soooo...................

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
I was thinking people say 2% of a cows body weight a day will do....so if a bale of hay weighs 1200 and i was feeding 2 heifers 1 weighing 450 the other 550 and a momma cow fissin to calve weighs about 1100 then how long would the bale last if i am feeding 12% protein pelletes every other day about 3 fourths of a 5 gallon bucket

The cattle haven't read the books and they are blissfully ignorant of their minimum needs. If they have access to the hay, they will eat on it until they feel full. IF the bale really weighs 1200 lbs, and IF it's in a ring or feeder so they can't tear it down and make bedding out of half of it, I would expect it to last around 2 weeks for those 3 head.

2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i go out and the excewss they have made fall i put back in the bale it isnt in a ring just out there and saturday will be a month it has been out there and they havent even ate half of it and yes it does weigh about 1200lbs (a huge bale)

Dixieangus":37u6qap2 said:
I was thinking people say 2% of a cows body weight a day will do....so if a bale of hay weighs 1200 and i was feeding 2 heifers 1 weighing 450 the other 550 and a momma cow fissin to calve weighs about 1100 then how long would the bale last if i am feeding 12% protein pelletes every other day about 3 fourths of a 5 gallon bucket

Depends on the quality of the hay or digestibility of it that that matters. Without knowing those factors an answer is just a wild guess. The lower the TDN the less the cow can eat. Hence, you can starve a cow to death with a plenty of hay in front of her all the time if the hay isn't any good.

http://foragesoftexas.tamu.edu/pdf/ForageQuality.pdf (scroll down to page 4)

Really, in my opinion you are going about it the wrong way. You should figure out how much hay the animals can/are eating or needs to eat, know the protien and TDN of the hay you are feeding, then figure how much/if you need to supplement by feeding whatever you choose to supplement with. Of course, somewhere in their you also need to know what the animals nutritional requirements are.

By the way, do you know how much 3 fourths of a 5 gallon bucket weighs? You also need to know that to know how many pounds of feed you are feeding.

A dry cow in these parts should be able to eat and maintain herself on 10% CP hay and not need protein supplementation. Around 10-12% for lactating beef cows.

Sorry this post sounds so not-helpful. :oops:

Waste is probably going to be a problem if you don't limit the time they have at the hay feeder. But if their were no waste of hay that bale should last about 3 weeks if it meets nutritional needs of the cows without futher supplements. Letting them have free access to the hay will greatly reduce how long it lasts.

Dixieangus":1exrpudl said:
2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i go out and the excewss they have made fall i put back in the bale it isnt in a ring just out there and saturday will be a month it has been out there and they havent even ate half of it and yes it does weigh about 1200lbs (a huge bale)
:lol2: If I put a bale out without a ring my bull will unroll it.

I'm surprised it has lasted that long if they have access to it all the time. Are they in a pen?

What vette said is the right way to go about it...but somehow I don't think you are going to go to the trouble for 3 head.

Oh, if it is crap hay, they will eat everthing else down to the dirt before they will eat the junk hay. Could be they are getting enough pasture grass and not wanting it right now. Like I said, just to many variables to give much advise without seeing or knowing more about what is going on.

it is good fertilizied hay and they are in a small pasture 4 acresor so and i feed about 50lbs of feed in a week or a little over a week and i guess ill just have to let it play out ....But almost a month and they have about eaten half but time will tell timel will tell...

chippie":3kvbbksw said:
If it is not in a ring, the cows will pee, poop and lay in it, and they won't eat what is soiled.
Without a bale rign or some sort of feeder, day 1 dinning room, day 2 bedroom, day 3 bathroom. That has alwasy seemed pretty accurate to me

i would buy a hay ring.but a 1200lb bale should last 20 to 30 days.but alot really depends on how much hay they eat in a day.

warm temps, a little grass & a little grain makes it last a lot longer. sounds like you have already got a good idea how long it will last if it is half gone. when it gets colder they will eat a lot more