Spent malted grains from pubs...

Help Support CattleToday:

Rhune":140qji0d said:
Anyone have any experience/advice in feeding these to cattle?

Thanks in advance :)
I assume you're talking about wet brewers grain. Makes an excellent feed but has a short storage life.

Have been feeding a modified distiller's grain product from the local corn ethanol plant for years as a winter supplement to hay .
No (or very few legal) operations producing alcohol for human consumption here in my area, but when you get into the bourbon-producing areas of central KY, there are quite a few folks who feed wet distiller's mash to their cattle.
Good digestibility, good protein level, good fat source, carbohydrate level probably low, Ca:p ratio likely to be skewed toward the P side requiring some Ca supplementation.
Have seen some reports of alcohol intoxication - and death - in cattle that received wet distiller's mash containing too much residual ethanol.

There are a lot of micro breweries in my area. Thought it would be a good way to get some free chow for the cows.. heck, i might even get some free beer to take the 'trash' off their hands.

Lots of water so you have to have a short haul.
Medium protein, Medium energy.

Good to supplement cows if you need some supplementation and if the price is right(free).
Need to have enough animals to keep it fed up - it doesn't store well in the summer.

Neighbor feeds it free choice. He dumps it on a concrete pad and pushes it up to a creep wire. Two deliveries per week.

when you feed the wet brewers grains you have alot of drunk cows.an they stagger all over the place.

bigbull338":11v05hsf said:
when you feed the wet brewers grains you have alot of drunk cows.an they stagger all over the place.

I was told there's no alcohol as you're using grain that's been sparged or steeped to start your wort. No alcohol comes into play until after first fermentation. Not interested in drunk cows. Music gets too loud and poker games always end in fighting.

Rhune":ntahqugc said:
bigbull338":ntahqugc said:

I was told there's no alcohol as you're using grain that's been sparged or steeped to start your wort. No alcohol comes into play until after first fermentation. Not interested in drunk cows. Music gets too loud and poker games always end in fighting.

Fed as much as 35 lbs. per head per day to dairy cattle for years and never had a drunk one yet. Protein can be well over 20% on a dry matter basis and even tho it's mostly grain it's considered "roughage" in the diet.

they wont get drunk if you feed dry maltage.but if your feeding the liquid slurry from the brewerys the cows will get drunk an stagger around.

bigbull338":1kijtmw2 said:
they wont get drunk if you feed dry maltage.but if your feeding the liquid slurry from the brewerys the cows will get drunk an stagger around.

We fed "Wet Brewers Grain". No a slurry and had texture but definitely not dry. Probably 30% dry matter.

We get it by the dump trailer load from a local brewery and feed it wet. Never seen anyting stagger yet. (except for me of course)

There use to be a big brewery here. All the dairy farmers fed the brewers grain. It was pretty wet. I never saw and staggering cows. The farmers all cried when they shut the brewery down.

Latest posts