feeding corn, dried distillers and pelleted soy bean hulls

Help Support CattleToday:

simcross

Reaction score
How well do you think these three ingredients mix up. When I feed I gravity flow into 5 gallon buckets sometime their is lots of pellets, then mostly DG or cracked corn

simcross said:
How well do you think these three ingredients mix up. When I feed I gravity flow into 5 gallon buckets sometime their is lots of pellets, then mostly DG or cracked corn

Are you mixing this yourself or buying already mixed?? Inconsistencies in the blend will keep a cow's rumen ph constantly going up and down. Personally, I'd probably change feeds or feed companies.

simcross said:

Thought I commented on this a long time ago. Guess I didn't hit submit. I feed a triple third mix pretty regular. Mine is usually mixed pretty thoroughly. I would think it would lead to all sorts of issues if its not. Especially if you went from pellets for a few days, then bam DDG.

Bigfoot said:
simcross said:

Thought I commented on this a long time ago. Guess I didn't hit submit. I feed a triple third mix pretty regular. Mine is usually mixed pretty thoroughly. I would think it would lead to all sorts of issues if its not. Especially if you went from pellets for a few days, then bam DDG.

Agreed! I'd take that advise, and mix in some of TB's, and either tell your feed supplier to mix it better, or find another supplier. You can buy a whole lot of headaches if your feed isn't consistent. been there...

If you're mixing it yourself, blend the corn and pellets together first in the mixer, then add the the ddgs. I have found you can also add 10 gallons of water per ton, or 45 pounds of molasses per ton to help them blend better.
Be sure to mix equal amount of time per addition.

I do not have a proper mixer but was feeding many different feeds at once a while ago, I gave up trying to mix, and just fed them the parts at different times in measured amounts, had no drama like that but labour intensive.

I now have a pellet with various ingredients, and the other is ad lib in half ton lots that I put out.

Latest posts