Spanking

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you believe spanking "for discipline" has it's place in society?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I like spankings!

• Total voters

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal. I was reading a recent "topick"...... :D .....and one of the post started generating thoughts of the famous Quote: "Four score and seven years ago, our forefathers....." While that quote was resounding in the back of my head, I also heard that music which is played at graduation time..... ;-)

That's when I realized some people just never got a good ass whooping when they were young (cause they deserved it).... :shock: :lol: So, how many of you are (or were) from a generation or a lifestyle that understood a spanking had it's purpose! Other then.......well you know... :p

For those of you that understand where I am coming from do you think as an adult, that it is easy to pick out the type of individual personalities that may have never experienced this unfortunate but necessary type of discipline?

Here is some food for thought. A two year child old cannot comprehend or understand concepts which are likely to endanger the child or cause it harm. So to prevent the child from performing a certain act you must associate with pain (which a child can comprehend) until are old enough to understand.

In simple terms this means to keep a child from grabbing a hot pan off the stove when he reaches for it, you say "no" very strongly and spank the child so it has a mental reminder that the thought and action had consequences. When the child is old enough to understand why, or it gets burned from trying, then the spanking will no longer be necessary.....and so the lesson is learned. ;-)

I felt "another" poll would be appropriate here............ :D

Per your example, I'm a no. A child should not be able to grap a pan on a hot stove. The parent (adult) should be sure the handles are turned the other way.

I'm not against spanking a child if they misbehave, but not to "protect" them from something that should not be an issue. I knew a lady once who would take her 2-3 year old up to the side of the street and tell her "if you run out in the street a car will hit you and we'll put you in a dark box and put you down in a hole and you'll never see me or your daddy again." I always felt that if she'd simply be sure she had the kid's hand and talk to her when they came near the street, it would be easier on both of them.

I was spanked on occasion. Sometimes my Daddy would send me to the woods to get a switch for my own spanking. I'd cry all the way there and back. He might look at the stick and say that's too small and send me back, bawling and squalling. Usually by the time I got back with the second stick, he'd ask if I'd learned my lesson and a blow was never stuck. :) I spanked my kids occasionally, but think patience and consistency work as well.

I use the corner and spank fairly regularly. I use the corner first then move to the spanking (its more of a swat). I believe people would be better parents if they read a horse or dog training book. My kids behave and i rule with far from an iron fist. Its about reinforcing.

Whether you like it or not we are animals through and through.
Society as a whole believes you must give pain to teach a lesson.
This to all persons committing a crime even speeding.

A monetary fine is a form of pain ,locking up in Jail is also. A blind eye is turned to jailers belting prisoners everywhere ,likewise same sex rape in prisons.

Use the stick and save your children from having to adjust to a painful result when they become adults

"Spare the rod ,spoil the child"

I believe in spankings and have whacked my sons on more than one occasion. I stopped doing it when other kinds of punishment worked better; ie, when they started to understand the consequences of their actions and words worked better.

I also used it as an exclamation point. Example: "I said stay out of the
street!" (hand on butt on the word "street") One smack.

That was mainly what I used it for.

I have not had to do that since they were four or five.

I do agree that there are an awful lot of kids around here that didn't get their fair share of a$$ whoopins as kids and might be the better for it now.

I do believe that the old saw about "Spare the rod and spoil the child" has more to do with leadership, example and discipline than with violence. What does a shepherd do with is rod? Beat the sheep or use it to gently guide them where he wants them to go?

Anyway, yes, whoopin works but there's a difference between whooopin and beating, and lots of times words work better. But when you need it, use it.

Quoting Frankie:

Per my example? :roll: You cannot, or will not ever be able to prevent or protect your children from harm no matter how hard you try. Parents and other siblings are not perfect and all seeing. That is how species learn.....some just have better instincts then others. Maybe you need other examples. It's not always......."black".....and white. :D

What if that child you talked about was to run for the street when you turned your gaze or became distracted. Do you let it run out and learn it's lesson? Or do you run it down and spank it so it associates that decision as a bad behavior or act? That is protecting your child...harsh as it may seem. In your own words, "It should not be an issue", but it inevitably will be. What if the child reached for the flame or red coloring on the burner of the stove.....the pot is not an issue now, are you going to put a child gate on the kitchen?

