Sore/Open spot on bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Jackdaws

Reaction score
We are in the process of possibly purchasing some Angus cattle from an uncle. We went over to his place today to get a look at them and there is 1 bull 2 pregnant cows due any day now and 1 steer. The 2 pregnant cows looked real good. The steer seemed to be kinda small for being about a year old. He (uncle) said he must be a runt. The bull is the main concern we have on buying them. It has a spot about the size of a silver dollar on its rear end left side just next to the tail. Its bright red but does not appear to be bleeding or oozing anything (we didnt get any closer than 10 feet away) We asked what that spot was and he replied that it is where he rubbed it on a tree. The bull was licking the spot also. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be and how to treat it? We think we are getting a good deal on them as is 4 head plus the 2 unborn calves for about $1300.00. We have never had angus before we have 4 limosine now. Should we get these even if the bull has a spot and the steer is a "runt"?

We are going to give an answer tomorrow or so.

Thanks,
Susan = )

We think we are getting a good deal on them as is 4 head plus the 2 unborn calves for about $1300.00.

If it sounds too good to be true...it probably is. Over here, just ONE bred black angus cow ready to calve is going to cost an easy eleven hundred, or more.

Well appearently the uncle is sick of dealing with all of the animals they already have 5 horses and 7 dogs. Do you think it could be lice or ringworm on the bull?

My thought would be maybe some fungus. Ringworm possibly. Does it look scabby or pussy? Any drainage coming from it? If you were to get them try treating that spot & any others you see with iodine or some fungicide before bringing them to your place to try to keep it from being spread around your farm. The steer may be small because of genetics or diet related. You are getting a deal with all that is included. I am sure your uncle would tell his own family if there was something wrong with them. At least I would hope he would!

I think we are going to get the cows. We now have to find someone witha trailer to bring them to us. The uncle lives about 20 miles from us. We dont have a trailer. 3 of the cows were here when we bought the property. The calf we just got about 3 months ago delivered to us right before a hurricane(that was a nice welcome for her). We dont even have a truck. Isnt that sad? We sold it because of rising gas prices. We drag the fields using a honda civic. = ) We have been keeping our eyes peeled for a "farm truck", good enough to get hay/feed in but no to drive to work in. Right now we use my dads truck.

I am beginning to lean towards the bull having Lice. If/when we get them here we can seperate him off from the other cows. If the 2 pregnant cows have/have had lice will that affect the unborn calves? We will treat all of the cows just in case but should we be careful with the pregnant ones? They are due this month. You can probably tell we are new to the cattle industry.

Thanks

From the description of the sore it sounds more like a rub/scrape/whatever. From the location I wouldn't think lice and if it's red it sounds more like a raw spot then even ringworm.
I'ld be carefull hauling the bred cws and do the whole move in a couple of trips rather then getting the cows too excirted or crowded. The steer I'ld just haul to the sale barn and hope to get aa decent price.
Do you have enough good quality pasture to support all of the animals you're planning on having? If you're going to have to get hay and or grain, a civic will get pretty crowded.

dun

Latest posts