Southern Charm

Help Support CattleToday:

LJCB

Reaction score
Anyone used him? wondering what his birth weights have been? His BW has gone up since January when I bought semen.

Yeah I've been watching the updates on the new numbers and wondering how it's going to affect some of these bulls going forward

We used him heavily but do not have those calves on the ground yet. We flushed to him last year and used those embryos up this spring. Looks like we've had roughly 15 of those stick. It'll be interesting to see what our middle of the road donor (show quality) does with him vs our extreme numbered gal.

We do have a bred heifer of his that we really like. We also had a heifer calf born but I am not singing it's praises yet. It is so difficult to judge her, since she calved later than most of our others. If I compared her to a similar calving age... our Treasure heifer has blown her out of the water. Both in growth and eye appeal.

We also bred him to our commercials this year, for his marbling.

hornedfrogbbq said:
Where is $M defined?

$M – Maternal Weaned Calf Value will include nine traits with a greater emphasis on maternal traits than any of the tools currently available. Traits in the $M value will include calving ease direct and maternal, weaning weight, milk, mature weight, heifer pregnancy, docility and foot score – both claw set and foot angle EPDs. This transition will help producers to better define efficiency in a commercial cow-calf environment.

They did post the webinar on the association site. I listened to it again last night and took some screenshots off of it so I can assist our customers with understanding the changes. It is long and a lot of it is just empty talk... I kinda wish they had been more scripted or had put together a tutorial thru powerpoint.

I hate to be an idiot but I still can't find it on their website. Can you kindly provide a link? I know, I know, you can't fix stupid. But I try hard!

True Grit Farms said:
Sounds like the AAA operates the same way as a politician.

Every change, they're "justifying" the reason in a long winded debate without the debator. But there has been quite the controversy over these changes.

There are going to be a lot of operations hurt by these changes. For ourselves personally, we're going to benefit greatly in terms of numbers. These changes (as a whole) are to benefit more of Wean to Rail. We've been breeding for that commercially in our AI program. Maternally, I expect to see it favor us as well on our PB side but this is where I am a bit curious. I'd like to THINK that is where we've taken our girls in our program but will the numbers reflect that as greatly?

I am also interested in how this will change the sire reports. I'd be interested in what we as cattlemen view as female makers, against the $M value.

LJCB said:
Anyone used him? wondering what his birth weights have been? His BW has gone up since January when I bought semen.

I've got a calf on the way from him out of a Hoover Dam daughter.

I would be paying far more attention to his carcass numbers, than focusing on birthweight. This sire could be changing a lot in the beef industry very soon. In a good way at that.

NEFarmwife said:
hornedfrogbbq said:
Where is $M defined?

$M – Maternal Weaned Calf Value will include nine traits with a greater emphasis on maternal traits than any of the tools currently available. Traits in the $M value will include calving ease direct and maternal, weaning weight, milk, mature weight, heifer pregnancy, docility and foot score – both claw set and foot angle EPDs. This transition will help producers to better define efficiency in a commercial cow-calf environment.

They did post the webinar on the association site. I listened to it again last night and took some screenshots off of it so I can assist our customers with understanding the changes. It is long and a lot of it is just empty talk... I kinda wish they had been more scripted or had put together a tutorial thru powerpoint.

On the Angus show (cant remember the name) on RFD, they had about a 10 minute talk going over the changes. Much better than 2 hours of propaganda.

I am calling BS on the new maternal index. Too many variable environments to have a one size fits everyone index. I like maternal cattle more than most and in cattle production sometimes less is more.

W.B. said:
I am calling BS on the new maternal index. Too many variable environments to have a one size fits everyone index. I like maternal cattle more than most and in cattle production sometimes less is more.

It'll be interesting. I think it'll be awhile, despite the data we have... before it can be a true test to it's own value.

Well the new update is out I'm guessing his foot scores hurt his $M. Internet is being pretty slow but he doesn't have any progeny recorded scores my guess is neither does his sire or dam. Still using him on Tuesday regardless of the numbers.

LJCB said:
Well the new update is out I'm guessing his foot scores hurt his $M. Internet is being pretty slow but he doesn't have any progeny recorded scores my guess is neither does his sire or dam. Still using him on Tuesday regardless of the numbers.

Yes, interesting since foot quality was in question in another discussion. Everyone was concerned about why he had a foot of bedding in his photos.

Well... yikes. Hopefully the two donors I flushed him to, will throw their feet.