South Aussie Shorthorn Female Sales October 2006

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Broughton Park Ruby Anniversary Elite Genetic Sale- October 26th

42 cows & calves sold to $8000(this years's Adelaide Show Senior & Grand Champion female), averaging $3482.

12 open & mated heifers averaged $2271.

1 aged sire (Futurity Wallaby, 5yrs) sold at $5500.

All up, 57 lots averaged $3246.

A very good sale indeed supported by vendors from across the country, several volume buyers.

Bundaleer Invitation Shorthorn Female Sale, incorporating Belmore and Bayview- October 27th

Bundaleer lots 1-24, 22 sold 1 passed, avg. $1977

Bayview lots 25-42, 13 sold 3 passed, avg. $1770

Belmore lots 43-47, 5 sold, avg. $1100

Bundaleer lots 49-63, 14 sold, avg. $1675

Bayview lots 65A-80, 8 sold 7 passed, avg. $1219

Belmore lots 81-86, 6 sold, avg. $1875

Top price of $7000 for a lovely 15month Bundaleer show heifer.

All up 82 lots averaged $1602

Not the high prices of the day before but a solid sale all the same, given the seasonal conditions.

Everyone was pretty happy with their results. More than they would get at the saleyards at present so couldn't really complain. Of course there was more support for the first being an Anniversary sale and the vendor being national president. Broughton park also offered their entire 'z' drop of heifers, there were certainly some elite genetics and very good cattle, at both sales.

Thanks for the sale update Killala. I was at the broughton park sale thought that considering the season it went very well. I bought 1 cow and calf unit! Did you buy anything? I didn't recognise you at the sale by the photo you posted! Unfortunatley I was unable to make it to the Friday sale at Bundaleer and was wondering how the 12 heifers you had on offer went? :cboy:

mulga":1ai5n7gt said:
Thanks for the sale update Killala. I was at the broughton park sale thought that considering the season it went very well. I bought 1 cow and calf unit! Did you buy anything? I didn't recognise you at the sale by the photo you posted! Unfortunatley I was unable to make it to the Friday sale at Bundaleer and was wondering how the 12 heifers you had on offer went? :cboy:

oh were you? i didn't realise you were aussie (should have by the name tho, actually i did have suspicions!) Which lot did you buy? I bought lot 62 at Broughton Park, BP Rose S74 with heifer calf at foot by Ironman. Had my eye on a couple other lots but my budget didn't go as far as their bidding did.
Bought a PTIC heifer (from my boss) on Friday, lot 84, B Rosette z82. We were lucky in that we sold all 11 heifers (withdrew one as she wasn't far enough in calf to guarantee).
All things considered I think both sales were a success. Wednesday night we were all chatting and everyone was nervous... I think a lot of people picked up on Glen's mood when he opened the sale Thursday, we really had no idea how either would go. Overall it was a very good clearance rate. the Bayview cows that didn't sell weren't a surprise, IMO.

We bought Lot number 3A BP Golden Drop W077 with red bull calf by BP Goldmine B011. Thought she was a good cow with excellent figures but mainly purchased her for the calf to be one of our sires for next year as he is a good solid calf with good structue and good bloodlines.

Yes there were plenty of people chasing bull calves as future sires. I personally would have taken 3B... but I found in the choice lots people were taking the ones I wouldn't have! I loved lot 2A!
So what do you plan using the bull over? You're obviously not worried about the high birthweights in that family! The fat EBVs were a bit of a turn off for me there too. But he had quite good indexes if I remember correctly... fairly high in the SB3 I think.

Thanks for the reply Killala. We breed our own bulls for the station from our own shorthorn cows. We are always looking for new blood lines. Turning them over as quickly as possible. We have had good results with BP bloodlines. Birth weights are a concideration but we tend to look at the product first and the figures last.
The fat ebvs I read as being excellant-- the lower the figure
= the leaner the carcase.

mulga":2wvqwche said:
The fat ebvs I read as being excellant-- the lower the figure
= the leaner the carcase.

Interesting.... can I ask why you want a leaner carcase? As I've always understood it, we want our fat EBVs to be as close as possible to positive= increase in cover as well as marbling. Depends which market you are catering for I suppose but I must admit this is the first time I've heard someone chasing low fat figures!

Back again. Fat cover in general I go for a leaner -hopefully balance rib and rump. Once on feed [barley mix] we have no problems with overfat -- 22 mm is our max -we averace 15 to 20 mm at 120 days on feed. Aiming for the EU market . We want even coverage with good marbeling . We do look to incresed eye muscle and imf

That Bundaleer heifer was sweet! I picked her out in the catalogue but really couldn't warrant buying another open heifer... that and the bidding went too high for me!

Latest posts