source and age verified

Help Support CattleToday:

Weaver

Reaction score
We sold our last load of cattle to USPB in Dodge City. They just recently sent a letter stating that they are paying $35 per head for source and age verified cattle. How does one go about getting their cattle age and source verified and also is their anyone out there selling their cattle to USPB and getting a premium for this. If so, what type of program are you using?

Trying "angus source" for the first time this year on a group of calves. $35 seems like quite a premium. Well worth the $50 per group charge from the AAA.

There are a bunch of age and source verified programs. Your state dept of ag probably runs one, vetrinary assocition has one, Pfizer has one and probably the other drug companys as well, Red Angus association has one.

Weaver":ifxkcnq8 said:
We sold our last load of cattle to USPB in Dodge City. They just recently sent a letter stating that they are paying $35 per head for source and age verified cattle. How does one go about getting their cattle age and source verified and also is their anyone out there selling their cattle to USPB and getting a premium for this. If so, what type of program are you using?

I know that Angus, Red Angus, Gelbvieh, and Limousin beeds all have ear tags to identify age and source verified calves. Other breeds may have them, too. The requirements for each are probably different, so you should check with the breed association of the bull you're using and see what sort of program they offer. Our state cattleman's assn has a program. You might check with your extension office and see if they have anything going.

Check with your state department of agriculture. Missouri has a program that allows you to qualify as your own QSA after you let them audit your books and management practices. Then all you have to do is buy your tags and put them on.

Green Creek":5vvwqzqc said:
Check with your state department of agriculture. Missouri has a program that allows you to qualify as your own QSA after you let them audit your books and management practices. Then all you have to do is buy your tags and put them on.

JRS informed me that the state was losing the funding for the program, and it will be discontinued.

JMichal":myblng4i said:
JRS informed me that the state was losing the funding for the program, and it will be discontinued.

Contacted the state rep for the program and ask him if it was being canceled. Here's his response:

False! The Missouri QSA Age & Source program has two programs, MFA and Missouri Veterinary Medical Association that are no longer participating. MFA is using another program for age and source verification while MVMA will no longer enroll producers or issue age and source tags.

dun":2rz2nbj0 said:
JMichal":2rz2nbj0 said:

Contacted the state rep for the program and ask him if it was being canceled. Here's his response:

False! The Missouri QSA Age & Source program has two programs, MFA and Missouri Veterinary Medical Association that are no longer participating. MFA is using another program for age and source verification while MVMA will no longer enroll producers or issue age and source tags.

JRS informed me they are looking at private enterprise. PVP for their Age/Source in lieu of QSA.
Wish everyone would get on the same page. It is confusing enough without this Bovine Scatology. :tiphat:

My vet had me contact the Missouri Cattlemen's association. they have a program for their members. So now I have more incentive to join.

Latest posts