Spicy fish

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Ok, this group has always got an answer for a question so here goes... Willnot be long before I am eating way more fish that I want to. The recipe I 'm looking for is for spicy fried fish, and I dont mean the batter, but the fish itself... Times when Ive had it, was usually when I was in Louisiana.

You can peal back the crust and the fish will be pink from the spice. So anybody got that recipe?

I'm thinking this is what you are thinking of. Paul invented this but there are a lot of variations. The spices lend the meat the color - namely the paprika.

Chef Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Recipe

Makes 6 servings

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter,
melted in a skillet

Seasoning mix:
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
(preferably cayenne)
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

6 (8- to 10-ounce) fish fillets (preferably redfish,
pompano or tilefish), cut about 1/2 inch thick

Note: Redfish and pompano are ideal for this method of cooking. If tilefish is
used, you may have to split the fillets in half horizontally to have the proper thickness. If you can't get any of these fish, salmon steaks or red snapper
fillets can be substituted. In any case, the fillets or steaks must not be more
than 3/4 inch thick.

Heat a large cast-iron skillet over very high heat until it is beyond the
smoking stage and you see white ash in the skillet bottom (the skillet can-
not be too hot for this dish), at least 10 minutes. [Believe me, this will set
off your smoke alarm. We always do this outside. MG]
Meanwhile, pour 2 tablespoons melted butter in each of 6 small ramekins;
set aside and keep warm. Reserve the remaining butter in its skillet. Heat
the serving plates in a 250-degree [F.] oven.
Thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl. Dip
each fillet in the reserved melted butter so that both sides are well coated; them sprinkle seasoning mix generously and evenly on both sides of the
fillets, patting it in by hand. Place in the hot skillet and pour 1 teaspoon
melted butter on top of each fillet (be careful, as the butter may flame up). Cook, uncovered, over the same high heat until the underside looks
charred, about 2 minutes (the time will vary according to the fillet's thick-
ness and the heat of the skillet). Turn the fish over and again pour 1 tea-
spoon butter on top; cook until fish is done, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with remaining fillets. Serve each fillet while piping hot. To serve, place
one fillet and a ramekin of butter on each heated serving plate.

Jo, the fish is batter fried not blackened, but I do like your blackened recipe better than mine. I will be trying that one as well as you smoked recipe. Perhaps they are marinating the fish in red hot sauce before battering it.

Do you think maybe they dusted the fillets in something like this then battered and fried them? Never done it but I've heard of people doing stuff like this. Would probably look more appetizing than the black charr and you wouldn't have the fire alarm going off. :lol2:

Jogeephus":3adqldis said:
Do you think maybe they dusted the fillets in something like this then battered and fried them? Never done it but I've heard of people doing stuff like this. Would probably look more appetizing than the black charr and you wouldn't have the fire alarm going off. :lol2:

That was what I was thinking, Jo. That way you see the spice on the fish instead of hidden in the batter.