Sometimes you have to check your GSF!

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
It's August right? Supposed to be hot and dry in Texas (and elsewhere). Aphids invaded my hay patch so I jumped on the cutter right? Cut Wednesday. Scheduled to help neighbor get his hay into his storage area today and help fight the cows off in the process which WILL happen!

Checked the weather report just now and rain scheduled for tonight and tomorrow...half an inch...surprise surprise....now where did that come from? Me having hay on the ground no doubt! Never fails. Always fighting the weather.

I built my house back in '79 and selected August, even though the hottest month, supposed to be the driest right? Wrong! Rained on me 3 times before I could get it weathered in (30 day timeline). I put down R 19 bats between the floor joists with the moisture barrier and all. Filled up with water. Had to crawl under the house and cut a slit about every 6' or so to let the water drain out. Apparently the wood survived, floor still solid.

Oh well life's a beach and then you die. Glad my livelihood doesn't depend on this farming thing. Would drive me totally nuts......and I'd probably starve to death! No not probably. Grin.

Didn't work for me....Been 30 days since the last rain. Cut down and rolled up 52 acres since Monday. Health issues kept my baling buddy from helping so I did it alone. Noticed it was the hottest 4 days of the year so far. Definitely need to get those AC's working. :nod: Now to get it put in the barn, but I'm taking the day off!

Your right vett. Every time they come into Louisiana and head east, they change the weather pattern. We were having a good chance of rain every week and now we haven't had one in over three weeks. Starting to get some big cracks.

Usually it takes a Hurricane this time of year to get some water. Just read on the Atlantic 5 day forecast that the Tropical Depressions were "struggling" (term they used) to make something out of themselves. I know folks usually in the line of fire are happy about that....but the season is young. We'll see.

Got ⅜" yesterday with same forecast for early AM Sunday. Clear after that.

Radar has been dotted with little showers all around. Ran through a little spit yesterday coming from Bryan but wasn't enough to run the wipers.

Update. Sunday afternoon around 2:00 I checked the hay and it was stuck to the ground and damp on the bottom with damp soil. Got out the rake and got after it. When finished, I stopped by the first part I raked and had a look. Feeling crispy, smell returning, a few dead aphid carcasses here and there, no live ones, so sticky feeling......aah life is good! Weather is forecast for hot and dry. It will make.

Latest posts