Something a bit different

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Thought I'd show you something a bit different. This is my granddaughter Ashlee and her friend and sailing partner Natalie sailing Ash's 29er. It is not the photo I intended to upload but it is a good one with them on a reach with the spinnaker up.

Ash is the skipper on the helm and Natalie is out on the trapeze. They have only been sailing the 29er for about a month, they are 15 years old and have only just graduated from the single sail sabot boat that most kids in Australia start out on. Ashlee did the research and wanted the 29er as her next boat, they are certainly an exciting boat. I was sceptical about it as it is a huge step up from the sabot and many kids just find them too hard and then give sailing away but the two girls have showed a lot of dedication with training and have had far fewer capsizes than most sailing them. My wife Pam basically bought the boat for her and put the hard word on me to chip in with a couple of thousand but it is up to her parents now for maintenance and new sails when they get into serious championships.

Ash has showed a lot of natural talent as a skipper, has a good feel for the conditions and picks the wind shifts well. She was asked by the president of the school sailing club to skipper one of the schools 125 boats in a regatta over Easter with his daughter as crew who is 2 years older than Ash as it was her last year at the school and he thought it would give her the best chance to do well. In a boat that Ash was not familiar with they ran a close 2nd in a big fleet from all over the country and it was by far the highest placing that anyone from the school had got.

The 29er is a step up boat to the 49er which is the Olympic class boat. I think they will need a sponsor if they decide to have a shot at the Olympics down the track with a 49er but who knows, Natalie's mother sailed a laser at the Atlanta Olympics and ran 4th I think. I do know they have ambitions for Natalie but the girls just love their sailing and have great friends in it that they hang out with.

Ken

Ken, that's a neat story. She must have the determination and drive to be excellent!

One of the many results of sporting activities that applies to life is to learn to anticipate. A skill often referred to a common sense.

Whether one is preparing soil, planting, harvesting, driving, sailing, raising kids or any other activity we need to learn "what's next" before it happens. I'll bet she's good at that already!

D2Cat":26d7e8yb said:
Ken, that's a neat story. She must have the determination and drive to be excellent!

One of the many results of sporting activities that applies to life is to learn to anticipate. A skill often referred to a common sense.

Whether one is preparing soil, planting, harvesting, driving, sailing, raising kids or any other activity we need to learn "what's next" before it happens. I'll bet she's good at that already!
Thanks D2, yeh I think she is good at anticipating. This boat sails so fast everything happens so quickly her brain is working fast and she has to be aware of spatial surroundings as well, her crew mate is a very good sailor as well and is on the same wavelength as Ash and they talk and work as a team so a lot of life skills there.

Thanks M-5

Ken

Bigfoot, although Australia is about the size of the US the centre of our country is pretty arid and so our population is concentrated along the coast and in particular the East coast fronting the Pacific Ocean so water sports are very big. I spent most of my life in Brisbane though now I live west of the coastal range on my farm. Brisbane fronts onto Moreton Bay which is formed by two offshore sand islands and is a large expanse of semi sheltered water. There are lots of marinas along the foreshore especially where my family lives where a couple of smaller islands inside the bay form a smaller bay just ideal for dinghy sailing.
I introduced my family to boating and sailing in a small 26' keel boat and my daughter Kerri used to crew for me when I did some club racing. I didn't realise what impact it had on her at the time but she was keen to get her kids involved in sailing and my grandson who is 3 years younger than Ash is a keen sailor in the sabots and doing very well also though his interests are a bit more diversified like they have school holidays at the moment and he is up here with his father riding motorbikes.

Ken

I never got the liking to being on the water, but it's great to see them enjoying it, and doing so well. If this is any sign of things to come, they could be on to a great thing!

I did a little wind surfing when I was younger, just playing around, and had my heart in my throat many a time when a good wind caught the sail :shock: . What they are doing is so much more advanced and faster, I take my hat off to the girls...best of luck to them Ken!!