Grazon P+D

Help Support CattleToday:

ddrennan0

Reaction score
I have read where Grazon P+D is no longer made by Dow because the license expired or something. So they are now making GrazonNext with different active ingredient. What are you using now instead of the P+D? Some mix of Tordon plus 2,4-D? We just ran out of P+D that we mixed with Remedy for the woody weeds. Any help is appreciated!

I bought 2 gallons of the grazonnext. Hands down, the best weed control I ever sprayed. It may very well be, the only thing I spray in the future. If the old version (p plus d) works as well, I'd be very intersted in making some homebrew of picloram and 2 four D. I'll be following this thread closely.

I still have 20 gallons of p+d , I have not used the new grazon. I guess it'll be two years before I do.
P+d is hard to beat.

I thought P + D was the best thing going but I am very please with GrazonNext and would probably not go back. I would give it a try before mixing your own P + D. Surmount would be another choice if you think you must have Picloram.

fenceman":3496s1cq said:
I still have 20 gallons of p+d , I have not used the new grazon. I guess it'll be two years before I do.
P+d is hard to beat.
I'm in the same boat. Drained off 30 gallons of P+D last week end and sprayed 15 of it already. Nothing left to spray till next year excet for a spot spray here and there.

I used GrazonNext last year and was very pleased with the control I got on western ragweed, Carolina horsenettle and silverleaf nightshade. It did so good, I was able to drop back and use 2,4-D plus 1/10 oz. MSM for goatweed.

BC":kpt2vzjx said:
I used GrazonNext last year and was very pleased with the control I got on western ragweed, Carolina horsenettle and silverleaf nightshade. It did so good, I was able to drop back and use 2,4-D plus 1/10 oz. MSM for goatweed.

That MSM, methyl something or other, is it just for Bermuda?

Bigfoot":2m0yx9z2 said:
BC":2m0yx9z2 said:

That MSM, methyl something or other, is it just for Bermuda?
Metsulfuron Methyl can be used on a number of forage species. It will also control some grasses like Bahia. You will have to read the label to see if it will bother what you have. The labeled rate to control Bahia is 3/10 oz. per acre so I don't think I did much damage to it as the field I used it in was mostly Bermuda with a little Bahia.

Brute 23":3e3uaq8k said:
Grazon Next is more effective than P+D and will kill the woody plants... no need to add remedy.
Depends which woody plants need to be killed. Some products 'kill' some stuff and just 'control' others. (I've yet to find any single product that kills it all)

What would the ratio of 2,4 d and tordon be to mix up some grazon p + d at home?

greybeard":94lqyk44 said:
Brute 23":94lqyk44 said:
Grazon Next is more effective than P+D and will kill the woody plants... no need to add remedy.
Depends which woody plants need to be killed. Some products 'kill' some stuff and just 'control' others. (I've yet to find any single product that kills it all)

Which woody plants will NEXT not kill?

It would be hard to accurately determine the exact mixes, as P&D specimen lable says
Picloram-10.%
2,4d-39.6%
"other" ingredients-50.2%

Even if you could buy 100% pure picloram and 2,4d, you still would have to determine what to use as the carrier--the "other" ingredient(s)
When we buy picloram or 2,4d individually off the shelf, each of those as well will come as a percent (volume to volume/active ingredient to "other" )
If you buy the Picloram alone and the 2,4d alone, each will have it's own % of other, and the active part may (or may not) be the same as in Grazon P&D
see the problem?

Why not just buy this?
http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/in ... aQodF5MBkg

banekar":uxdbcfnf said:
We use Trooper P+D. I believe it is a generic for Grazon.
Basically same %s as Grazon P&D--.2% more picloram.

Some other generics:
picloram + 2,4-D = Trooper P+D; Sekor P+D; Gunslinger; Hired Hand

Bigfoot":3o7ow8c7 said:
What would the ratio of 2,4 d and tordon be to mix up some grazon p + d at home?

To mix your own would be:
1 qt/acre P+D=.54 pt Tordon, 1 pt 2,4-D Amine
2 qt/acre=1.08 pt. Tordon, 1 qt Amine

GrazonNext HL would be:
1.5 pt. Acre Next=5.28 oz Milestone, 22.5 oz 2,4-D LV4

Forefront HL would be:
1.2 pt Forefront=3 oz Milestone, .8 pt 2,4-D Amine
1.5 pt Forefront=4 oz Milestone, 1 pt Amine

What we're hearing from our Dow rep is that Tordon will always have a place, but Milestone is the way to go, hence the GrazonNext/Forefront premixes. The other benefit to Milestone is you don't have to have a Restricted Use Pesticide License to purchase it. Not sure how it is in other states, but in Kansas you are legally supposed to have a RUP license to purchase any restricted use products, i.e. Tordon, Atrazine, most insecticides, etc.

Thanks nkotb. That's info I can use. I've never actually sprayed tordon before. Anything I should know, besides the obvious restrictions on the label?

Latest posts