soooo tired

Help Support CattleToday:

wild one

Reaction score
i need help please. read and post here regularly but i did not want to be recognized. big problem
generational farming.
we have been here for over a decade and though we have seen some changes there have been major set backs. I am the Daughter in law. (DIL). this is my husand's parents farm. It seems about every six months for the last 5 years big fights. We were out here for about 4 years before we owned cattle. we worked along side them on there herd. they were gracious enough to pay 300/mo for 9.5 month of the year. The FIL had a seasonal job that was 9.5 mo long. We were also paid a percentage of the calf sales. we also paid a percentage of the expenses. ususally the expenses were about 5 percent less than the cattle sales so we wouldn't feel the stress so bad. If they bought feed we paid. Machinery expenses we paid. The deal was that our work in the farm would be thought of as sweat equity when we were to buy the farm. A little better deal so to speak.
After 5 years of living with this arrangement the MIL decided to split the heard 50/50. them/us.
so the expenses were accordingly. We did not pay for he cows, not that we did not offer but we earned them i guess. I shoud note that my husband worked along side his father. the same long hours when we did not have the cattle. Here at that time the going rate for wages was 50/day or 8 and hour. we got 300/mo plus a percentage of 50 calves sold. We paid the our share of the expenses on these calves. I know that i said this earlier and i'm rambling, back to the story.

As time went on, the FIL decreased his cattle. So did his share of the expenses. Our cattle was more so we paid more. We offered to pay rent on the land and their reply was not until the FIL got out of cattle.
So he did.
During none of this was there any mention of a succession plan. Tried but deaf ears prevailed.

We bought there machinery at fair market value. No deals here. the land when sold will be for the assessed value.

we just got out of a sticky situation this fall with the home Q and thought we were in the all clear. SO NOT
Here is the problem:
Since the FIL got out of cattle got out of cattle we have paid rent in the form of paying the taxes on the land. reason...the FIL does not want the responsiblity of fencing, fertilizing maintaining machinery to do the job etc. So my husband and i do it. We figure if we put in the input costs of maintaining the pasture and hayland we are not going to pay high rent. In our mind you can't have it all. It would be like paying twice for something.
In their mind we are jsut paying the taxes and not rent. The guy down the road gets 4x as muc money for his land rental. this is their reasoning.
BUT the guy down the road frst off has pasture only, maintains the fence, checks the cows, pays the hydro for watering the cows, replaces the provided mineral and salt, up keeps the oiler etc.
The in laws want the money with out the work or responsiblity.
We are willing to pay what they want if they maintain the land. i should mention that the land (pasture and hay) are over 30 years old and any new fields, my husband has worked.
In lew of rent on the home quarter my husband maintains the corrals that he rebuilt, the fences, the buildings, and the land. He pays the hydro on the farm except for their house. the FIL has free use of the machinery and pays nthing when he uses the farm hydro. Now they are balking at us not paying rent for the home quarter. this was there choice. we offered. but it was agreed we maintain the buildings, hydro etc.

MY QUESTION

Are we being unfair to them? Should we pay more as well as the input costs on the land?

i think a carreer change is in right order but my husband
disagrees

We are at wits end any suggestions?

Oh yeah any one starting farming with the family, this is why you and the whole family need a succession plan. Sothings like this can be avoided and the family be at some sense of peace.

I know i rambled and i hope you can make cow or calf out of what i just said.
thanks,
Wild one

Because I have been here and got the scars to prove it I will only say one thing.

If you cannot sit down and sort this out with family - including the use of a facilitator if necessary - and soon - you are ALL at risk.

Sooner or later this will all come crashing down upon you and unfortunately it is likely you that will be out on the street - especially if there are other family members involved.

They will want and by the way - are legally entitled to their share.

There are a great many ways to solve the problem - I will not provide mine publicly - but if you do not do something soon, there will come a time when death will bring out the true "grief and greed".

You think it may be bad now? Just wait.

And I can assure you that you will not get what you believe you are entitled to. In fact that land you are often standing on might very well be sold into 20 acre parcels and you will have no control.

So - are you being unfair?

It does not matter what we think - it matters what they think - ask, get it in writing if necessary.

Should you pay more?

You actually did not give us all the numbers and we do not need to know - but once again this is something that needs to be discussed with the principles - sooner better than later.

Finally - I do not know your relationship - but as DIL you are in a tenuous position.

Looks to me like you already know what the problem is - planning for hand over and the future.

Tell hubby to stand up and start acting like a big dog - it may be him that needs to sort this out. It is up to the actual owners to make the final decision - if they will not - then why are you guys hanging around?

Waiting to get kicked off by the new owners after Mom (MIL) and Dad (FIL) are in the ground? Because that is what will likely happen. As I am sure you are aware - this is almost a daily happening in North America.

If you - the DIL - make the first move you may be considered the trouble maker - let Hubby start the process - or you and he may as well start looking for new housing and jobs.

Best of luck in this one,

Bez>

thank you.
i thought we hit the bottom of the barrel this past fall.
these last couple of years has seen me step out of the confrontation and push the man to do it. he has fianlly seen the light...reason for the bottom of the barrel this past fall but he gets gun shy. i almost broke my rule and stepped in but decided against it.

We have asked for them to work with us through a facilitator who understands these issues but the deaf ears prevailled.

Numbers, by the time they get the school tax rebate and the full taxes paid for about 160 -180 per quarter free and clear. No expense.

Time for you and hubby to sit down and decide what YOU guys want. Then go to the folks.

If it ain't going to work then it may be time to move on.

OR ..........

You can do what some of us have done and hang on forever - and watch the lawyers and siblings and developers and grief and greed take everything.

If that happens you need to be a strong person to keep a marriage and family together.

Not everyone is as strong as they think and they will not know until it happens.

You two set out your priorities first and then go to the folks - if it works great but otherwise you now know where you are going.

Have a plan and a backup to the plan. You may be forced into a walk away - but better now than 20 years from now when you are that much older.

The clock ticks and we can never get the time back.

On a second read, I also think your husband needs an education on what will / will not happen when the folks are dead. He may be living and hanging on for the big dream that might not take place.

Wait until the "outsiders" get involved - he may very well be in for a rude awakening.

To me the following comment says it all and I have already made up my mind - but that is not for me to make public - but read it closely again:

We have asked for them to work with us through a facilitator who understands these issues but the deaf ears prevailled.

I will be curious to see what others have to say about this.

Bez

thanks bez. i am curious also.
My husband has had a few rude awakenings in the last 6 mo and is growing up. He was afraid to confront because he didn't see the writing on the wall and his parents are old and was afraid of making one or both sick with stress.
I'm off to check cattle and then go to bed.
check back later
again thanks.

I changed a few things back one post - perhaps you need to re-read it.

His folks are old? Well that simply means they are closer to the place we all end up in.

Bluntly put - if affairs are not in order soon you may be looking for a new home and new employment no matter what the case.

If wishes were horses beggars would ride.

Seen it before and I know we will see it again - it comes up often enough - right here on these boards.

Sorry you are living it.

Off to bed for me - my very best thoughts,

Bez>

You really need to see an estate lawyer.

Laws vary not only by state in the USA, but I somehow feel you are in Canada.

Do they have other siblings?? Is there a will drawed up as to how the property is divided. If not, it will go to ALL heirs. Why haven't his parents already deeded it to your husband if that is their intentions???

I worked 15 years for Dept of Mental Health in MO and my job was to apply for benefits for the patients (social security, railroad, va, medicaid, etc...... basically any pension/income that was available for them) and I can guarantee you that families come out of the woodwork when one gets a backpayment or a lump sum of money and they just LOVE old "Aunt Gladys" and will be glad to take her home and care for her (even though they never visited her in the last 20 years) and will keep her just long enough to spend her money and then bring em back.

Bez is right on with this one. Hubby needs to stand up and be a man on this one. If things are not clearly understood about the future... then it needs to be discussed and put into writing, or a trust. As far as dealing with the issues at hand.. IE.. rent, land, cattle.. that needs to be talked about as well.
Get it all out on the table.. get it all straightend out. There should be no guessing games, and bad feelings.

Looks like you could get the numbers together. Show what you have spent and what you think they have spent. Also your labor vs "free" rent etc... and sit down with them and go over it all. If someone if coming up short then that will need to be fixed. Tell them what you are wanting in the future.

If they won't work with you then get out and get a place of your own. I agree with Bez> you will eventually get forced out. Might as well leave before you have invested more in it than you already have.

Sounds like this might be a source of stress for everyone involved and a split might make everyone involved happier. You and your husband might be doing a big favor to his parents and yourselves by going your own way.

Oh Boy... sorry to say this but my wife and I went through a very similar thing five years ago (only her family).

Suffice it to say, today we own our own farm, and have severed all contact with her family.

