Buffalo fish

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
My cousin had quite a bit of buffalo he caught, he wanted to know if I would can it, so I did.
I thought it was filets , but it wasn't, it had the ribs and back bone, so I cut it up the best I could, packed it in the jars and canned it.
I never done it this way before, but I figured just take the big bones out before making patties?

My cousin had quite a bit of buffalo he caught, he wanted to know if I would can it, so I did.
I thought it was filets , but it wasn't, it had the ribs and back bone, so I cut it up the best I could, packed it in the jars and canned it.
I never done it this way before, but I figured just take the big bones out before making patties?
The bones wont be much problem if i remember correctly. It seems like the smaller bones pretty much disolved. We canned White Suckers with lots of small bones.
Its been years since i seen a buffalo fish. Good eating.

The buffalo run up Dix River out of Herrington Lake was a big thing back in the 1960s. You threw a weighted treble hook into the current and hoped to snag a 20 pound buffalo ( a kind of thick and overgrown sucker); the water was thick with them.
They were full of small bones but edible if you fixed them right. Not many people bothered to go to the trouble.
When I was a kid I fished and hunted year around. We gigged suckers in February, caught white bass in March, waded streams for Smallmouth Bass in April and May. By summer it was "Jingle Lines' for catfish and White Perch, nylon cords tied to limbs and baited with crawdeads.
Those days are long gone and fishing in central Kentucky is nothing like it once was.

The bones wont be much problem if i remember correctly. It seems like the smaller bones pretty much disolved. We canned White Suckers with lots of small bones.
Its been years since i seen a buffalo fish. Good eating.
Putting a T spoon of vinegar suppose to help dissolve the small bones.
I like the patties better than salmon

Putting a T spoon of vinegar suppose to help dissolve the small bones.
I like the patties better than salmon
I like pretty much everything better than salmon. But I have ate tons and tons of it. If you mean commercial canned salmon. That is pink salmon 99% of the time. Pink salmon are known in Alaska as dog food.

I like pretty much everything better than salmon. But I have ate tons and tons of it. If you mean commercial canned salmon. That is pink salmon 99% of the time. Pink salmon are known in Alaska as dog food.
My friend brought some back from Alaska, we had it baked, then patties out of the left overs, that's the only time I had salmon that wasn't canned, what kind I don't know.
We have a guy from Alaska that works with us, he said the same thing you did, dog food.

My friend brought some back from Alaska, we had it baked, then patties out of the left overs, that's the only time I had salmon that wasn't canned, what kind I don't know.
We have a guy from Alaska that works with us, he said the same thing you did, dog food.
You should be able to get unfrozen salmon from H-E-B's fish and shrimp section. . (no, I don't know what kind)

I pass by that section every time am headed for the produce section. There's no escaping the fish smell.

You should be able to get unfrozen salmon from H-E-B's fish and shrimp section. . (no, I don't know what kind)

I pass by that section every time am headed for the produce section. There's no escaping the fish smell.
I'm not going to buy any salmon as long as my cousin can catch all the buffalo I need.
I canned 14 pints, I kept two, I gave the rest away.

My BIL bottles a lot of fish and uses a pressure cooker so the bones get soft before they get bottled.

Woof woof.

Ken

Latest posts