts