Spanish cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Just got back from a two week holiday in Spain and Portugal. It was a work/recreation trip and not cattle related. This was the closest I got to cattle in spain:

Every bar and restaurant has a bull's head mounted somewhere:

IMG_2284.jpg

The wife and I in a restaurant in Madrid:

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

The Bull breeding is an interesting business over their. Their trait selection and breeding objectives are a little different to most of us on these boards. They select for aggression, strength, stamina, athleticism, and a moderate amount of intelligence. Too much intelligence is dangerous apparently.

We did see quite a few cattle in Portugal. I don't know what breed they were. They were all very similar. A creamy to brown coloured cow with horns that looked like a dual purpose breed. maybe some of you European guys might know what they were:

IMG_2114.jpg

Most of the bulls I saw were limos like this one:
IMG_2115.jpg

Andrew

Regretting this thread yet?????????????? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Thanks for the pics. That little Limo bull looks like he has the right horns to be a top notch proctologist.

Angus Cowman":1t5k7fwg said:
plumber_greg":1t5k7fwg said:
Ugly cattle, I want to see more pictures of your wife. gs
Greg she must be blind did you see that ugly guy sitting beside her :lol:

AC, it looks like she has an salve for that....notice the two beers setting in front of her. :D

Ah hope you had a fantastic time in Spain. If I couldn't live in Australia, Spain would be where I would live. I posted a picture way back of a steer from Spain; as with the bulls it was selection for horns and aggression.

Very jealous, I hope to get back to Spain sooner rather than later.

I would guess mertolenga or alenteijana. On the picture there are obvious charolais crossbreds too. The range cows in portugal have a really long productive life, and as much as 70 percent of their offspring is terminal from limousin, charolais, blonde and such. Limousin cattle in portugal generally show great quality according to my portugese aquaintences.

Angus Cowman wrote:
plumber_greg wrote:

AC, it looks like she has an salve for that....notice the two beers setting in front of her.
Angus Cowman":1t8admqm said:
plumber_greg":1t8admqm said:

AC, it looks like she has an salve for that....notice the two beers setting in front of her. :D

The beer goggles definately help to prevent her realizing she could have done a lot better :D

aussie_cowgirl":1t8admqm said:
Ah hope you had a fantastic time in Spain. If I couldn't live in Australia, Spain would be where I would live. I posted a picture way back of a steer from Spain; as with the bulls it was selection for horns and aggression.

Very jealous, I hope to get back to Spain sooner rather than later.

Spain was wonderful and yes we had a great time. Lots of good food, friendly people and siestas every day.

ANAZAZI":1t8admqm said:
I would guess mertolenga or alenteijana. On the picture there are obvious charolais crossbreds too. The range cows in portugal have a really long productive life, and as much as 70 percent of their offspring is terminal from limousin, charolais, blonde and such. Limousin cattle in portugal generally show great quality according to my portugese aquaintences.

Are the mertolenga and alenteijana cattle native to portugal?

Andrew

ANAZAZI":1hibxzbd said:
i guess that one, musta slipped by him :p

ALACOWMAN":3chod2o6 said:
ANAZAZI":3chod2o6 said:
i guess that one, musta slipped by him :p

Said generally.

Andrew, just wondered, do you have any pic of Spanish cattle on a beach, with your wife beside them? Not letting it go. Don't know how to do smilies. gs

townfarmer":vnebc5g4 said:
ANAZAZI":vnebc5g4 said:

Are the mertolenga and alenteijana cattle native to portugal?

Andrew

Yes they are, and there is a breed in spain too, with the same caracteristics, can not remember its name right now. Basically these breeds are easy going, low input cows that are red, yellow or brown in colour.

There are fighting bulls in portugal too. The sort the young bulls at age two or three, the least agressive go to slaughter, medium agressive to bullfights, and really bad goes to breeding cows!"

Latest posts