Spanking

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you believe spanking "for discipline" has it's place in society?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I like spankings!

• Total voters
I never got one I did not deserve and missed some I should have gotten.I also spanked my two when they seemed to need it.I also tried to spend as much time telling them when they did something right asI did when they did something wrong.

I have seen them kids on leashes..............I think this would have more to do with breaking a kids spirit then a spanking.. :(

When my kids mis behave they get to have a talk with Ms. Rosie. She is a part of our family and lives in the utensil drawer. She looks exactly like a 14" wooden spoon and she speaks loudly! Usually pretty effective.

Horticattleman":j242vz3i said:
When my kids mis behave they get to have a talk with Ms. Rosie. She is a part of our family and lives in the utensil drawer. spoon and she speaks loudly!

I heard Rosie had moved down thataway. Is Ellen living in your Closet. I bet with them 2 livin with you discipline is no problem, just be careful Rosie dont get something on your untensils that Palmolive dont wash off. :shock:

I normally use the threat of 1,2,3 whack! Both kids get to moving on 1, but every once in awhile they push it to 3 to see if the butt swat will come or not. I've gotten good at just a look gets them moving.
Daughter was pulling the temper tantrum in the store one day. I walked out of her sight and stood where I could watch her and let her get it out of her system. Was going great til some lady walked up to her asking if she was hurt. I stepped out and said it was a tantrum. She felt bad about causing it to start all over. Luckily the store was almost empty.
They normally get a swat for misbehaving or talking back. Now that my son is older he is much better behaved, daughter still needs work.
His last swat was over a month ago when he got mad about having to put something away and threw it instead. Forgot how fast Mom can move.

Yes a spanking has it's place.

We had 7 children, did my share of spanking. But I have to admit, as I grew older I become mellow. So the younger kids got less spanking. Maybe they learned from watching me punish the older kids. They all turned out the same.

What ever you do, mom and dad have to be on the same page. And you have to set an example. You can't teach them not to lie while you are telling big fat ones.

I believe in spanking but I do agree it really really depends on the child.

My oldest boy, after he got to be about 4, you could speak rationally to him and he would understand. That was usually enough. In 1st grade, he decided it was just too hard for him and he would never read. The kindergarten he came from was behind his first grade school, so he was at a disadvantage from the beginning. The teacher gave us xtra work to catch up. Every evening we worked. Every evening he got where he would say I can't. I can't do it, I can't learn it.

I tried everything I could think of. Finally I told him if he said " I can't " again I would wear his butt out with a belt. He said " I can't" about 2 minutes later. I got the belt and spanked him good. He cried and I cried. Then -- leave it to a kid - he congratulated me on it being the most bestest whoopin he'd ever had ! About 2 days later he started reading. I hated spanking him that evening but I hated the idea of him never being able to read even worse, so it was worth a try and I don't regret it. He scored a 31 in the language, reading comprehensive category of the ACT this past year.

I think that was the last whoopin he ever got. He needs one now at age 19 - a whoopin for being pure lazy - but I'm not big or strong enough to do it anymore.

My 11 year old - different story. The first true phrase out of his mouth was " Never I give up ". He takes hard headed to new unknown levels. Maybe he should have had a spanking every day of his life, but I can't outlast the heathen. So we are down to the consequences of your actions. If you touch the stove it will burn you and it will hurt. I'm telling you it will HURT. OK, put your hand on it hard-head and see what happens. Yeah, it hurts. Guess you won't do that again. When are you going to learn to LISTEN !

Talking to this one rarely works. Actually spanking doesn't work either. He gets the deer in the headlights look and I know it is not the right thing to do. Consequences seem to be the only thing left ?

I think that if you spank the important thing to remember is that you should have a good reason, that you don't purposely humiliate and/or disrespect the child, that the punishment is structured and progressive, and most of all don't spank when you are angry (scared is ok). Thanks for responding.

I luv herfrds":2s53ypnm said:
I normally use the threat of 1,2,3 whack! .

My wife used that. It made me laugh and I never understood it. For me it was like the light was on or off. Give 'em the look and if they don't stop immediately, no need to count.

Edit: Speaking of the wife. She never did do that, "Wait til your Dad gets home" routine - and I appreciated that.

When we were kids, myself and 3 brothers. We never got a spanking without deserving it. My dad got on this kick. All 4 of us would get a spanking ,if one of us messed up. He decided all of us were involved some way. It stopped alot of mess.
If you could talk to my sons. You would think I beat them half to death. NOT ! Maybe I should have. Lets see ,yes they all got a spanking for climbing up the windmill and sliding down the center pipe. My youngest was 3. He got up there and got to scared to slide down. The other 2 were 3 and 5. They were yelling at him to jump. The 2 older ones also locked the youngest in trunk of the car one time. Don't worry he wasn't in there but a minute or two. After,seeing something on TV they decided to take the hair spray and cig. lighter. Just to see what would happen. They only caught half the yard on fire.
I can't remember anything thing else. But I'm sure they did other things.After, they got older they never got a spanking. And no they were not perfect children. They are boys,for gosh sakes.

