Speaking of teenagers... dress codes

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny what you get passionate about when you are young.

twistedxranch":1sxd1fa9 said:
Lammie":1sxd1fa9 said:
The school where I work has instituted, beginning next year, a more or less uniform dress code.

Some history: Last year we had issues with the dress code as it was too vague. Everywhere you looked you saw what amounted to boobs, butt cracks and boxers, (the three B's) all over the school along with vile T-shirts and oversized shirts on the boys, I guess trying to hide their boxers. It was disgusting at times and impossible to enforce because unpleasant is in the eye of the beholder.

Last fall we started a different dress code. Boys had to wear collars, no sagging or bagging, no shirt lengths beyond the top of the wrist, girls had to wear shirts cut no lower than two inches from the collar bone. Well, we had pretty good complaince but I still get kids in suspension all the time, mainly for boys in t-shirts and girls showing the boobs.

Starting in the fall, we are going uniform, more or less. Pants have to be belted, shirts tucked, everyone in a collar, khakis of either dark blue or tan. No jeans except on specified days. Shirts have to be either white, blue or gold. No cargo pants. I'm sure that the rules regarding hemlines have changed as well, but we don't get a lot of that around here. Also, our rule from this last fall, and I hate to think that we had to say this, but that underwear has to be worn and must be gender appropriate. We have more cross dressing girls here... It's disgusting.

Needless to say, it is raising a stink in the student body. You'd think we told them that they have to shave their heads, which I am sure some of them would rather do. I have had kids tell me it violates their freedom of expression. I told them that was the point. That if they had expressed themselves within the confines of our liberal dress code, then this would not have been necessary. And if you are in school your rights extend only as far as the school will allow them while they are walking the hallowed halls.

I was wondering what everyone's opinion of the new dress code and if your kids have run into similar issues in high school. I wouldn't mind hearing what the younger generation has to say about it.

I remember when I was in high school about 13 years ago they tried to implement a dress code. So at first lunch every one walked out and stayed outside. So then classes went on and they released for second lunch and everyone walked out again and stayed out. Then last lunch comes along and every one walks out. There were 1500 angry students in the parking lot and the cops were every where. That was the last time that they even ever uttered dress code. At least while I was there. I understand now they do have a dress code and cameras now so the kids wouldnt be able to go into the parking lot undetected.
id lock their spoiled ass's up and take their cell phones away till they complied. theres got too be rule's and regulation, or it'll be just one big circus act

redluv":1t9thxci said:
Lammie- how big is the school?

If you are familiar with the parlance of UIL, we are a 3A school. A small 3A with about 500 students in the HS and about 1700 students in the district.

alacattleman":3se1ntvo said:
FarmGirl10":3se1ntvo said:
My school has a very strict dress code...but not all of the teachers will enforce it. I think its necessary...there is nothing more annoying than seeing your females classmates boobs/butts all day long.
this is where me and you differ :cowboy:
:lol: I think some of the male teachers would agree with you. :secret: (We've had a principal in the past that was fired because some of the girls were complaining about sexual harassment)

Years and years of relaxing the codes and now we are heading the other direction it seems.

There were the times when girls could only wear dresses or skirts. That changed in '73 in Texas? Wasn't it about a year before we got A/C in school? I remember teachers measuring the height above the knee etc. They'd probably get arrested for such measurements these days.

Men had hair codes forever. Then there were hair codes only if you played sports.

FarmGirl10":1jmp7v1m said:
alacattleman":1jmp7v1m said:
FarmGirl10":1jmp7v1m said:
My school has a very strict dress code...but not all of the teachers will enforce it. I think its necessary...there is nothing more annoying than seeing your females classmates boobs/butts all day long.
this is where me and you differ :cowboy:
:lol: I think some of the male teachers would agree with you. :secret: (We've had a principal in the past that was fired because some of the girls were complaining about sexual harassment)
i was really joking... but thats another thing too think about,with teachers weve had it happen here too ...but never with women teacher's when i was young all the teacher were 100 years old :p

backhoeboogie":b85cfxmf said:
Years and years of relaxing the codes and now we are heading the other direction it seems.