Children are like horses..they will find a way to hurt themselves. You can try to child proof your home and stay vigilant on the watch, but they will find a way. I can chase them all day with my hands behind them ready to wisk them away "in case they fall or place themselves in harms way", or I can reenforce the "dont's" which could get them hurt and get on with it. Counseling is not an option...... :lol:

When mine were toddlers they would very rarely get a swat on the behind. I put alot of thought into discipline. My kids were and still are excellent kids. We could take them to a restaurant at a very young age and they sat there quietly and did what they were supposed to do. People would tell us often what good kids we have. Anyway, I believe in respecting a child and in turn think I get a lot of respect back. I got whoopings as a child into teenage years and decided that I was not going to do that. I understand that my dad grew up that way and in turn that is all he knew. There are however better ways. Mine got time in the corner(not long) and talked to. They hated it.

There were times where one of the kids would wake up on the wrong side of bed and instead of discipline I would take them and give them attention. Rocking while reading a story, a big hug, that sort of thing. It worked.

I really think the type of discipline depends on the kid. I would certainly try other things before spanking. There is a part in the Bible that talks about not breaking a kids spirit.

ROCKSPRINGS":16w1usmi said:
I see alot of kids that need a shock collar and thier parents need to be castrated. :eek:

........why does it just have to be "castrated" :lol: :lol:

How about.."fixed" ;-)

1848":wvgsz5i8 said:
Quoting Frankie:

Per my example? :roll: You cannot, or will not ever be able to prevent or protect your children from harm no matter how hard you try. Parents and other siblings are not perfect and all seeing. That is how species learn.....some just have better instincts then others. Maybe you need other examples. It's not always......."black".....and white. :D

Of course, I can't protect my child from everything. But simply taking time to turn the handles of the pots will keep a kid from scalding themselves in your example and save me and him the stress of a spanking.

What if that child you talked about was to run for the street when you turned your gaze or became distracted. Do you let it run out and learn it's lesson? Or do you run it down and spank it so it associates that decision as a bad behavior or act? That is protecting your child...harsh as it may seem. In your own words, "It should not be an issue", but it inevitably will be. What if the child reached for the flame or red coloring on the burner of the stove.....the pot is not an issue now, are you going to put a child gate on the kitchen?

Well, maybe I'm just wierd. But I think it's the parent's responsibility to be sure they don't turn their gaze or become distracted when coming up on the street with their small child. That's their responsibilty in life. Once upon a time we lived on a street at the bottom of a hill. The playground was across the street. It wasn't an especially busy street except for going to and coming home traffic. It didn't take much to teach my child to stop and look both ways before he crossed the street. I didn't have to spank him; I didn't have to follow him around; he was three years old.

Children are like horses..they will find a way to hurt themselves. You can try to child proof your home and stay vigilant on the watch, but they will find a way. I can chase them all day with my hands behind them ready to wisk them away "in case they fall or place themselves in harms way", or I can reenforce the "dont's" which could get them hurt and get on with it. Counseling is not an option...... :lol:

I agree that animals and kids are very similar. Clear rules and constant re-inforcent have worked well for us with both though spankings are required occasionally.

Gate Opener":ux9tmaew said:
I really think the type of discipline depends on the kid. I would certainly try other things before spanking. There is a part in the Bible that talks about not breaking a kids spirit.

You right gate opener in that other options should be explored first if possible.

As far as the breaking their spirit.....I think most parents can see when their children have learned enough..... ;-)

Of course a little swat on a good philly (horse) can get some spirit going!

I was like you in that I recieved my full share and my siblings share...I got to take my sisters spankings. Times have a way of healing though. I believe my GrandFather was outright mean, my Dad seemed hot tempered and very stern, and I can still "simmer".... :) I still believe a necessary spanking can serve a good purpose.

ROCKSPRINGS":ygswmb0u said:
1848":ygswmb0u said:
ROCKSPRINGS":ygswmb0u said:
I see alot of kids that need a shock collar and thier parents need to be castrated. :eek:

........why does it just have to be "castrated" :lol: :lol:

How about.."fixed" ;-)

Thats what I ment :lol:

I know.....it just made me readjust in my seat...... while I pondered the same sex marriges scenario..... :lol: :lol:

Frankie":r25j563z said:
1848":r25j563z said:
Quoting Frankie:

Ok,

Forget the pot handles............let it rest......... :roll:

Get real on the "never turn your gaze"........ :shock:

and

Your kid is special!....... ;-) :D (good instincts)

Halalueah........we agree on something!

