Speaking of D-Day..

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
BB-13, USS Texas was there. She is the world's last remaining dreadnaught battleship & will be leaving it's berth in LaPorte Texas (under tow) sometime after hurricane season 2019, probably for a shipyard in Mobile Alabama for extensive repairs. She will return to Texas, but not back to the berth she has been in for 7 decades. Probably going to be berthed at Galveston Island so she can attract more visitors, as where she currently rests is in a somewhat difficult place to get to and doesn't generate enough visitor revenue to pay for upkeep.
I will be sad to see her go.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/30/historic-battleship-to-move-from-its-70-year-old.html

Alabama..take care of the old girl..she walked the walk.

I have visited the USS Texas a couple of times, my sister lives in the area.

I've probably been on Texas 30 times. I grew up within a bicycle ride, and pedaled down to the ferry landing and across many times in the 60s. It's just a 50 mile trip from where I am now.

I love battleships. When I was still in the USN, there were various rumors about bringing one back online, but I knew better. It takes quite a bit of money to operate a battleship. Even the most recently retired one would take millions to get operational. But it was nice to dream.

Latest posts