fish recipes

Help Support CattleToday:

Take a whole fish. Species doesn't matter rub it with butter and soak it in whiskey overnight. Soak a cedar board in whiskey overnight put it on the grill and cook the fish on it till done. Throw away the fish and eat the board.!

Blackened. Fried, fish dip, smoked, baked?
That's like asking how to cook beef. What kind of flavor are you starting with and what are you looking for?

3waycross":6yktnbhp said:
Take a whole fish. Species doesn't matter rub it with butter and soak it in whiskey overnight. Soak a cedar board in whiskey overnight put it on the grill and cook the fish on it till done. Throw away the fish and eat the board.!
Works best on carp and mudcats.

Thing is i want to eat more fish, so maybe I should ask what kind is good to buy and then some recipes to eat it-baked or with batter would be great

All fish taste better fried to me. Please try to buy American caught fish. Funny this post came up, been in Port Canaveral fishing with my son for 2 weeks. Heading home right now.

highgrit":1fycyfez said:
All fish taste better fried to me. Please try to buy American caught fish. Funny this post came up, been in Port Canaveral fishing with my son for 2 weeks. Heading home right now.

Just read a study that says that if you eat fried fish 3 times a week you increase your chances of a heartattack by 37& If you eat broiled or baked or grilled fish 3 times a week you decrease it by almost the same number. That's quite a swing.

highgrit":vplgmr2m said:
45 minutes away and not even a phone call.

Gmn. Anything commercial frozen tastes like ass compared to fresh caught local.
You should have spoonbills, smallmouth, white bass, and crappe local.
Target those and you can't go wrong.
Fried, blackened seasoning. I like pan seared in butter and garlic. Easy and oh so good. Served over wild rice.

One of our favorites. I believe it's the same one Luby's Cafeteria serves.

Crispy Baked Cod
4 (6-ounce) cod fillets
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup corn flakes, crushed
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 tablespoon butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Dip fillets in egg white, then roll in crushed corn flakes. Arrange fish in baking pan. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and lemon pepper; drizzle with butter.
3. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.

slick4591":1xw7x64f said:

Crispy Baked Cod
4 (6-ounce) cod fillets
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Dip fillets in egg white, then roll in crushed corn flakes. Arrange fish in baking pan. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and lemon pepper; drizzle with butter.
3. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.
You're gonna brag on a buffet cafeteria Restaraunt recipe? :lol:

Have you eaten it? It's dang good.
moon.gif

Can't say I have. I'm a fish snob I'm told. Only snapper grouper Cobia redfish and snook for me.
I didn't grow up eating fish being from Arizona and all. So its an acquired taste. And Libys ain't acquired my taste yet

I would be a snob too if I was more coastal. I'm afraid Red Lobster and Long John Silvers is a close as it gets around here. We buy the Atlantic cod at Sam's Club.:lol2:

You guys still have white bass, strippers, largemouth and specks.
Shoot for the local fish and you can't go wrong.
With fish fresh is best. But I've been known to go to red lobster for all you can eat shrimp too. That's my weakness

GMN":2pp8g9zn said:
I need some good fish recipes, that are cooked any way

Your question is based so much on a regional fishery it's hard to answer. For example I live in the Pacific Northwest and when it comes to fish I eat Salmon, Halibut, Cod, Trout, Steelhead (sea run Rainbow trout), sea bass, ling cod, etc;. I would never think about eating a bottom dwelling, slim sucking cat fish or a little tiny bluegill and yes we have them both. Have had bass, but like the sea bass or black bass better. The key to good fish is fresh fish. I like fish battered and fried in oil or on the GRILL (for you southern boys who don't know what a BBQ is :D ) But fresh fish is best.

Alan

slick4591":3ru5xhko said:

Crispy Baked Cod
4 (6-ounce) cod fillets
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Makes 4 servings.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat: at least it tries to be healthy!

sometimes i get a craving for smoked fish, my Dad use to be a commercial fisherman in WI and he always brought home smoked fish wrapped in white paper it was kind of oily but so good, wish I could have some of that again, but i don't even know if they have that anymore.I have found that the deli meat made by sara lee the mesquite smoked turkey somehow tastes like smoked fish, everytime I eat it, it reminds me of the fish i use to love
My Grandma use to bake perch, some butter, onion and lemon, that was real good too, i guess I live in the wrong state for fresh fish-unless i could catch them somewhere-like catfish

If you want smoked fish go buy any oily fish and smoke it yourself. Salt pepper to taste. Your picking up on the smoke flavor of the turkey, not the turkey itself. I'd bet any way.

Baked, I always like this way:
Take the filets, and really slather them with good mayo. Add salt pepper, some crushed garlic.
Dice or slice some onions and celery, and some taters. Sautéed them in butter.
Place filets on tinfoil.
Dump the whole concoction On top of seasoned and slathered filets. sprinkle with crushe almonds. As much for flavor as for texture.
Make a tinfoil pouch. Place on preheated grill, preferably lump coal, or in over at 325f
Only takes about 15 -20 minutes depending on filet sizes and packets sizes.

GMN":tbl3jfih said:
sometimes i get a craving for smoked fish, my Dad use to be a commercial fisherman in WI and he always brought home smoked fish wrapped in white paper it was kind of oily but so good, wish I could have some of that again, but i don't even know if they have that anymore.I have found that the deli meat made by sara lee the mesquite smoked turkey somehow tastes like smoked fish, everytime I eat it, it reminds me of the fish i use to love
My Grandma use to bake perch, some butter, onion and lemon, that was real good too, i guess I live in the wrong state for fresh fish-unless i could catch them somewhere-like catfish

You dad was probably bringing home smoke fish using this method:

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/smokebr ... ngfish.htm

This takes time for the process to work, but you get a longer shelf life and better flavor when done properly. There's so much product out there that's enhance with chemical flavoring that's it hard to tell sometime what's real.

Latest posts