.......that kids are simular to animals....and an occasional spanking is necessary.... :lol: :lol:

So,...did you answer you like them.......... :shock: :oops: :D

Ever see a kid on a leash? I have only had that pleasure twice in my life. Once in the mall and again in a children's dentist. You have to wonder what that kid is thinking.

And what goes through a parent's mind when she decides to use a leash? On her kid? He!!, I can't get my dogs to use a leash.

And yes, Rocksprings, I have long thought that a shock collar would do some kids some good. They are all in high school, and I don't believe their parents spanked them enough...
Vicious circle.

My sons have always had good behavior in public and I have long thought it was because they knew what would happen to them if they misbehaved. You can ask them today and they will both tell you. "Well, shoot, if I acted like that in a store, my mom would have smacked the crap outa me."

I think I honestly only spanked each of them twice in public. The last times for them both was the last time I ever spanked either one of them again. I just saw that look on their faces and I knew it was time to move along to another form of punishment.

I'm in the one-swat club. Real effective for getting them to stop (if they chose to ignore other opportunities/hints). Didn't have to do it very often. Probably less than a dozen times per child.

I did have to put my youngest on a leash :oops:
She was two and our milk cow stomped down where my foot was, breaking it in the middle. Youngest daughter never walked anywhere if there was room to run, and I couldn't keep up on crutches. So, when we went to town... You should've seen the dirty looks I got even while sporting a red cast!
She now tries blackmail for therapy $$$. LOL

My girls were about 12 and 14 years old and we were in the store. There was a little boy about three years old whailing at the top of his lungs. He was screaming bloody murder. The whole store could hear him. His mom had him by the arm and was litterally dragging him down the aisles. He wanted a toy and she wouldn't let him have it. I turned to my daughter's and said, "If one of my grandchildren ever acted like that, I'd buy the toy and just reinforce that bad habit. If you don't want me doing that to your children, you'd best teach them better." It sunk in. That's been well over ten years ago.

I spanked mine when they were young. They didn't need it when they got to be about 4 years old. They knew THAT LOOK.

I think that in the publics eye it is the worst possible thing that you could do to a child (spanking), along with teaching them how to behave properly. If you say something wrong when out in public chances are children services will be called on you and alot of parents are afraid of that and that is why children isn't being taughtor corrected. Look at the kids today, they do not even show respect to their parents let alone others. I do believe in a good ole whipping when it is called for. My mom who is a juv. probation officer sees it every day how most of the kids brought in (most by the parents themselves) and complain that they can't handle them and want her to do something about them. When asked what kind of displine they are using, they just have the dumbest look on their faces. Thank goodness, my mom is enough to scare most of these kids straight!! She scares me and I am an adult with two children of my own!! And believe me, she will tell you that you need to give them a swat on the butt if they need it.
Thanks for letting me vent a small bit!!

but remember:
There is a BIG difference between a whipping and a beating.

I like to go with my motto:
My kids get one everyday rather they need it or not!!

(joking) they do get it when it really counts!

;-)

Lammie":x493xk9v said:
I believe in spankings and have whacked my sons on more than one occasion. I stopped doing it when other kinds of punishment worked better; ie, when they started to understand the consequences of their actions and words worked better.

I also used it as an exclamation point. Example: "I said stay out of the
street!" (hand on butt on the word "street") One smack.

That was mainly what I used it for.

I have not had to do that since they were four or five.

I do agree that there are an awful lot of kids around here that didn't get their fair share of a$$ whoopins as kids and might be the better for it now.

I do believe that the old saw about "Spare the rod and spoil the child" has more to do with leadership, example and discipline than with violence. What does a shepherd do with is rod? Beat the sheep or use it to gently guide them where he wants them to go?

Anyway, yes, whoopin works but there's a difference between whooopin and beating, and lots of times words work better. But when you need it, use it.

I was whipped once. Never needed a second time.

Once, when my daughter (about 10 at the time) was refusing to obey my directive to shower I swatted her butt. Not hard, but my meaning was clear. We haven't had a discipline problem since and she seems fairly well adjusted.

Physical force has a place, but first you have to be paying attention to the kid, not trying to live life like you were still the kid yourself. Parenting is the realization that now YOU are in charge of how things go.

98% of our problems could be solved if when a Kid is misbehavin' he/she were switched or spanked. As long as Oprah, Dr. Fill, and a host of others are giving advice, not a dang thing will ever change. Attitude adjustments need to take place at a young age, to let the Kid know who's boss.

Rock Springs is right about the Castrating. Some folks should just not be allowed to Reproduce.