There were the times when girls could only wear dresses or skirts. That changed in '73 in Texas? Wasn't it about a year before we got A/C in school? I remember teachers measuring the height above the knee etc. They'd probably get arrested for such measurements these days.

Men had hair codes forever. Then there were hair codes only if you played sports.

Everything happens in cycles. I remember that my sister had to wear dresses to school. You could wear pants if it was a really really cold day. I hardly ever wore dresses and still hardly ever do. I always had ac in school and I started Kindergarten in, gulp, 1970. Half a day for one semester was all we went. It was the first KG class in Granbury. I don't even thing we got our pictures in the yearbook.

alacattleman":18tv7m2s said:
FarmGirl10":18tv7m2s said:
i was really joking... but thats another thing too think about,with teachers weve had it happen here too ...but never with women teacher's when i was young all the teacher were 100 years old :p
It happens a lot around here. Mainly its male coaches screwing a 15-16 yo player. It's even happened with a cop that worked in one of the schools. Heck, I've even seen one of the retired coaches from my school screwing around on his wife with one of his old players. He didn't even seem to care if anyone knew, his wife works in the school and I hate having to talk to her since then.

Lammie":1s4gnwrn said:
backhoeboogie":1s4gnwrn said:

Everything happens in cycles. I remember that my sister had to wear dresses to school. You could wear pants if it was a really really cold day. I hardly ever wore dresses and still hardly ever do. I always had ac in school and I started Kindergarten in, gulp, 1970. Half a day for one semester was all we went. It was the first KG class in Granbury. I don't even thing we got our pictures in the yearbook.
well too turn it around, when i was in school there was two holliness girls that kept bluejeans in their lockers and would change out of the skirts they had too wear at home into the jeans..before class

My kids wore uniforms from K-12 along with everyone else.... Parochial school tho. Don't see why kids in public school can't make the adjustment over time. I know one school principal who would see a kid with his pants down low....he would walk up to him....hook a master lock in one belt loop....pull it over to the next belt loop..hook it as well and lock it.....the kid wore it all day then came to the princiapal's office after school to "turn in his lock". :lol2: No more problem with butt cracks and funky colored underwear showing....Now boobs....what gives??? Nobody could grow those when I was in school and now they're everywhere.

Lammie":11nhspsz said:
Pardon me???? Kids in private schools have been wearing uniforms for generations. That doesn't mean that they are communists. And what about the military? Police? Postal workers? Fire fighters? Sanitation workers?

Yep, all a bunch of commies!

I worry more about people not in uniform telling me what to do...

You are about to step into it.

This was not about whether I think that school dress policies are communist or some plot to overthrow the government or whether it leads to whatever you are thinking.

As usual, Aaron, you have overstepped yourself.

Don't get my thread locked! It started out innocently enough.

Never said anything about professionals, only children.

I suppose I learned from my father who grew up during WWII. In those days, in a public school, parents actually decided, to some extent, what I child wore. If it wasn't appropriate, the child marched right back into the house and changed or he/she could get the strap.

No one ever thought about uniforms for kids. If they did that, they figured they might as well start learning German or Russian and start waving their respective flags.

Parents back then were terrified of their kids in uniform. Make every child conform and you can get the kids to spill the beans on any parents not satisfied with the state. Then the state can go and eliminate those people quietly.

My grandfather was a Canadian citizen, of German and Russian descent. Damn near got thrown into a concentration camp in British Columbia in '42, during his honeymoon.

Nope..Don't trust the state to make decisions on your children, is the motto in our family. Comes crunch time, the state will do and or teach anything they please. :cowboy:

I do not have kids so I will try to voice an impartial opinion.

I think uniforms are a good idea especially now a days with there being such diverse ethnic backgrounds of the students as well as financial. It should make the playing feild more "even" so to speak. Also for the parent that cannot afford the most expensive and trendiest clothes they do not have to worry that their child is getting the crap beat out of them because they do not fit in.. The other side is if you are financially well off you do not have to worry about your kid being stabbed or beaten to death for their 200 dollar sneakers or designer jeans..

Some times kids need rules as they are not mature enough to know boundaries, if the parent cannot esnure that the child is dressed appropriately then the school should step in. After school they can dress like tittle whores in training etc. if they want..When they get to the work place do they really think you can show up for a job interview with your boxers showing, or dressed like a hoe..It is inappropriate unless you are on your own time. You are on tax payers time when you are at school and you should treat education as a privilege even though it is a right..Look around the world ,the kids should be grateful that they have a school to go to and teachers willing to teach them ..

JMHO..

I am not for forcing uniforms on kids in public schools... I think a strict dress code should be inforced. No different than cars on the street... we can choose to drive what we want as long as it meets certain guidlines.

What if the govt said we want every one to drive these govt issued cars because it is getting too hard them to enforce the laws? What would yall say then? :D

I have honestly had mixed feelings about it. If we had enforced the dress code we have then we would not have needed this. And I don't know how I would feel about it if this were my son's school. He isn't in this district because we don't live where I work. I'd go along with it. I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference to him.

I do believe that it is the wave of the future though. You will be seeing more and more of this. Blame it on the fashions. As long as it is fashionable to wear your pants under your butt or to wear a shirt that shows your belly and your boobs, and as long as these "fashions" are being marketed and manufactured to fit younger and younger kids, then we have have the uniform backlash. It is simply too distracting.

Oh for the good old days when the problem children dropped out. We do everything under the sun to prevent that now, including graduating them early even though they aren't any smarter than they were when they were failing.

As a teacher and parent, I can see the benefits of school uniforms, at the school where I work the dress code is fairly relaxed, kids can wear jeans, shorts, flip-flops, untucked shirts, If we can see your underwear, you have to pull your pants up, if they are to big, we get a football or baseball belt and belt you up, if you have a hole in your pants above the knees the principle will take duct tape and have you cover up the hole, its like someone said in another post, you dont really have to worry much about the good kids, its the bad kids that always seem to push the rules. All that being said, if school uniforms mean I have to wear a tie, I am totally against it.

I am of mixed opinions on this. On the one hand, uniforms do bring a little order, a little professionalism, and maybe a better learning environment. On the other hand I don't like the government and think if they want to make parents send the kids to their schools then anything that causes disruptions and chaos the school is probably better for society as a whole in the long run. If I actually had kids, I would almost definitely home school. Comparing kids in school to the post office or the UPS drivers or the police is ridiculous. Those are adults who CHOOSE to accept wearing the uniform as part of getting PAID. The students in a public school are there because if they don't nasty people with guns are going to come get them and they and their parents don't get paid. The govt isn't even paying for the uniforms.....and if teachers quit WHO CARES??? there are plenty more folks looking for jobs.

We never had a dress code (I graduated 2 years ago from high school so it was recent). They are kids, of course the girls are going to be flashy with what they wear. If you have a dress code im sure they will still find a way to make it flashy. At our school I think if you broke the dress code than they had some sweats you could wear. My opinion Lammie is that some dress codes are ridiculous. Someone said at their school they couldnt wear jeans... what were they suppose to wear? I had one pair of slacks and those were for church or other nice events.

I agree though the best way to enforce any school policy is make it get pushed back to the parents. If kids go in dressing like tramps and hoodlums call their parents have them pick them up. If their parents cant pick them up charge the parents for a pair of school authorized sweats and send the child on their way. Im sure if money gets involved parents will get their kids to behave.

I would pull my son out of school it there was a dress code! For one, it would be a fight every morning on why he can't wear his cinch jeans and ariat boots, not to mention...no hat!!! Yikes! I wouldn't want to dress like a tard, why would I expect the kids to?? And BTW I happen to have no prob with boobs and butts. My boobs occasionally show...and...sometimes my crack shows w/ the low rise jeans :shock: Big deal, everybody has a booty and everybody has seen belly and boobs...like on TV. :???:

show time":1ohxn9e8 said:
I would pull my son out of school it there was a dress code! For one, it would be a fight every morning on why he can't wear his cinch jeans and ariat boots, not to mention...no hat!!! Yikes! I wouldn't want to dress like a tard, why would I expect the kids to?? And BTW I happen to have no prob with boobs and butts. My boobs occasionally show...and...sometimes my crack shows w/ the low rise jeans :shock: Big deal, everybody has a booty and everybody has seen belly and boobs...like on TV. :???:

That's half the reason I went to school... the other half was because it was quicker to get the word out about a party at school than call every one. :kid:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts