Speaking of sausage

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I try to eat healthy but with my job I eat too much fatty fast food, so when I'm home I try to cut as much fat as I can.
One thing I really enjoy on the weekends is a good breakfast sandwich, but pork sausage has way too much fat, since that's what I eat most mornings while working.
I've tried several turkey sausages but it tasted like azz. Is there a brand that's better or another low fat sausage ?

Find a breakfast sausage recipe that sounds good to you, then a pork butt that's on sale and trim the fat off of it. Use a food chopper if you don't have a grinder to chop the pork and put it all together, freezing in little patties. That'll cut the fat and you'll have your sausage.

get yourself some moose sausage... My buddy made jalapeno cheddar moose sausage... #$%#$ that was tasty stuff and not much fat

Nesikep said:
get yourself some moose sausage... My buddy made jalapeno cheddar moose sausage... #$%#$ that was tasty stuff and not much fat

I don't think there are moose in Oklahoma.
Maybe buffalo sausage :D

Cross-7 said:
I try to eat healthy but with my job I eat too much fatty fast food, so when I'm home I try to cut as much fat as I can.
One thing I really enjoy on the weekends is a good breakfast sandwich, but pork sausage has way too much fat, since that's what I eat most mornings while working.
I've tried several turkey sausages but it tasted like azz. Is there a brand that's better or another low fat sausage ?
I don't know how you can say that. Most grocery store patty sausage now (Jimmy Dean/Owens/Old Folks et al) has so little fat in it nowadays that it is difficult to cook properly and there isn't enough grease left in the skillet to make gravy with. They definitely ain't using 'the whole hog' any more.

You only have one life. I'm eating what I want when I want, just not as much as I want. I mixed 50 - 50 pork trimmings with 50% venison hams and used a maple breakfast sausage seasoning along with some Everglades seasoning. It turned out to be the best sausage I've ever made.

True Grit Farms said:
You only have one life. I'm eating what I want when I want, just not as much as I want. I mixed 50 - 50 pork trimmings with 50% venison hams and used a maple breakfast sausage seasoning along with some Everglades seasoning. It turned out to be the best sausage I've ever made.

I believe you. Cause I ain't seen a single patty or link :lol2:

JMJ Farms said:
True Grit Farms said:

Well if you ever show up, I have a stick of summer sausage, a pack of breakfast, fresh and smoked sausage links. We're eating it like we stole it but there's still plenty....for now.

True Grit Farms said:
JMJ Farms said:
True Grit Farms said:

Well if you ever show up, I have a stick of summer sausage, a pack of breakfast, fresh and smoked sausage links. We're eating it like we stole it but there's still plenty....for now.

:tiphat: I was just poking the bear. I know you're willing to share. You know you could give it to me and deliver it. I will even take it cooked :hide:

Reminds me of a story. True story. Older feller, who has since passed on, used to do a lot of fishing. But he didn't eat fish. So he would go by and give them to my great uncle. Went on for years. One day my great uncle, just cutting the fool, said "there is something wrong with these fish". Older man said "what?". Uncle said "they've still got the scales on them". Older feller missed the joke and got his panties in a wad and wouldn't bring him anymore for a while. But then the relationship proceeded as before.

greybeard said:
Cross-7 said:
I don't know how you can say that. Most grocery store patty sausage now (Jimmy Dean/Owens/Old Folks et al) has so little fat in it nowadays that it is difficult to cook properly and there isn't enough grease left in the skillet to make gravy with. They definitely ain't using 'the whole hog' any more.
Greybeard...their just isn't a whole lot of fat on a hog anymore. Today's genetics are pretty lean.

Well, that's probably true too Vette but looking at the boston butts and shoulders I see in the meat cases, they could do a little better than what they are doing with the patties..

It's true, Jimmy Dean you have to add oil to the pan to get it to cook right. There's practically no fat in it. Gwaltneys on the other hand, about half price of Jimmy Dean, is also half hog lard and smells like a boar hog when you cook it.

ga.prime said:
It's true, Jimmy Dean you have to add oil to the pan to get it to cook right. There's practically no fat in it. Gwaltneys on the other hand, about half price of Jimmy Dean, is also half hog lard and smells like a boar hog when you cook it.

Strong as chitlins (chitterlings)? :lol2:

Cross-7 said:

I'm sure they're not the healthiest but nothing beats Blue and Gold sausage, a fried egg, and a slice of cheese on an English muffin. You gotta get the good English muffins - the ones from the refrigerated section at the grocery store. You can substitute toast or a biscuit if you prefer, even scramble your egg if you must - the Blue and Gold is the key.

Have you ever thought of considering or buying from your local ffa chapter sale ; you will be buying premium beef pork lamb chIcken rabbit that will help a well deserving high school student that will appreciate your help; it will make you feel better at the end of the sale,we have ours In a couple days and am excited as the kids

Latest posts