Soy hulls

Help Support CattleToday:

AllForage

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience feeding straight soy hull pellets to growing bulls and/or heifers? Looking for a moderate growth supplement to pasture or hay. I like the idea of it not messing with forage digestion from what I read.

Think they should be mixed with something else? If so what? Would like one ration for both classes.

Thanks. Ryan

We fed them a few years ago. Cattle did well. One common theme is one or two head will eat so quickly that they gag. Soy hulls are very dry.
Later we switched to a soy hull/peanut/corn gluten mix for almost the same cost. Now we feed brewers grain.
Soy hulls are easy to feed and relatively inexpensive.

I have quite a lot of experience feeding soyhull pellets. I avoid using meal. We are located near two soybean processing terminals, so availability is good. However, the price for the hulls has gone up like everything else. Looks like I will be paying from $120 to $140 per ton this fall. We raise corn here, so I like feeding byproducts that work well with corn. I like to feed the hulls in equal proportion to ground corn. It appears to have a neutralizing effect with the starches in the corn. I increase the daily ration by about .5 pound every two to three weeks after the calves have become accustomed to converting from grass to grain and hay diet. I have fed up to eight pounds per head per day to yearling calves. However, I at that growth stage I am feeding about ten pounds ground corn to the steers and bulls. I never feed more than 5 1/2 pounds to heifers.

Hey thanks for the responses!

Just chatted with a local nutritionist, soy hulls are $215 a ton up here. With my hay test results he recommended a few pounds of straight corn.

TennesseeTuxedo":z8w17ryb said:
AllForage":z8w17ryb said:

Just chatted with a local nutritionist, soy hulls are $215 a ton up here. With my hay test results he recommended a few pounds of straight corn.

I didn't think you fed corn?

Not to my grassfed animals for customers, but I am growing out bulls now as seedstock. Making the switch very slowly. Last winter was tough on young stock even with good hay.

AllForage":1lms7ulm said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1lms7ulm said:
AllForage":1lms7ulm said:

I didn't think you fed corn?

Not to my grassfed animals for customers, but I am growing out bulls now as seedstock. Making the switch very slowly. Last winter was tough on young stock even with good hay.

Gotcha

Last winter I fed a triple mix of roasted soybeans, crushed corn, and rice bran when we had snow on the ground. Very positive results for the short time I used it.

JWBrahman":1ohiqrs9 said:
Last winter I fed a triple mix of roasted soybeans, crushed corn, and rice bran when we had snow on the ground. Very positive results for the short time I used it.

Roasted soybeans? Are those soybeans with the oil cooked out of them? If so, you were essentially feeding soybean meal. Better check prices on those in your area. And I would leave the rice bran out of your cattle rations. I know it is readily available in the south, but it is detrimental to the digestion tract of cattle.

NWMoAngus":3j1846ig said:
JWBrahman":3j1846ig said:

Roasted soybeans? Are those soybeans with the oil cooked out of them? If so, you were essentially feeding soybean meal. Better check prices on those in your area. And I would leave the rice bran out of your cattle rations. I know it is readily available in the south, but it is detrimental to the digestion tract of cattle.
Roasted soybeans are not crushed and processed like those used for bean meal. Simply flaked (like corn) and roasted. Still contains the oil. BTW rice bran is actually one of the better ingredients used in cattle feed. Good protein, fat and fiber and no starches. Excellent product but not designed to be fed as the entire ration. These are all "ingredients" to be used in a TMR.

Have fed whole soybeans before, but not more that one pound per head and only to mature cattle. Regarding rice byproduct feeds. Your info is the exact opposite of mine. For years truckers hauled corn south from southwestern Iowa and northern Missouri to poultry and dairy farms in Arkansas. They would back-haul chicken litter or rice hulls up to notoriously cheap quality livestock feed manufacturers in the midwest. Those manufacturers do exist. Feed customers long ago caught on to the euphemisms used on feed labels to describe these undesirable feed ingredients. I would never feed rice hulls or rice bran to my cattle.

NWMoAngus":11lhl491 said:
Have fed whole soybeans before, but not more that one pound per head and only to mature cattle. Regarding rice byproduct feeds. Your info is the exact opposite of mine. For years truckers hauled corn south from southwestern Iowa and northern Missouri to poultry and dairy farms in Arkansas. They would back-haul chicken litter or rice hulls up to notoriously cheap quality livestock feed manufacturers in the midwest. Those manufacturers do exist. Feed customers long ago caught on to the euphemisms used on feed labels to describe these undesirable feed ingredients. I would never feed rice hulls or rice bran to my cattle.
Rice hulls and rice bran are two totally different ingredients. Rice hulls have very little nutritional value and very undigestible. Rice bran is 12% crude protein, 12% crude fat and 12% crude fiber with a very high TDN. Read the labels carefully and spent a little time on ruminant nutrition. Don't be fooled by a product called "Rice Mill Feed" as this is simply a mix of rice hulls and rice bran....pure junk.

polledbull":5xol2lbx said:
I am buying the Cargill 14% commidity pellet medicated with gainpro $170 per ton, I dont know why hulls are still so high ,
Soyhulls went up back during the drought of 2011 and haven't come down much since in this area. Anything with high fiber went through the roof. $170 sounds outrageously cheap. Gotta have a lot of filler in it, but the Gainpro will make up for some of it.

TexasBred":1cogs944 said:
polledbull":1cogs944 said:
I am buying the Cargill 14% commidity pellet medicated with gainpro $170 per ton, I dont know why hulls are still so high ,
Soyhulls went up back during the drought of 2011 and haven't come down much since in this area. Anything with high fiber went through the roof. $170 sounds outrageously cheap. Gotta have a lot of filler in it, but the Gainpro will make up for some of it.

Why were soyhulls so high? $8 corn and $15 soybeans are the answer. All feeds are based off of the corn price. Hulls will be coming down this fall after harvest starts. Big crop = low commodity prices = lower grain by-product prices. Today in the KC area corn is in the $3.25 range and soybeans are at $9.50. So bulk feed prices should be down, as well. It should also be a good in-the-black year for feeders. When possible/when numbers of feeders allow, you should be buying bulk commodity feeds and blending your own feeds. Buying commodity pellets puts money into the pockets of the feed manufacturer and the broker.

I buy the pellet and use it s a base for my ration that I make , I also add oats and cracked corn , along with some hay, I have always made my cow feed from different sources and by products, the 14% is a commidity blend pellet , not a complete feed pellet.

NWMoAngus":pd98ol12 said:
TexasBred":pd98ol12 said:
polledbull":pd98ol12 said:

Why were soyhulls so high? $8 corn and $15 soybeans are the answer. All feeds are based off of the corn price. Hulls will be coming down this fall after harvest starts. Big crop = low commodity prices = lower grain by-product prices. Today in the KC area corn is in the $3.25 range and soybeans are at $9.50. So bulk feed prices should be down, as well. It should also be a good in-the-black year for feeders. When possible/when numbers of feeders allow, you should be buying bulk commodity feeds and blending your own feeds. Buying commodity pellets puts money into the pockets of the feed manufacturer and the broker.
Corn has nothing to do with the price of soyhulls or soybean meal. Actually the price of soy oil determines the price of soybean meal and all other protein products price off of bean meal. As long as bean meal is high all others can remain high regardless of an over supply. Corn affects little except corn based products. Corn too high, companies simply formulate away from it and use by-products. Some feeds like the "commodity pellet" mentioned may not contain any grain at all, or just enough to list grain as an ingredient. $170 a ton feed you're looking at a lot of wheat midds and rice hulls with just enough plant protein to get the crude protein guarantee up to 14%.

Latest posts