If I had to put my kid on a leash because I was on crutches, then that would be one thing. I have heard someone say that it was because they were afraid of losing their kid in a store. I guess that one should get credit for attempting to keep up with their kids.

And I know what everyone means by "the look". My younger son can do my "look" pretty well. He's seen it enough!

backhoeboogie":1dfpc7b1 said:
"Wait til your Dad gets home" routine - and I appreciated that.

Even though my mom did her share of spankings.... with whatever she could find...... :eek: , she would often put me in a corner (I think the longest was about 2 hours) until my dad came home. I remember the noises of him coming in while I stood legs aching in the corner, nose against the wall paper. The heavy foot steps, the keys thrown in a dish on an end table,... the anticipation I felt that I might get a fair trial,...then the question.."what's he done". :shock: My mom would give her monologue which alaways seemed completely inaccurate and biased.... :D. Then I would hear those sounds; The jingle of a belt buckle and the distinctive sound of one of those really thin belts being pulled out of the trousers....fast! I just thought the corner was hard..... :lol:

:lol: I'm probably one of the few people who actually asked for a spanking as a kid.

When we got older dad got remarried and we had the stepkid/step mother thing and we ran into some ugly times. As a teenager dad would drag you back in his room and give lectures. He also cross-examined. After a few years of that misery, the cross-examines of trying to find out who did what really got ugly. I thought I should have a choice :D :idea:
I opted for a nice good whipping. Unfortunately, he did not agree that I had a choice. So I got the 1-2 hour cross examination instead. My dad literally was a trial lawyer and frankly a good whipping, even a small beating would have been preferable to his cross - examination.

There are ways that can make people even more miserable than physical punishment, I promise you.

My mother would get a willow switch or flyswatter and swat us when we were really little. No big trauma there. Dad could just look at you and say " shame on you" and melt you into tears with that. He could do the same thing with the dogs - never laid a hand on them and they would do all kinds of things for him, including bringing him his newspaper every morning.

Basically, we were good kids. The step kids lied, cheated, stole , made Fs on their report cards and blamed on anyone but themselves.

One time my real mom, when I was little, ( before the step-kids) told my dad about how I had drawn on the walls with crayon AGAIN and I thought he was going to spank me. I waited around with that sick feeling in my belly, while he went out in the garage. He come out and took me to the garage..... he had hung two big pieces of sheetrock on the walls and just told me if I had the need to be an artist to feel free - just do it in the garage. Whew... that was a relief.

1848":3av789al said:
I think that if you spank the important thing to remember is that you should have a good reason, that you don't purposely humiliate and/or disrespect the child, that the punishment is structured and progressive, and most of all don't spank when you are angry (scared is ok). Thanks for responding.

Good advice.

I was told another thing by a woman who actually didn't believe in spanking. However, her advice was... if you feel like you need to give a spanking it should only be for those times when the child is going to hurt himself or someone else. Then If you decide to do it, make sure it counts so you never have to do it again.

I do believe in a good ol bu$$ spanking. My kids got it when I felt they need it. But now when they dispiline my grandchildren I have to leave the room.

Cal

Spanking is very effective if it is consistant. With my children they got told to behave then if they refused they were spanked. Everytime. Don't threaten and not follow through as children are very intellegent and will know just how to push it to the limit. Set the limit and hold it no matter what. In a short time spanking is no longer needed. I haven't spanked my children in years. No need to now. When I verbally correct them they straighten up immediatley because they truly believe that I will spank them.

1848":2nqjbxf9 said:
backhoeboogie":2nqjbxf9 said:
"Wait til your Dad gets home" routine - and I appreciated that.

Even though my mom did her share of spankings.... with whatever she could find...... :eek: , she would often put me in a corner (I think the longest was about 2 hours) until my dad came home. I remember the noises of him coming in while I stood legs aching in the corner, nose against the wall paper. The heavy foot steps, the keys thrown in a dish on an end table,... the anticipation I felt that I might get a fair trial,...then the question.."what's he done". :shock: My mom would give her monologue which alaways seemed completely inaccurate and biased.... :D. Then I would hear those sounds; The jingle of a belt buckle and the distinctive sound of one of those really thin belts being pulled out of the trousers....fast! I just thought the corner was hard..... :lol:

I can count on one hand how many times I was spanked as a child. And, I did spank my daughter. But reading this makes my skin crawl...and makes me wonder about the wisdom of spanking.

Alice

Spanking did no good whatsoever on me.

My folks had to resort to BEATING!

Or so they say................................... :lol: