Speeding ticket from 2002

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
My husband got a letter from the friendly people at the DPS stating that he has an outstanding speeding ticket from the year 2002, in Wallice, Texas. That's around Rosenberg, I guess, somewhere in there. Anyhoo, the state has started a new data base for going back and researching old tickets. I guess he never paid this particular fine, and although I don't condone it, here's the story.

He was stopped. He got a ticket for speeding. He neglected to pay. Nothing happened. In the meanwhile, the city has tacked on several more fines, failure to appear, a few other things, and a 30 fine that they charged "because they felt like it". That's according to the less than friendly voice on the other line when Steve called the city of Wallice yesterday trying to find out what was going on.

Steve does not even remember getting the ticket. Don't look at me, we weren't married back then.

Woman on other line says there's a warrant out. But Steve has been stopped several times since then, most recently in May, and nothing happened.

I think he should go there, meet with a judge, request a trial and make nice with everyone. He's willing to pay the original fine, but not the 490 something dollars they want now.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Pay the fine and go on. By the time he takes off from work, spends the day or two at the courthouse, stress etc. its just not worth fighting them. And after all, failure to appear in court - you are gonna lose.

I think we must have gotten the same computer system. I just got notice that I let my insurance lapse for 14 days on a vehicle we rarely drive. Apparently when we change insurance carriers three years ago one of the vehicles fell through the cracks and there was no coverage on it. Now I'm being fined. :mad:

What got me mad was the power hungry clerk he talked to yesterday. When Steve did request a trial, she denied him! I believe it is everyone's right to request a trial in this country. I hate snotty clerks. We have one in the tax office here that just makes me angry. :mad:

I understand they have a job to do and all, but a little pleasantness does not harm you, and she can't deny anyone the request to speak to a judge. Sorry. Constitution here!

After all is said anddone and court costs are figured in, you're probably goingto be money ahead to just write a check for $490 and get on with life.

Lammie

Just pay it and get something that states you are free and clear.

Life will go on - not a pleasant way to do business - but if I put myself in the place of the clerk - she deals with a ton of as**oles every day - glad I do not have her job. No matter ow nice you are to her, she is pre-conditioned - not really her fault.

Otherwise, sometime when stopped for a check, he will just be paced in the back of the cruiser and the vehicle will be towed.

Do it and be done - write it off as an unpleasant experience and move on.

Regards

Bez>

Well, that's HIS birthday present then! I don't know how he managed to forget. When I get a ticket I obcess on it till I get it taken care of. How do you forget something like that? Is there a part in a man's brain that just has an automatic turn-off valve?

Lammie":p0kjq4t7 said:
Well, that's HIS birthday present then! I don't know how he managed to forget. When I get a ticket I obcess on it till I get it taken care of. How do you forget something like that? Is there a part in a man's brain that just has an automatic turn-off valve?

He may have just had his mind on you. Good women can muddle up a man's thinking sometimes. ;-)

Lammie":1h3rds5a said:

Us men tend to prioritize things.

The most important thing is always on our mind - other stuff tends to get filed.

I will be no more explicit that that. 8)

Rain here - no hay cutting today.

Bez>

Lammie":3co99wyp said:

The law works slowly, but rarely forgets anything.
I got a ticket out of town and ignored it until they said my license was suspended. Paid the ticket and went to get my license renewed. Clerk said it had never been suspended. So, they lied.

A large part of men's brains is occupied by sex and beer. Leaves very little room for trivia like traffic tickets. I'm looking for a memory upgrade, but no luck so far.

So that's the deal with a man's brain. Beer and someting nekkid...

I heard the tehory that your brain can only hold so much. When it gets full he new stuff puses the old stuff out. But the nekkid, beer, remote and food deal pretty well works too

UUMM-- 'bout the red light cameras--Don't run red lights and you will have no problem.. You also will not have to live with the fact that you killed some kid/gramma/young mother 'cause you didn't want to "waste time sitting at a red light"

peg4x4":1hbn24nn said:
UUMM-- 'bout the red light cameras--Don't run red lights and you will have no problem.. You also will not have to live with the fact that you killed some kid/gramma/young mother 'cause you didn't want to "waste time sitting at a red light"

Some research indicates that red light cameras increase accidents. Drivers slamming on the brakes get rear ended.

Whether that is true or false, red light cameras are a revenue raising device, NOT a safety device.

A contractor comes to your city council and says "We will put up the cameras for free and share the revenue with you." The council sees that this is revenue they really need, and it comes from "violators" who really need to be fined.

The first rule when dealing with the legal system in this country is "Never go into a court room" You may send a lawyer in for you but you yourself should never set foot into the courtroom.

alabama":1k0ldwjl said:
The first rule when dealing with the legal system in this country is "Never go into a court room" You may send a lawyer in for you but you yourself should never set foot into the courtroom.

Is that anything like the old saw, "He who represents himself has a fool for an attorney"?

I think Steve's gonna fight it. I would rather he didn't, but I have learned through much trial and error that it does not pay to butt my head against a brick wall. I have scars to prove it.

Why not":2mmr32fy said:
Get ready for the cameras everywhere.

Security cameras in public places (on the streets and the gathering areas) are more and more common. I have very mixed feelings about them.

Traffic enforcement cameras are my beef here. They really are strictly revenue raisers. The average driver's safety doesn't change .001%.

We don't have these in my area, but we do have "seat belt checks" where every offender gets to throw a $20 in the kitty.

We don't have red light cameras here.
Saw what was left of a full size car of a red light runner, was about a 24" tall. Driver left behind a wife and a couple of kids.

They have been trying to pass a law making it a stopping offense for not wearing your seatbelt. They cannot at this time stop and ticket you,UNLESS, they stop you for an offense.

They put up one of those red light camaras in Spriognfield and jus gave i a 30 days test. Now they;re figuring that it stopped so much of the redlight running that it won;t pay for itself

Latest posts