My advice, cut the cord and go your own way. You'll have an unbelievable feeling of accomplishment and pride in both your achievement and your relationship with your husband.

Some people would lay down their lives for their children, while others only seem to want to profit from them. Unfortunately, my wife got the latter.

thank you for all your comments. and i hear everything you all have said.
so today i have again laid it on the line for my husband. I told him i would like everything in writing. I also told him to call the local ag office and get some information on land rentals. He did and the ag office has developed a generic land agreement which you just fill in the blanks and sign. he has told his parents he wants to go this route and his dad has agreed. We go to town tomorrow to pick up the papers and work through the math.
it should be said that my husband called the guy his parents keep telling him gets the big bucks for pasture rent. Husband asked what it all included and then went to his father and said if you want these $ this is what you have to do. My husband's dad said he was to old to do this and taxes for the rent would be fine...in a contract.
as well there is to be a contract on joint ownership of equipment. there are some things we still share or we have helped to pay for. we want it in writing in the event someone passes then we don't have to prove partial ownership there will be a buy out price as well for these items.
I also made it known that even though the land has finally been sorted out verbally and eventually included in the will it should be written now incase something happens befor the will has been changed. If we are to make improvements on the land a buy out price should be set in this contract so that no one can dispute it.
I also told my husband there will be no delay. it must be done now or we do something else. Even if we pick up what we own on the farm and move.
As i re- read this i sound down right demanding and that's not how i want to come across. I just want all of us protected and treated fairly. Us, his sister and her husband (who both do not farm) and his parents.
As well my husband's dad has agreed that once this is done it is laid to rest and we get on with being a family and not drudging up the past.
this has all been said before and agreed upon before and then no follow through until the next fight.
I forget that rome was not built in a day.
i forget that it takes someone else to tell them this is how it should be done before they accept us saying the same thing.

case in point...we want to start to vaccinate ML vacinnes for IBR/BVD etc. after 2 years they agreed to killed vaccine only becasue the auctioneer told him he should vaccinate. it took 3 more years to switch to ML. And that was because we finally had enough cattle to "call the shots" so to speak. We said we are doing it for our cattle if you want your calves to live gotta do it. It was done.
I'm not prepared to wait five more years for this to be settled but i will give it a couple more months for progress to be made.
None of us are getting any younger
yet another rambling book. my sincerest apologies and many thanks for listening(reading) and the good advice.

wild one

a couple of things that have happened to my family

back in the 1960's my grandmother died leaving 12 children
she owned a little bitty 500 square foot house and those 12 children fought over it and it's furnishings
1 daughter didn't speak to about 5 siblings for 10 or 15 years and there are still hard feelings 40 years later...
and she had a will that divided everything equally...

in 1998 another grandmother died and her belongs were handled by an aunt.
I personally know that I was to receive 3 plates that had hung on the dining room wall my entire life (Grandma didn't redecorate ;-) )
I know this because Grandma handed me the piece of tape with my name on it (her handwriting) and I put it on the back of the plate!
well I don't have those plates and even though I'd love to have them - I just hope that my aunt gets hers someday!

Also - I'm one of 3 children set to inherit a farm from elderly parents and I'm the only one that works on the farm... see my upcoming problem????? The farm is in a trust situation with everything supposedly set out but.........

Unfortunately situations like these happen all the time. There are a lot of very good programs available through the extension service, and some of the local colleges that have to do with "Estate Planning".. which anyone with a "family farm" should attend. If your parents / grandparents / whoever owns the farm is not willing to "put it in writing", you run the risk of losing any sweat equity or verbal understanding you have. And risk alienating family.

Actually, I dodged the bullet you are taking.

When my parents place was sold, I was offered the chance to buy it. One sis wouldn't hear of it. She wanted me to buy into it with her on halves. I told her she could buy it but she said she couldn't afford it. So she convinced my parents to not sell it to me outright. I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, I went out and got my own, and took less. I think in the long run I was better off. I helped Dad all along but never ran cattle on his place, even tho he wanted me to.

thanks everyone.
i can't stress enough to the younger and up coming farming generation the need to discuss goals and plans with the older generation, to get the feel of what they expect and want. To Get It In Writing. To live on a different quarter.
To the older generation, succession plans are a necesary business plan and just because you don't know anyone who does it doesn't make it wrong. Just means you don't know what goes on behind the fences. That you need to express what you want and expect and listen to the younger generation as to what they want and expect.

my thoughts for the day.
thanks again
PS are there any generation farms that work with out the hard feelings?

Latest posts